ImageImageImageImageImage

Nellie's odd rotation changes - a little known truth

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#21 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:01 am

I'm really going to miss when Patrick O'Bryant is gone.

Who are we going to talk about?!
GSWbandwagon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#22 » by GSWbandwagon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 am

the real reason pob doesn't play: poor hearing

"You never know," O'Bryant said. "Last (time out), I didn't play the whole game, then all of a sudden, one minute left, (Coach) looks down the bench and yells at me.

"Caught me off guard - I'm alive. Everybody thought he said 'Matt,' so we were yelling 'Matt, Matt (Barnes), get in the game!'"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 9UEOSK.DTL
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#23 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:10 am

GSWbandwagon wrote:the real reason pob doesn't play: poor hearing

"You never know," O'Bryant said. "Last (time out), I didn't play the whole game, then all of a sudden, one minute left, (Coach) looks down the bench and yells at me.

"Caught me off guard - I'm alive. Everybody thought he said 'Matt,' so we were yelling 'Matt, Matt (Barnes), get in the game!'"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 9UEOSK.DTL

:rofl:

I'm starting to love this kid. He's finally found his role.........Bench Monitor!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#24 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 am

When Mbenga was waived, both Nellie and Mullin indicated that POB was looking better and was now going to get a chance and that was now the #2 center yet he still won't give the chance. This was a DIRECT QUOTE from Nellie:

So what else can you say other than that Nellie is full of $hit?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 32&start=0

Nelson said the backup job will fall back to O'Bryant, who has played just three minutes since a disastrous appearance against the Los Angeles Lakers in early December.

"He's been working hard, he's kept a good attitude," Nelson said of O'Bryant. "Even when Mbenga was ahead of him, he kept working hard. I still think he'll make it one day. Whether he's ready or not now, I don't know. He'll get an opportunity once in a while and we'll see how he does."

Additionally, rookie center Kosta Perovic is being recalled from the team's D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam, although Mullin said that's more to get conditioning work than to serve as a replacement for Mbenga.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by FGump » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 am

turk3d wrote:When Mbenga was waived, both Nellie and Mullin indicated that POB was looking better and was now going to get a chance and that was now the #2 center yet he still won't give the chance. This was a DIRECT QUOTE from Nellie:

So what else can you say other than that Nellie is full of $hit?

Your quotes (and Nellie) say one thing. You say another.

Don't see anything whatsoever in your quote by Nellie saying POB had improved or was "looking better" at all. Only that he had been working hard.

Also didnt see where Nellie was saying he was promoted to any kind of rotation minutes. Only that because he was moving up the list by default, he'd probably get a chance here or there to get on the floor, and then they'll "see" what he can do, if anything.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#26 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:35 am

FGump wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Your quotes (and Nellie) say one thing. You say another.

Don't see anything whatsoever in your quote by Nellie saying POB had improved or was "looking better" at all. Only that he had been working hard.

Also didnt see where Nellie was saying he was promoted to any kind of rotation minutes. Only that because he was moving up the list by default, he'd probably get a chance here or there to get on the floor, and then they'll "see" what he can do, if anything.

"He's been working hard, he's kept a good attitude," Nelson said of O'Bryant. "Even when Mbenga was ahead of him, he kept working hard. I still think he'll make it one day. Whether he's ready or not now, I don't know. He'll get an opportunity once in a while and we'll see how he does"
I gave you the quote. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is. Mbenga WAS the backup Center (when Nellie went big) before he was cut. You can interpet it anyway you want I suppose. What's "once in a while?" One minute of garbage time? He hasn't played one meaningful minute since that article came out by Lepper. Croshere just came back from injury and that's who he plays. I'm just glad he hasn't played KP over him but it wouldn't surprise me if he does. I still say Nellie's full of it.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by FGump » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 am

turk3d wrote:I gave you the quote. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Turk, you're right. You don't know what it is - because in Nellie-speak (which most here understand), it was ANYTHING BUT an endorsement of POB. In fact, it was close to the opposite, and you just misconstrued the meaning.

It was akin to a pat on the head to the gangly 6th grader who tries hard, but is so far behind the others on the team. He tries hard, and I bet he'll get in a game sooner or later, is what's said by coach. What isn't added, but is inferred is, "But he's just not good enough otherwise."

And I'd wager that the question was asked in response to a pointed question, perhaps "who is your backup center now that Mbenga is being waived" or "what does this mean for POB now that Mbenga is gone." Then a reporter uses the quote to fill a column about the Mbenga waiver, and people think POB has been somehow promoted and Nellie has gone out of his way to mention him, when instead nothing could be further from the truth.

You fell for it. But it's not Nellie's fault (this time) that you got the wrong idea.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#28 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 am

eh, "get an opportunity once in a while and we'll see how he does... " not exactly a ringing endorsement.

But of course Nellie is full of ****. He says so himself.

I hope Pat remembers to get up the next time Nellie calls his number.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#29 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 am

FGump wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Turk, you're right. You don't know what it is - because in Nellie-speak (which most here understand), it was ANYTHING BUT an endorsement of POB. In fact, it was close to the opposite, and you just misconstrued the meaning.

It was akin to a pat on the head to the gangly 6th grader who tries hard, but is so far behind the others on the team. He tries hard, and I bet he'll get in a game sooner or later, is what's said by coach. What isn't added, but is inferred is, "But he's just not good enough otherwise."

And I'd wager that the question was asked in response to a pointed question, perhaps "who is your backup center now that Mbenga is being waived" or "what does this mean for POB now that Mbenga is gone." Then a reporter uses the quote to fill a column about the Mbenga waiver, and people think POB has been somehow promoted and Nellie has gone out of his way to mention him, when instead nothing could be further from the truth.

You fell for it. But it's not Nellie's fault (this time) that you got the wrong idea.

Well, I guess you proved my point Gump, that he's full of it.
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#30 » by bballguy50 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am

Nellie is always full of ****. No surprise.

No one here has anything groundbreaking about the situation figured out, plain and simple. The only person who knows is Nellie, and I doubt Mullin has a complete clue, but he does have a clue at least.

Its just common sense to know that Nellie will never give POB anywhere close to 15 mpg, let alone 5.

I think someone on another thread said Nellie just doesn't know what to do with PF/C's that don't fit his mold, but are good enough to contribute nonetheless. I don't think its the whole reason behind the 'Nellie and bigs' discussion, but it certainly is a part of it, IMO.
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by FGump » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:31 am

Turk, yes Nellie is full of s*** and is abundantly willing to sling it when it suits him, but I still don't think this is an example of that truth, because I don't see anything in his words that was other than the truth. He didn't say it harshly or insultingly when he could have, but he still actually told you the truth, and unfortunately you just didn't listen.

He didn't say POB is great or ready to play. He didn't promise him any particular amount of minutes, or even regular opportunities to play. He just said he's been working hard and with Mbenga gone, eventually he'll get on the floor sometime. And that looks pretty accurate and honest to me.

If you read more into it than that, that's not good listening. But it's not on Nellie.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#32 » by floppymoose » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm with the Gump on this one. Interpreting quotes can be tricky, but this one seems pretty clear.

For a trickier one, check out Dunleavy response when asked about fans booing:
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 pm

The reason i turned on Dunleavy is his underhanded comments over the years.

his lack of fire (while here), and his pu$$y comments made me think Silver Spoon, Prima Donna, pampered athlete.

The picture of him crossing his legs and drinking red wine while in uniform was the exact way I see him.

But really it was the streetball comments he made towards Baron in a backhanded way.

Baron wanted that win so bad. He said so. East vs West rivalry. Not a real rivalry, but to Baron it was his way of saying, Duns an a-hole and a baby.

He's playing nice this year, good for him. But if he had real fire, he would have willed his team to victory. But sadly he plays no defense, so the only way he'll affect the game is on the offensvie side.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#34 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 am

floppymoose wrote:according to Kawakami, who asked him the question, the insult was meant to be directed at him instead of the fans.

In all fairness Kawakami thinks it's always about him.

Like his blog, though.

And despite the nice words back and forth by Baron and Dunleavy, about eachother, someone - was it Janny Hu? - noted that Baron greeted every Pacer before tip-off, except for Dunleavy.

Maybe they had said their hellos already.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#35 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:19 pm

At least it appears that Nellie has finally given in and decided to stabilize the starting unit of Baron, Jack, Monta, Beans and Harrington. How come it took less time for the posters on this forum to figure it out? Let's hope he stays with this unit (barring injury). Also notice that the bench is finally starting to come around too as peoples roles are becoming much better defined which hopefully will result in more consistency with the team(which has been lacking greatly for the most part this season). Should help the starters and the backups in the long run.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:23 pm

We don't drink as heavily.
Khoee wrote “
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#37 » by floppymoose » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:50 pm

jrhester wrote:In all fairness Kawakami thinks it's always about him.
:lol:
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#38 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:44 am

Mylie10 wrote:We don't drink as heavily.

Speak for yerself.

Return to Golden State Warriors