ImageImageImageImageImage

Payton rumor

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Payton rumor 

Post#1 » by crzy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:13 am

Awkward moment of the week had to belong to Golden State's C.J. Watson, who was honored before last week's game against the Pacers for being the 100th all-time NBA call-up from the Developmental League. Warriors executive and former Boyd Anderson star Mitch Richmond did the presenting. Watson soon is expected to be released in favor of former Heat guard Gary Payton.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/colu ... 440.column
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#2 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:37 am

Its not a foregone conclusion... I'm sure I would have heard something by now if it was.
dareru
Freshman

Post#3 » by dareru » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:53 am

I do not like the idea of the glove in our team. He's just way too old. Can he run and gun with us? EHhhh
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#4 » by bballguy50 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:31 am

It wouldn't be much worse than CJ, although he is/was very serviceable most of the time.

If Glove can bring at least some of his Glove D and passing, then I'd be happy if we did sign him, even if he wouldn't be able to run with us as much.

I think a lot of people assume he can be a sort of mentor. But I don't endorse it so easily - I never saw him as a stand up guy who would pass on his knowledge to younger guys, or even be all that good of an influence on them in terms of being a teammate.
RayRe
Rookie

Post#5 » by RayRe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:25 am

I'm seeing hints everywhere.

From Marc Stein's All star article,

Baron Davis continues to say that he would welcome the free-agent addition of Gary Payton if Warriors coach Don Nelson eventually decides he wants a more seasoned backup at the point.

"Absolutely," says Davis. "Him being an Oakland native, his mentality and leadership, he'd fit in great with us."

Davis, though, does dispute the notion, at 28 and after numerous injury struggles, that the Warriors are wearing him down by asking him to play 39 minutes per game.

"I've learned my body," Davis insists after reporting to training camp leaner than ever. "I've learned what makes my body work. The minutes aren't affecting me. I'm in great shape."
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,278

Post#6 » by turk3d » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 am

Although I'm pretty happy with CJ, I'd like to see more passing from him (coming out of the pg spot). I said during his initial signing that it was more of a ploy to get GP to come down in his salary demands, maybe he's come to his senses and with CJ doing a somewhat admirable job, even more so. I've said all along that GP is a calculated risk, as long as he's willing to come in at the veteran minimum, which of course would be prorated. If he has any desire at all to play this season, the Warriors make logical sense. It's rather interesting that his name has recently come up again.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Payton's one of the greatest PG's of his generation..You don't become that by having a bad attitude...The haters don't know what the sh*t they're talking about...Again
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,493

Post#8 » by WarFan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 pm

If they sign Payton they better cut Hudson and not Watson.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#9 » by Hopper15 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I think all of this is coming from Payton's camp.
Carl_Monday
Veteran

Post#10 » by Carl_Monday » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:51 pm

bballguy50 wrote:If Glove can bring at least some of his Glove D and passing, then I'd be happy if we did sign him, even if he wouldn't be able to run with us as much.

GP's probably one of the 5 greatest PGs of all time and I love the guy, but that D was absolutely no where to be found 3 years ago, and I seriously doubt that it's gotten better. Still, I'm all for bringing him in instead of Watson. We need a backup point who can run the offsense, and at least GP can still (I'm guessing) do that. If for nothing else, it'll be like hiring anohter coach, and who knows, maybe he can hop on the coaching staff next year after he officially retires, a la Avery, and work his way into coaching.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#11 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Payton would be the perfect coach for this team...He's just like his backcourt partner in Seattle...He'd be the best thing that ever happened to Brandan and Monta...
warriortone
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#12 » by warriortone » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 pm

LF75 wrote:Payton would be the perfect coach for this team...He's just like his backcourt partner in Seattle...He'd be the best thing that ever happened to Brandan and Monta...

Especially Monta. I feel like Brandan has his head on straight. I totally agree with you on Payton. Perfect fit in my estimation as long as we ditch T Hud.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#13 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:24 pm

warriortone wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Especially Monta. I feel like Brandan has his head on straight. I totally agree with you on Payton. Perfect fit in my estimation as long as we ditch T Hud.
I listnened to GP announce a Seattle preseason game..He went on and on about how Durant will never have a real impact at the 2 gaurd...How the sonics need to reshape his game right from the start so that someday he will be a force in the paint...Word for word everything I thought about Durant heading into the season..Payton gets it..He'd be perfect head coach for our smalls and bigs.
gs7101
Pro Prospect
Location: Oakland CA native, living in San Antonio TX; of course, I'm a die-hard Warriors' fan--over 40 years!

Post#14 » by gs7101 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:31 pm

The Warriors are probably the "only" option left for Payton. I know he was interested in returning to Boston, but apparently, the Celtics have shown very little (if any) interest in signing him. I have always been an avid proponent for him becoming a Warrior; signing Payton to a prorated veteran's minimum salary is not a bad option for a backup point guard. I'm sure Baron would welcome the idea of having Gary added to the team.
warriortone
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#15 » by warriortone » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 pm

LF75 wrote:He'd be perfect head coach for our smalls and bigs.

Too bad Nellie already anointed his successor.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by crzy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm

WarFan wrote:If they sign Payton they better cut Hudson and not Watson.

That's what I was thinking would happen.
capmanj
Junior

Post#17 » by capmanj » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:51 pm

according to his blog warrior staff brought him in to do what hes been doing in dleague, and thats score. So i dont know why some of you demand that CJ become more of a passer. Its not like our team is going to pass anyways. one guy is not going to change that at all. on a side note everyone thinks that cj was brought in to relieve baron, but its ellis whose getting the rest when cj jumps on.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#18 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm

I knew the W's wouldnt play CJ and Monta together for long stints..Just like I know they wouldnt play Damon and Monta together..That's why a Sam I Am sized gaurd is what we need....It has nothing to do with CJ..

As far as not needing to pass? Are you friggen serious? The only time the warriors play well is when they pass...Sorry for being harsh but...GET A CLUE DUDE.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,278

Post#19 » by turk3d » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:22 pm

capmanj wrote:according to his blog warrior staff brought him in to do what hes been doing in dleague, and thats score. So i dont know why some of you demand that CJ become more of a passer. Its not like our team is going to pass anyways. one guy is not going to change that at all. on a side note everyone thinks that cj was brought in to relieve baron, but its ellis whose getting the rest when cj jumps on.

Did not demand he become a better passer, just said I'd like to see him pass more, which is what a "real" point guard usually does. As LF points out, Payton would blend a lot better with Monta and likely would be a steadying influence. I'm with the poster(s) who said we can keep CJ and cut Thud. Maybe manipulate so we can keep signing him to 10 day deals which would give us a bit more flexibility should something bigger (another deal) come our way.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#20 » by GSWhoopfan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did not demand he become a better passer, just said I'd like to see him pass more, which is what a "real" point guard usually does. As LF points out, Payton would blend a lot better with Monta and likely would be a steadying influence. I'm with the poster(s) who said we can keep CJ and cut Thud. Maybe manipulate so we can keep signing him to 10 day deals which would give us a bit more flexibility should something bigger (another deal) come our way.

CJ has made that extra pass many times. The Warriors want him to be aggressive and thats what hes doing. People want him to pass more, but most of the time he has an open look. Why would you pass when you have an open look? Nellie preaches to take that shot.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010

Return to Golden State Warriors