ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Webber?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#181 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm

We don't need help passing or scoring. Not really. We need help rebounding. And Webber 2008 won't help there. Webber 2007 didn't help the Pistons, who were a below average rebounding squad (slightly) when he was off the court and even worse when he was on.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06DET12D.HTM
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#182 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm

I don't see how you could say we don't need help passing...Webber's a great passer and there's no way that skill doesnt help the warriors.
darobster17
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#183 » by darobster17 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:29 pm

If and that's a BIG IF Webber is completely healthy and in shape, the guy will help out the frontcourt's defense and rebounding. However if Webber is not completely healthy and out of shape, it will prove to be a desperate and dumb move. How the eff can Kawakami say it's a win move if it doesn't work?

I'd rather wish the W's try to get P.J. Brown imo. He can do all the thing Cwebb can do without antics or primo-drama that Cwebb brings.

Or how about Antonio Davis...he's an oakland native and brings some interior defense, rebounding and enforcer type of presence.

It's a high risk, high reward move that could prove to be genius or flat out disasterous. Can lightning strike twice for the W's as a franchise???

If I'm Mully or Nelly, I would NOT bring CWebb back just becuz it tells me the w's are desperate enough to bring back a player that is on his down side of his career and a player that brought down the franchise of the W's.

Or if they sign him to use him as expiring contract for trade deadline move, then I'm all for it.

I guess we'll all know by Tuesday...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#184 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

LF75 wrote:I don't see how you could say we don't need help passing...Webber's a great passer and there's no way that skill doesnt help the warriors.

We need help with everything. I mean, anything that makes us better somewhere makes us better, right? But I don't see passing as the standout item that we need to shop for, and that is all he is going to bring. He is going to hurt us on defense and shooting, and will be break even at best on rebounding.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#185 » by St.Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:42 pm

He's going to be a backup PF/C playing about 15-20mpg. I really don't see how he is going to hurt us at all.

I mean, the guy put up 11/6 for Detroit last year. He can body up opposing big guys. He can pass the **** out of the ball. He's not the Webber of old, but if he was then we wouldn't have this opportunity.

Just see this move --if it happens-- as us attaining a PF who can board, pass, and shoot and is taking the roster space of Troy Hudson.

Now that is win-win.

BTW, I never liked Webber before, but for $350k at 15mpg, I'll take him. At least he's not some psycho like Ron Artest.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#186 » by yehyeh82 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Knowing Nellie, he'll be playing CWebb at least 30 mpg regardless of how well he's playing...
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
warriortone
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#187 » by warriortone » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up, but Webber's first home game would be Friday...Bobcats...J Rich. Can you imagine a stranger set of circumstances? I can see it now, the J Rich tribute video, huge standing ovation. Then Webber is introduced to a mix of boos and applause. All I know is, 2/1/2008 is going to be one interesting night at the Oracle. I seriously can't believe this is really happening.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#188 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:00 pm

It sure looks like this thing is going to happen, so I'm going to try to get on the positive side of it.

I like 2008 Webber for our team more than I like Mbenga. Weber will have the confidence of his teammates on the offensive end and will catch the ball and finish plays. That means when Dre is out, we will have a player in the middle (or high post) that Baron and Jack will fell confident finding and dumping the ball to. That will be big if the rotations make the best of the available talent.

The passing, that makes for a big plus. We have one zone breaker play (other than stand around and chuck) and that requires Baron to get into the paint against much larger guys. If Weber can be a comfortable passer from that position, it lets Baron be one of the guys in motion to receive the ball and finish plays. That adds a dimension that should help us improve.

One of my pet peeves with our offense is that it's rare in the halfcourt that any of our players receive the ball in motion headed toward the goal for a layup. The fact that Webber has a mature big man's mid range J, and can pass should open up the motion options for our quicker guys.

It will be interesting to see how the team evolves with Webber's presence.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#189 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Webber > Pat Burke

I'm going to be positive because I just suffered through the LATE GREAT MBENGA...I'm with 51 on CW's passing..It's going to be interesting to see him at the high post looking to dish off to Monta and Baron.

I still would much rather see BW and POB get the minutes at the 7 and 8 spots of our rotation..Oh fricken well.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#190 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:15 pm

LF75 wrote:Webber > Pat Burke

Well, let's not get carried away. He's better than Mbenga, but he's still only Chris Webber . . . I mean comparing him to Burke? Total Webber Homerism! :lol:

LF75 wrote:I still would much rather see BW and POB get the minutes at the 7 and 8 spots of our rotation..Oh fricken well.

I still think we'll see more of Wright after the trade deadline. I don't think Nellie wants Wright's young talent to cast any doubt on the need to strengthen the roster overall. With our current record, If Wright steps in and proves to be rotation worthy, Nellie would never get the ok to spend any more money or use the TE, so he's walking a tightrope trying to push for all the help he can add.

But come March, I expect Wright to start working his way up to Victor Alexenanderish rookie minutes.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#191 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I still think we'll see more of Wright after the trade deadline. I don't think Nellie wants Wright's young talent to cast any doubt on the need to strengthen the roster overall. With our current record, If Wright steps in and proves to be rotation worthy, Nellie would never get the ok to spend any more money or use the TE, so he's walking a tightrope trying to push for all the help he can add.

But come March, I expect Wright to start working his way up to Victor Alexenanderish rookie minutes.

I can only hope that this is the case... and that it works.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#192 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I can only hope that this is the case... and that it works.

Sqwaking so publically about adding another player who couldn't find a job last year fuels my conspiracy. This front office has always been very tight lipped, and now Nellie is blowing the lid off of their actions? He's trying to light a fire under them, and playing decent but scary ball with 6 good players has been his "stealthy" gameplan. Probably the marketing people have been just fine with the result and don't see a need, so now he's getting noisy and visible about it.

Also, I'm sure he actually likes Webbs game.

Nellie left a lot of unfinished business here when he burned the franchise down last time. He's obviously having a lot of fun with this team, and feels like returning to where things got off track has been a good thing. Bringing Webber back for a successful run is another way to try and set things right in his karmic scoreboard.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#193 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:33 pm

6 good players? :blank: Barnes is playing like a waiver-wire guy...

If/when Webber is signed... I'll wait. See what happens at the deadline.. I'm terrified of what might go down before that though.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#194 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:36 pm

St.Nick wrote:He's going to be a backup PF/C playing about 15-20mpg. I really don't see how he is going to hurt us at all.

You don't? What new defense are we going to run for those 20 minutes?
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#195 » by GSWhoopfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:53 pm

floppymoose wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the same scrappy defense weve been running that generates easy buckets on a fast break.

Webber is still a quailty player. Hes not the player he was a decade ago, but hes still serviceable and valuable.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#196 » by St.Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

floppymoose wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Having a traditional sized PF/C is going to slow us down of course, but will the negatives really outweigh the positives?

+ We have someone to body up Boozer, Bynum, David West, or any other PF/C that usually eats us alive.

+ We have a guy that can take space in the key and also isn't a big, offensively (Please Use More Appropriate Word) dolt like Mbenga (god bless his heart).

+ We have a guy in the post that can pass, make post moves, and can pop out for a 15ft wing jumper, which will still space the floor enough for guys like Monta and Baron to find their way to the hoop.

The minuses are of course that he's too slow to properly fill in as a regular guy in our offense and defense. But once again, what harm is it going to do to bring him aboard for a minimum contract and in a minimal role? Unless the guy spazzes out at the team (not likely) or decides to try to become former All-star Chris Webber and shoots it too much, then there is no problem. If he really does not fit in, then we simply cut him.

Minor risk, potentially a very good reward.
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#197 » by RolloTommasi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the same scrappy defense weve been running that generates easy buckets on a fast break.

Webber is still a quailty player. Hes not the player he was a decade ago, but hes still serviceable and valuable.

lol

ask to the PIstons fans.....
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#198 » by RolloTommasi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:42 pm

[quote="St.Nick"][/quote]

Webber is:

1) done
2) a cancer
3) a loser....always has been, always will be
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#199 » by St.Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm

wow....did he strangle your puppy or something? :o

I don't like Webber as a superstar player at all, but as a humble backup player taking a minor role, I'd love to have him on this team.
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#200 » by kevin44 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Webbers experience could help get us past the first round. I wish he could move better, but he is still dangerous with his passing ability and elbow jumper. He can defend big men that aren't quick, like Curry who overpowered us downlow last night.

Return to Golden State Warriors