ImageImageImageImageImage

What the hell are we trying to accomplish?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

What the hell are we trying to accomplish? 

Post#1 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:11 pm

8th seed? Young teams are better than us...Old teams are better than us..So WTF are we doing?

http://media.knbr.com/knbr/nelson.mp3
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: What the hell are we trying to accomplish? 

Post#2 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:22 pm

LF75 wrote:8th seed? Young teams are better than us...Old teams are better than us..So WTF are we doing?

http://media.knbr.com/knbr/nelson.mp3

Nellie's positioning the team.

He's saying we're not that good: Translation, "we need some help front office".

He's got us on the brink of a second stinit in the playoffs, but he's also saying that we need a few more players to move into that next level.

He's saying the his young guys aren't ready.

He's not saying trade them he's saying they're not ready.

But what he's trying to convey to management, is that we don't have enough, we need more.

The problem is, his guys aren't losing some of these close games that would lend to a quicker fix. Or a quicker trigger to deal.

Nellie always has something up his sleeve. You LF know this more than anybody. So I'm convinced he's not playing any young guys, because he wants a veteran. Or veterans. He wants Mullin to make a deal, but if not, then he'll try and make it for him.

Get him some help. Loosen the purse strings and get it done.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
eden
Junior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by eden » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:29 pm

As much as I would like to see a move, I don't think they want to mess with the chemistry.

Any big that is going to make a real difference is too much money, meaning Al would have to go.
Anybody else might give them a couple more wins, but not push them farther in the playoffs.
They are stuck in a quandary.

Looks like the only players they might move is Pie or POB, so what can you get for 6 mil that would really make a huge difference?

The other problem the W's have, they are only one injury away from sucking. If Jackson, Baron, or Ellis goes so goes the team.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by mistatwo mayn » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:31 am

We're trying to lower expectations and get lucky.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#5 » by Hopper15 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:39 am

Nellie needs to catch Lenny ASAP, so he can pretend he's sick and hand over the reigns to Keith Smart while still getting paid. :wink:
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by crzy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:16 am

mistatwo mayn wrote:We're trying to lower expectations and get lucky.

ding ding ding
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#7 » by KR4 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:04 am

I have no idea what we are trying to accomplish. This team is going nowhere fast
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by crzy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:19 am

The West is too deep. It's 8th seed or bust for us this year.

We're far too inconsistent. Not only are we inconsistent from game to game, hell we're inconsistent from quarter to quarter. It's almost as if everything about a Don Nelson coached team breeds inconsistency.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#9 » by FNQ » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:24 am

Its all leading towards something, just like with Dallas... we're going to bring in Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker... find another big man C and surround him with perimeter PFs that shoot 3s...

I have a good feeling about this team! :nod:
dareru
Freshman

Post#10 » by dareru » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:20 am

mistatwo mayn wrote:We're trying to lower expectations and get lucky.

i don't think luck can even help us right now :-?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#11 » by turk3d » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:26 am

dareru wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i don't think luck can even help us right now :-?

Maybe Nellie can start bringing him to the games.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:15 pm

Further evidence last night.

Baron was completely gased by the end of the game.

It's obvious that if Monta's not gonna play the way we know he can, then everything tends to fall on Baron's shoulders, as far as creating for the team.

Jax was ok at best, but it's clear we need another PG, or Monta's injured. If Monta is gonna play like last night we're in big trouble.

We should have and could have won that game last night, but Monta and Azu never made it to the arena. Those guys have to contribute or we can't finish teams off.

We're trying to accomplish another appearance into the playoffs. Anything less is a big disappointment.

So what has to happen is either:

We seriously involve Wright, Obee, and Belli.

Or, make a deal using the trade exception.

Or, we make another deal using MP, OBee, and a pick to get something else.

Standing pat is not gonna get it done.

What's maddening is that we've been saying this $h1t from the beginning of the year when we all saw that Obee would be a good back-up to Beans.

We all thought a few minutes from Wright would eventually work itself into 15 solid per game.

We all thought Belli would be contributing. Finding his confidence in ways other than the jumpshot.

I'm positive Nellie's pushing for a deal. Just look at Byron Scotts latest statements about needing bench help. Hell you know Nellie's saying those things, he's just saying them behind closed doors.

Well if they don't listen, then Nellie will go public and call out the front office. He'll get the media asking questions everyday about moves and when are they gonna happen.

I just feel like we're ahead of the curve on some of these things because we have the luxory of this being fun to us, but it's also clear that we know what this team can use and we're not confined to the salary cap.

We need help, lets use some of our own, and also make a deal.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#13 » by Chris Cohan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:23 pm

Mylie,

Nice points in there.

Nelson is not in a strong position to put the front office at the center of the bench issues, especially considering it was his input and his input alone that drove almost all offseason acquisitions and resignings once the financial agenda had been set in place by management and once it became clear that options would be limited to no superstar addition and no bona fide, NBA-ready but Nelson-friendly rebounding help for Biedrins unless we hold out hope for Croshere's return (Just in time for waiving Mbenga pre-contract guarantee. Look who didn't get any burn in a textbook opening against a half court team! Oh. you say Lepper and Mullin just established that Mbenga is sticking around? Oh well).

He may not like it, he may secretly blame them for everything and for not having the Cubanesque intestinal fortitude to go for broke in pursuit of his Holy Grail Championship (though, in truth, everyone was too late once the Garnett work went for naught), but ultimately, he has played this as truly as it can be played as a real deal plan before having to mention possibly doing what was at least a small part of his intentions and agreement with management all along: aggressive reconstruction.

The start was piecemeal. The finish will not be.
Tivon
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Tivon » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:29 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Or, make a deal using the trade exception.

Or, we make another deal using MP, OBee, and a pick to get something else.

I would definitely say this would be the best option for us.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:42 pm

You know that if Nelson didn't have to follow the financial handcuffs that were placed on him in the off-season he'd have made a bigger splash via Trades or FA signings.

Signing Croshere may have been OK'd by Nellie, but that had $savings written all over it.

Same with Hudson. That move was terrible. Hudson was not the type of back-up PG this team needs. We need a guy who runs the offense and puts pressure on the other teams guards, Hudson did neither.

The Kosta move was pure Mullin who was fooled into believing that this kid would develope. Easily the worst move of the offseason next to Huddy. Huddy was cheap though so understandable from that point.

We have a good stretch coming up and hopefully we can get to a point where Nellie wont worry as much about using Brandan.

It would be nice if Nellie felt forced to use Obee in a game for an extended period and something great would happen to the kid. Something like a 4th quarter domination where he wins the game for us. It might force Nellies hand and get him into some good graces.

Let's face it the kid needs a break. He is due for something real good to happen to him. Plus we could use a shot blocking rebounder in the middle to spell Beans.
Khoee wrote “
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#16 » by Chris Cohan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:53 pm

Mylie10 wrote:You know that if Nelson didn't have to follow the financial handcuffs that were placed on him in the off-season he'd have made a bigger splash via Trades or FA signings.

Signing Croshere may have been OK'd by Nellie, but that had $savings written all over it.

Same with Hudson. That move was terrible. Hudson was not the type of back-up PG this team needs. We need a guy who runs the offense and puts pressure on the other teams guards, Hudson did neither.

The Kosta move was pure Mullin who was fooled into believing that this kid would develope. Easily the worst move of the offseason next to Huddy. Huddy was cheap though so understandable from that point.

We have a good stretch coming up and hopefully we can get to a point where Nellie wont worry as much about using Brandan.

It would be nice if Nellie felt forced to use Obee in a game for an extended period and something great would happen to the kid. Something like a 4th quarter domination where he wins the game for us. It might force Nellies hand and get him into some good graces.

Let's face it the kid needs a break. He is due for something real good to happen to him. Plus we could use a shot blocking rebounder in the middle to spell Beans.

I think you're absolutely right to focus on the clear priority to save money and increase flexibility heading into the coming two offseasons. But there were othe roptions than those chosen (and Croshere and Mbenga are both Nelson players in the important sense, different scenarios for the two but still clear ties). Hudson remains a complete mystery unless the Belinelli draft selection is put next to him and Croshere: the three pointer was Nelson's primary offensive weapon beside the run attack pace game with shooters/scorers from Day One. Hudson's defense left him long ago and Croshere's toughness/veteran savvy, helpful as it could have been, has been declining steadily over the last two seasons. Hence the prices, as you correctly point out.

But Belinelli did not have to be drafted and the operative offensive style catered to in GS has ruled out useful youth we had or had like Lasme and O'Bryant and alternative draft selections like Dudley, Cook, Javaris Crittenton (who will be logging heavy minutes for the Lakers, perhaps as early as the trading deadline once Farmar is shipped out of town-- talk about opportune trade value establishment), Glen Davis, etc., who either are not scorers, do not run well, or simply are not the idiotic draft pick Nelson heavily campaigned for based upon he and Mullin's combined four games of exposure to the kid and utter diregard for all scouting reports, statistical analyses, and the copious counter arguments available via review of tape available of in house college students coming out of high end college programs.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:03 pm

Good points Rowell.

I wanted Rodney Stuckey so badly in the draft. When I heard he had a draft promise from the pistons I was crushed. He would have solved so many of the problems we're having. He's big, a 1/2, scores, and can be electric.

Nellie had his heart set on Belli anyhow, so my point is moot. (also wanted Sean Williams).
Khoee wrote “
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#18 » by Chris Cohan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:11 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Good points Rowell.

I wanted Rodney Stuckey so badly in the draft. When I heard he had a draft promise from the pistons I was crushed. He would have solved so many of the problems we're having. He's big, a 1/2, scores, and can be electric.

Nellie had his heart set on Belli anyhow, so my point is moot. (also wanted Sean Williams).

Sean Williams :droop:

The knocks were legitimate in the same way they're legitimate for Jackson or Andersen: a strong coach should be able to work it out for the talent, within reason. Kidd and Frank look like they've got Williams' IMMENSE talent harnessed for now. We'll see if it holds.

The Warriors worked him out and didn't like his attitude, I'm told. Hardly mattered and that spin came my way well after the draft. Could just be cover up for missing on him due to draft position. Thornton would have been an unmitigated disaster over the long haul but that was the draft day philosophy: IMMEDIATE HELP.

Belinelli was a bad read by Nelson and Mullin.

No question, Williams playing like he has in NJ next to Biedrins would put Harrington to excellent use as a trade chip for a reserve wing option and perhaps a decent backup PG with something to offer for the year.

That is, if Nelson wasn't so enamored with the shooting.

Even Afflalo would be an improvement over Belinelli for any team with a legitimate defensive philosophy. Hence the reason he would have been a disaster as a Warrior. But he shoots no worse than Belinelli over his college career, relative to Belinelli's Euro career, and he's very smart even if a little slow. Sort of like a defense-first Azubuike platoon mate in the proper rotation, as but one alternative to Bustinelli.

Dudley's the pick if you want an all around swingman at 18 or lower.
BC got jobbed in the draft and has produced two of the best.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:26 pm

The Warriors feel like they should be a fourth seed based on the norm for the last 30 years; but the Lakers, Nuggets and Hornets are legitimate very good teams and are better than the Warriors. The Spurs and Suns better than those teams. The Rockets should be good but they are not good and the Trail Blazers should not be good but they are winning as if they were better than the Warriors. The Jazz are about as good as the Warriors but they are a bad match up for the Warriors.

Dallas might be the best in the West but they don't scare me. I think the Warriors will beat them again if they get in a seven game series with Dallas. When the Warriors really make an effort to play their best defense I think the Dallas ball handling break down again.

Let's hope the Warriors face Dallas again; but first the Warriors have to make the playoffs. The Warriors had better do something like acquire Kurt Thomas.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:36 pm

Liked Dudley also and had him on my list.

Basically I felt that from where we were picking then I wanted these guys.

Stuckey first
Williams second
Dudley 3rd
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors