Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Looking back one year 

Post#1 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 am

Interesting look-back to the pre-indy swap Warriors on the Fast Break blog:

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors ... ectations/

http://mercextra.com/blogs/warriors/

Nellie has shown no hesitancy to rewrite his own game plan to exclude guys who fail to give him what he expects or needs. The cumulative result of these factors is a starting line-up unimaginable at the beginning of training camp:

Warriors Preseason: Davis, Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Murphy
Warriors January 15, 2007: Davis, Ellis, Azubuike, Barnes, Biedrins

Bubble players like Barnes and Azubuike play so well in this environment because they know they
Yi Jian Lian
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Yi Jian Lian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:12 am

Times have change hasn't it?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#3 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 am

and ahead one year:

In other words, it could be a very different looking team this time next year.
"Absolutely," vice president Chris Mullin said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... KUF4JD.DTL
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#4 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:53 am

jrhester wrote:and ahead one year:

In other words, it could be a very different looking team this time next year.
"Absolutely," vice president Chris Mullin said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... KUF4JD.DTL

I'm reading this article, and every Rowell quote is killing me...

"I lay awake every night not wanting to go back to where we were," Warriors President Robert Rowell said Sunday before his team played the Pacers.

We're exactly where we were you :censored: idiot.

"The thing that everyone loses sight of is that we had to struggle to get in the playoffs," Rowell said. "We did this trade, these guys turned it on, and we won nine of our last 10 games to get in and we finished one game over. 500.

"That's not our goal. So, of course, this year, this part, is way bigger. Our goal is much bigger."

What could be bigger than making the playoffs? Do you actually expect to compete for a title?

Mullin has tailored his roster to Nelson's run-and-gun system, and there's no denying that the Warriors' future is tied to that of their coach. If Phoenix is said to have a slim window of opportunity with point guard Steve Nash, then so does Nellie-ball.

Isn't that kind of contradictory? Our future is tied to our 67 year old, wishy-washy, retirement threatening coach? THAT's where we're hitching our wagon? :censored:

"Nellie is the second-winningest coach of all time," Mullin said. "At some point, he'll be the winningest coach of all time. To say that there's a guy like him? I don't think there is. He's unique.

"But the one thing is, I believe in the way we play, and I think we can win. To me, there's just as much time and preparation with playing like we do as playing a so-called possession-possession game. I really believe in the philosophy.

Chuck-ball FTW!

So who will be available in the late lottery? Serge Ibaka? Kevin Love? Devon Hardin? :nod:
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#5 » by bballguy50 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:53 am

"Tip-top financial shape"?

Maybe, but I'm scared and optimistic at the same time with what we're gonna do with that.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#6 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:16 pm

My franchise is as f'd up as it's ever been....We just have to wait it out..Try to eat right and stay healthy so we can see the day those two idiots Rowell and Cohan , get thrown out into the Oracle parking lot on their azz.

Mullin is just another nightmare Cohan hire.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#7 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:53 pm

LF75 wrote:My franchise is as f'd up as it's ever been....We just have to wait it out..Try to eat right and stay healthy so we can see the day those two idiots Rowell and Cohan , get thrown out into the Oracle parking lot on their azz.

Mullin is just another nightmare Cohan hire.

I don't think that Mullin is tied to Nellie long term (fortunately) and when he's gone I expect that he will be able to use his experience to hire the right replacement and will not have to cater to Nellie's every whim (whne it comes to player personnel). I think Mullin realizes this (Nellie's just temporary) and thus has a great deal of concern as to the future and thus values his youngsters a great deal.

This is probably the last year that Nellie will have the kind of influence he appears to have on personnel decisions I believe. As it stands right now, I'd say that the chances of him returning as coach next year are not very likely unless they ae able to show a marked improvement by the end of this season. A lateral move will not be good enough imo. If they get crushed due to their lack of playing their bigs, expect that to change next year. Nellie's on a one year leash I believe and if we don't show an overall improvement from last year when it's all said and done, Smart takes over and Nellie likely gets paid his last year as a consultant to Mullin mostly helping out with the draft..
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#8 » by KR4 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Man, I was so sick of Dunleavy 1 year ago. So sick of him.

Return to Golden State Warriors