ImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Barnes 2007/2008

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Jujuba69
Veteran
And1: 5

Matt Barnes 2007/2008 

Post#1 » by Jujuba69 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:29 am

He didnt work today as starter, but i like him to be the starting PF, because he can rebound and shoot very well.

Whats the deal with Barnes?

BTW, is he injured? What about the 8min game yeasterday, whats happened? Injury or just sucking+early fouls?

thanks.
With number 3, 6'9, From Virginia Union, Beeeeen Waaalace:
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#2 » by OptionZero » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:32 am

Prior to coming to the Warriors, Barnes bounced around because he played out of control and was turnover prone. He wasn't super gifted athletically at the 3 and didn't have a great shot.

With the Warriors, he added a 3P shot and was given a role as a floor-spacing power forward, rather than a mediocre SF. More time as a jumpshooter meant less drives into the lane where he'd turn the ball over.

Essentially, Nelson hid Barnes' flaws last year and gave him a chance to be productive in another role.

This year, Barnes has returned to his old ways, with erratic forays into the lane. The questionable decision making on a team already questionable mentally has been a poor fit.
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Re: Matt Barnes 2007/2008 

Post#3 » by NuWarriors » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:37 am

Jujuba69 wrote:
BTW, is he injured? What about the 8min game yeasterday, whats happened? Injury or just sucking+early fouls?

thanks.

He had the flu...
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#4 » by GSWhoopfan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:38 am

Barnes has not returned to his old ways...think about it. Nellie wont play the Matt Barnes from the Sixers, Knicks, etc days. Nellie put him in OT, not Al, but Barnes.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
Yi Jian Lian
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Yi Jian Lian » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:51 am

It'll be best for him to get less minutes than Buike.
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#6 » by MightyReds2020 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:31 am

It's hard to play PF for a pro-long time with his body/height...
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by mistatwo mayn » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:48 am

His fingaz is jacked
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#8 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:06 am

Again, it's the coaches responsibility to put his players in the best position for them to succeed. Barnes should not be a starter. He's capable of being a "supersub", a 6th man perhaps is where he should max out. Nellie insists on making him a starter to satisfy his own ego since he could "turn Barnes from a journeyman scrub into an NBA starter". This would just add to his "genius" label. How about just turning him from a journeyman to a solid NBA backup? Why wouldn't that be good enougn? From "genius" to just plain good judge of NBA talent. Continuing to try and make him a starter over guys like AL (as well as others) is just putting the guy in a position to fail. I still say he has a lot of value to this team, just shouldn't be (as many of you have said) starting. Similar in many ways to Pietrus. Turnover prone, great hustle player, bonehead mistakes, not too bright, fearless, good 3 pt shooter. Not too good at midrange jumper. A lot of parallels. Barnes probably a little smarter. Just put him back in his comfort zone and he'll be ok, energy guy off bench and good defender/rebounder.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#9 » by St.Nick » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:29 am

Yeah sure, its Nellie's ego which is making Barnes play like a (Please Use More Appropriate Word) monkey.

I think its a combo of things...

1) He's being focused on and having his flaws exposed by opponents
2) He's worried about his contract situation
3) His mom died like two months ago...that can shake someone for a long time...and this year I've seen I see Matt playing without confidence, he's like a hollow shell of himself from last year.

Bottom line, Matt is a journeyman NBA player. When he leaves GS he's going to go through about 3-4 other teams before quietly getting cut out of the NBA.

I love what he did for us last year, but at this point that run he had with us should be considered an outlier.
ajbry
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by ajbry » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:34 am

St.Nick wrote:Yeah sure, its Nellie's ego which is making Barnes play like a (Please Use More Appropriate Word) monkey.

I think its a combo of things...

1) He's being focused on and having his flaws exposed by opponents
2) He's worried about his contract situation
3) His mom died like two months ago...that can shake someone for a long time...and this year I've seen I see Matt playing without confidence, he's like a hollow shell of himself from last year.

Bottom line, Matt is a journeyman NBA player. When he leaves GS he's going to go through about 3-4 other teams before quietly getting cut out of the NBA.

I love what he did for us last year, but at this point that run he had with us should be considered an outlier.

Exactly. I like Matt and his heart is unquestioned, but overall he's best utilized as the 8th man strictly for energy and some threes.

Barnes is also vital to team chemistry - after all, he's the captain of the bench, as he likes to call it - and is a real scrappy player who takes some risks. Suited for less than 20 minutes a game, particularly when he's not shooting well.

Additionally, I've never understood why journalists have referred to him as a "point forward" ala Jack, because if he brings the ball up the court (which these days is an infrequent occurrence), he doesn't initiate anything.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#11 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:54 am

Matt is slumping, but his play HAS NOT been uniformly bad this year. There were several games where he was one of the best passers on the floor.

What's going on is that we're still tinkering too much with rotations, lineups and units. Barnes is as unsettled as many of our guys and instead of playing within a defined role and predicatble circumstance, he's trying to wing it.

He'll be fine when we settle into a playoff run rotation.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
turk3d
RealGM

Post#12 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:11 am

Sleepy51 wrote:Matt is slumping, but his play HAS NOT been uniformly bad this year. There were several games where he was one of the best passers on the floor.

What's going on is that we're still tinkering too much with rotations, lineups and units. Barnes is as unsettled as many of our guys and instead of playing within a defined role and predicatble circumstance, he's trying to wing it.

He'll be fine when we settle into a playoff run rotation.

You know Sleepy, you brought out an interesting point regarding last nights game which I had totally forgot about. We've been harping on Nellie's bizarre starting lineups (of which you are probably the main instigator) but in that first quarter (wasn't online so unaware of the comments going back and forth), the entire team looked so confused and it seemed like no one knew what the heck they were doing. They looked almost like they had never played together before. I was livid, screaming and cursing at the TV. They were all bad, Barnes being absolutely terrible. The only one who appeared to have his head screwed on right was Biedrins if I remember correctly who I think had just one shot (which he made of course). It wasn't until Nellie brought in Pietrus (and shortly after Big Al) who hit a couple of 3s that they started making shot.s It was amazing. And to think they were able to come back. But the point is they looked more or less like a pickup team playing street ball (and bad street ball at that). Nellie really needs to get his act together or whe're going to be in deep $**** I'm afraid.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#13 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:01 am

So many excuses for this guy... rotations and a bad finger don't make you try a skip pass through the middle of the key, from one end of the arc to the other... Dropping rebounds off his good hand, just in general making stupid plays...

Our bench consists of a lot of inconsistent players... and Barnes is the captain. Makes perfect sense, actually :D
warriortone
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#14 » by warriortone » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:38 am

His Mom died recently from a battle with cancer. Anyone who has been through that sort of thing doesn't need to look any further than that. I hope at some point this season he can contribute again, but I won't blame him if he doesn't.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#15 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:22 am

warriortone wrote:His Mom died recently from a battle with cancer. Anyone who has been through that sort of thing doesn't need to look any further than that. I hope at some point this season he can contribute again, but I won't blame him if he doesn't.

:banghead:

Forgot about that...

That kind of thing can really mess with your mind... I mean I still dont want him on the court as much, but I can really sympathize with that :(

Damn I feel like an ass now :/
turk3d
RealGM

Post#16 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:27 am

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:banghead:

Forgot about that...

That kind of thing can really mess with your mind... I mean I still dont want him on the court as much, but I can really sympathize with that :(

Damn I feel like an ass now :/

We know what you meant Reggae. It's really Nellie's fault for keeping him out there if he's having problems.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:07 am

Barnes is a versatile player but that doesn't mean he's going to always succeed in all situations. He can cover up his weaknesses well with good energy but at some point against the better teams not having any NBA level strengths is going to catch up with him.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#18 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:39 am

Barnes is not great but he is not horrible either... he's a rotation guy who usually brings energy (a good thing), is in a bit of a slump, but who can do a number of things and is low-paid.

I still think I'd rather have him than Dunleavy, never mind the money savings.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#19 » by marthafokker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:45 am

3.5 Mil is low paid? Barnes could not even get a good contract from anyone.

With this Mully, he was hoping Barnes = Marion for that price... :D
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by mistatwo mayn » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:52 am

510; I'm in favor of benching him or giving him the red light to do anything besides D until he's injury free; he's playing with the type of injury Lebron sat out for.

Return to Golden State Warriors