ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Niners got Nellie clone as offensive coordinator

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#21 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:20 am

St.Nick wrote:Nolan is a chump. Talks a big game, wins 5 games a year.

Yeah, but he has nice suits.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#22 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:29 am

And did I imagine that Hill got a multi-year extension?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#23 » by marthafokker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:45 am

Matz has found good starting QB out of career backups. And Shaun Hill will benefit way more than Smith will.

If Smith cannot even beat up Hill out of the starting job, I say to dump him. Niners will probably save more money paying off his bonus, than paying his year's salary. With the money saved, Niners could upgrade the line in the FA market further.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#24 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:20 am

marthafokker wrote:Matz has found good starting QB out of career backups. And Shaun Hill will benefit way more than Smith will.

If Smith cannot even beat up Hill out of the starting job, I say to dump him. Niners will probably save more money paying off his bonus, than paying his year's salary. With the money saved, Niners could upgrade the line in the FA market further.

Think the Niiners might draft another QB this year? What do you think will possibly be out there at 7? Any potential franchise guys available?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
marthafokker
General Manager

Post#25 » by marthafokker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:23 am

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Think the Niiners might draft another QB this year? What do you think will possibly be out there at 7? Any potential franchise guys available?

7? 49ers are drafting between 27-29 depending on the playoff.

The 7th belongs to New England. You can thank Nolan for that one.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#26 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:26 am

marthafokker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

7? 49ers are drafting between 27-29 depending on the playoff.

The 7th belongs to New England. You can thank Nolan for that one.

What ? ? ?
marthafokker
General Manager

Post#27 » by marthafokker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:29 am

What ? ? ?

Niners traded their 2008 1st and 2007 4th for New England's 2007 1st (via Colts draft rights)... and drafted for Staley.

Niners traded for Colts 2008 1st last year... so we will be drafting between 27-29 depending on where Colts finish.

Got it? You can blame Nolan now you know what happened.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#28 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:39 am

Niners traded their 2008 1st and 2007 4th for New England's 2007 1st (via Colts draft rights)... and drafted for Staley.

Niners traded for Colts 2008 1st last year... so we will be drafting between 27-29 depending on where Colts finish.

Can't believe that. No wonder they've been hyping Staley so much lately. Getting ready for the fallout when all the fans realize this. New England, what a dynasty. May go undefeated again next year. lol. Thanks.
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#29 » by FaTaL » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:51 am

Niners need some wrs
FaTaL
Veteran

Post#30 » by FaTaL » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:53 am

i consider it a wash, if staley would of stayed for his senior year he would of been a top 10 pick anyways. we just got him a year early and he played fantastically except for the first half vs strahan in the giants game.
FaTaL
Veteran

Post#31 » by FaTaL » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:55 am

marthafokker wrote:Matz has found good starting QB out of career backups. And Shaun Hill will benefit way more than Smith will.

i'll be surprised if hill is still around with martz being hired as the o-cordinator. hill doesnt have the arm to play in a wide open offense like martz has. hill is a wco qb, nothing more
turk3d
RealGM

Post#32 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:17 am

FaTaL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i'll be surprised if hill is still around with martz being hired as the o-cordinator. hill doesnt have the arm to play in a wide open offense like martz has. hill is a wco qb, nothing more

Neither does Smith.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#33 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:25 am

Neither does Smith.

I'd say his pass accuracy is more the problem.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#34 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:31 am

Night Angel 1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd say his pass accuracy is more the problem.

Not a great arm. I think his weak arm is part of his accuracy problem. Unable to get enough zip on the ball to avoid the defenders. Has t owind up in order to get any zip which also one of the reasons he gets sacked so much. He's got an average to below average arm. Maybe some of it due to his injury. To his right shoulder wasn't it?
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#35 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:43 am

His slow release is part of the reason he gets sacked so much. I think his arm strength is above average however because he did make some deep throws and some throws with good velocity under Norv Turner.

Ron Jaworski on MNF against Seattle pointed out poor footwork is a big reason he has accuracy issues.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#36 » by Hopper15 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:48 am

More from the same blog entry above...

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=727976

Martz said looking at the tape he sees a lot of potential with the offensive line, and that he plans to build the offense around Frank Gore.

--He said Gore is the centerpiece, and they'll build around him.

--He said in watching the tape that both Alex Smith and Shaun Hill have great potential. He said both are accurate.

--Martz said he sees an offensive line that physical and athletic. He likes the rookie tackle (Staley). He said the pieces are here.

--As far as the receivers, he said the "potential is there." He said it is a matter of discipline and getting people on the same page.

--He said the best way to have Alex Smith start working with his fourth offensive coordinator in four years is to "wipe the board clean," He said he'll start with the basic of the offense, down to getting the snap from center.

--When asked if he is going to try to replicate what he had in St. Louis, Martz said he is going to be more pragmatic. He said the centerpiece is Gore. He said he'll have different players, so the situation is going to be different.

--He said he did not feel comfortable commenting on why the 49ers' offense was so bad last season.

--Smith and Hill are completely different styles of QBs. When asked what style of QB he prefers, Martz said, "Whoever completes the ball more. Accuracy is the biggest issue." He noted a preference for seeing the ball come out quickly and accurately, and he said both Smith and Hill are capable of doing that, from what he has seen.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#37 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:35 am

FaTaL wrote:i consider it a wash, if staley would of stayed for his senior year he would of been a top 10 pick anyways. we just got him a year early and he played fantastically except for the first half vs strahan in the giants game.

A wash?! Well that pick IS going to be top 10, maybe Pats can draft a guy who comes out early but would have been #1.
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#38 » by crzy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:20 am

It was a good hire, even though I'm really worried about how Frank Gore is going to be used next year.

You have to remember that while Martz is pimping Gore at the moment, saying he can use him like Faulk, etc., he also pimped Kevin Jones in Detroit and then proceeded to completely ignore the running game all season long.

We absolutely have to get Gore 300 carries or more next year. We NEED to re-establish him as a dominant running back and we can win games.

As far as the passing game is concerned, we need an established receiver. We should trade that Colts 1st round pick to the Bengals for Chad Johnson. Arnaz Battle, Darrell Jackson are possession receivers. They don't fit into Martz' vertical passing game.
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#39 » by bballguy50 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:17 am

I don't think we should be complaining much about the Martz hiring. At least he will bring something new and improved.

Outside of PWill and Gore (maybe Vernon), I'd trade anyone for a good WR. I get so frustrated that Vernon is just wasting away here, when he can be huge for us if we could get him the ball.

Anyone else think Walt Harris has fallen off some? He didn't seem like Pro-Bowl Harris for much of the season.

Oh yeah, and get Nolan outta here. I'd like to see Singletary take over.

Bring back Dennis Erickson!
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#40 » by bballguy50 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:18 am

I don't think we should be complaining much about the Martz hiring. At least he will bring something new and improved.

Outside of PWill and Gore (maybe Vernon), I'd trade anyone for a good WR. I get so frustrated that Vernon is just wasting away here, when he can be huge for us if we could get him the ball.

Anyone else think Walt Harris has fallen off some? He didn't seem like Pro-Bowl Harris for much of the season.

Oh yeah, and get Nolan outta here. I'd like to see Singletary take over.

Bring back Dennis Erickson!

Return to Golden State Warriors