ImageImageImageImageImage

Hoopshype: Pietrus for either Gadzuric, Villanueva, etc.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#21 » by -bob- » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:10 am

he could be better. if he's worse you don't have to play him, whats the risk?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#22 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:17 am

Warriors are not going to be major players in FA, and anyway, guys always get overpaid that route. Better to hold onto your core guys, make smart decisions about your borderline players (get good value), draft players who will contribute down the line, and make good trades.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#23 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:24 am

If Baron were to opt out (not likely but possible), that 3.5 million extra that we can start a Arenas or Brand contract off with could be critical...The idea of locking us in to a certain scenario this summer because we want to trade for Charlie Trainwreck? You guys use some goofy logic I tell ya. :lol: All I can do is laugh...
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#24 » by -bob- » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:32 am

hey LF, if we're going that route then we should trade Kosta and our 1st next year for expirings, thats more capspace!
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#25 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:39 am

No way Baron opts out. And he's said as much.
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#26 » by crzy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:05 am

LF75 wrote:If Baron were to opt out (not likely but possible), that 3.5 million extra that we can start a Arenas or Brand contract off with could be critical...The idea of locking us in to a certain scenario this summer because we want to trade for Charlie Trainwreck? You guys use some goofy logic I tell ya. :lol: All I can do is laugh...

As if that is likely :lol:
bill curley II
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#27 » by bill curley II » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:01 pm

LF75 wrote:If Baron were to opt out (not likely but possible), that 3.5 million extra that we can start a Arenas or Brand contract off with could be critical...The idea of locking us in to a certain scenario this summer because we want to trade for Charlie Trainwreck? You guys use some goofy logic I tell ya. :lol: All I can do is laugh...

:clap:

Here's the math for people:
If Baron opts out and we have Biedrins' hold, that puts our salary at 38M. Add in a mid 1st rounder (~1.5-2 mil) and CV (3.5 mil), thats an additional 5.5M that puts us at 43.5M. The projected cap is 58M, so that leaves 14.5M.

The two targets would be Gil and EB. 14.5M would be enough to offer a max contract for Arenas, but not for Brand (>7 yrs in the league). And even if we get Gil starting at 13.5M per year, then that leaves us with no midlevel exception, and having to fill the remaining 4 spots in the roster with minimum salaried players.

So even though the odds of Baron, EB and/or Gil, and having one of them sign is very very low, it's still worth it to save that extra bit to facilitate that, rather then take on CV.

Yes we still need another big this year, but considering those cap ramifications, I'd rather sign a D-Leaguer like Elton Brown or Rod Benson and take the marginally hit in talent. At the very worst, if we do trade Pietrus for CV, the Bucks had better well be willing to take Kosta as well.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#28 » by turk3d » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 pm

[quote="bill curley II"]-= original quote snipped =-

:clap:

Here's the math for people:
If Baron opts out and we have Biedrins' hold, that puts our salary at 38M. Add in a mid 1st rounder (~1.5-2 mil) and CV (3.5 mil), thats an additional 5.5M that puts us at 43.5M. The projected cap is 58M, so that leaves 14.5M.

The two targets would be Gil and EB. 14.5M would be enough to offer a max contract for Arenas, but not for Brand (>7 yrs in the league). And even if we get Gil starting at 13.5M per year, then that leaves us with no midlevel exception, and having to fill the remaining 4 spots in the roster with minimum salaried players.

So even though the odds of Baron, EB and/or Gil, and having one of them sign is very very low, it's still worth it to save that extra bit to facilitate that, rather then take on CV.

Yes we still need another big this year, but considering those cap ramifications, I'd rather sign a D-Leaguer like Elton Brown or Rod Benson and take the marginally hit in talent. At the very worst, if we do trade Pietrus for CV, the Bucks had better well be willing to take Kosta as well.[/quote]
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mulson would be willing to trade KP?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by St.Nick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Trade KP to get Charlie Villanueva and Gilbert Arenas....?

You guys are off in the clouds of magical fairy land.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#30 » by DIO » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Pietrus for Villanueva

plz
Golden State
Senior

Post#31 » by Golden State » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 am

Sign him. He's tall, quick, fits nelli-style, is cheap this year and next, 23 years old and has something to prove before 2009/2010, his Free Agent season.

He improves a weak area.

MP for CV is a great fit for both teams. If it's the money-thing throw in Croshere's (2 year?) deal and take back an expiring contract, Bucks have a few so it should not be a prob.

Of course, ...Miami's Udonis Haslem is a star PF and much better than CV but also costs $20 mil over 3 years -- AND would require some young, cheap talent going back to Miami to convince them to give him up. Maybe a protected 1st round pick, BWright, MP, NBelli or Perovic.

...Udonis would take GSW to the next level now with his 3 year contract. The same 3 years that Shaq kills Miami's chances with $20+ annually for nada.

It is a shame for Udonis to waste these 3 years at Miami.
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by FGump » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 am

bill curley II wrote:-
The two targets would be Gil and EB. 14.5M would be enough to offer a max contract for Arenas, but not for Brand (>7 yrs in the league).

Arenas and Brand are in the same category. A max contract for either (using a 58M cap) would start at 17.4M.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#33 » by old rem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:56 am

LF75 wrote:So you want to give up a big chunk of our *08 crazy FA summer* flexability for Charlie Trainwreck? :droop:

I'm not even going get started with Gad and his contract..Yikes!!

Well put

Pietrus's limitations have been beat like a dead horse-but you get Charlie V..and you still got an imperfect player who sometimes does some stuff well-or not.

Gadz? I doubt he is better than POB if you just let POB play a week oir two. Then there's the $ part.....Gadz has a deal that he can't earn. In IDEAL conditions-he just ain"t worth that money. Here? He's worth a bit less. With the W's leaving a number of better players hanging as possible FA's...no chance of reversing the trend for a minor asset.

A Pietrus for CV deal...maybe..but I don't see a quantum leap in that. No to Gadz. Only if we were unloading a nasty contract or getting plenty of sweetener does that go down.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#34 » by old rem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 am

Golden State wrote:Sign him. He's tall, quick, fits nelli-style, is cheap this year and next, 23 years old and has something to prove before 2009/2010, his Free Agent season.

He improves a weak area.

MP for CV is a great fit for both teams. If it's the money-thing throw in Croshere's (2 year?) deal and take back an expiring contract, Bucks have a few so it should not be a prob.

Of course, ...Miami's Udonis Haslem is a star PF and much better than CV but also costs $20 mil over 3 years -- AND would require some young, cheap talent going back to Miami to convince them to give him up. Maybe a protected 1st round pick, BWright, MP, NBelli or Perovic.

...Udonis would take GSW to the next level now with his 3 year contract. The same 3 years that Shaq kills Miami's chances with $20+ annually for nada.

It is a shame for Udonis to waste these 3 years at Miami.

Star?

Haslem is a solid complimentary player. As an offensive factor...nothing more than Pietrus-Azu and quite less than Harrington. I do like that he does rebound. However-it gets down to salary and trade cost and then how do you divvy minutes with Harrington. Haslem CAN be a plus---if at a bargain price. If we pay like he is a "star" we get shafted. If we get him cheaper than I'd expect...why not?
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Golden State Warriors