ImageImageImageImageImage

Message From a Laker Fan

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

second_coming32
Banned User
Posts: 194
And1: 1
Joined: Jan 22, 2008

Message From a Laker Fan 

Post#1 » by second_coming32 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:14 pm

I can understand why everyone hates laker fans, I really do. I've grown up a Laker fan, I've seen showtime, I watched games at the Forum, I've seen many at Staples center, I'm a Laker fan for life. But I have to admit, sometimes reading the Laker message boards I desire nothing less than to mercifully shoot myself in the face.

Some Laker fans just don't have a clue, they have the combined intelligence of a pre-pubescent sophomore (remember those? The 15 year olds that still appeared to young to even get acne, let alone grow a pube?). But there are also those other Laker fans who are very educated, don't allow ourselves to get to high, or to get too low. The fans are going ape **** because we got Gasol, but I'll be the first to tell you we aint winning Jack this year. We have meshing issues to work through and it's not gonna happen over the course of 35 games, not when Bynum will only be available for 20 of those if we're lucky, and not without a training camp. We'll be bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round by the Spurs or somebody, and get ready to take our place next year.

I don't believe that the Lakers are entitled to anything, what I will say is that the Lakers contrary to popular belief are an extremely efficiently run organization. After showtime was over in the early 90's (the year after Magic retired), we had one bad season going 33-49, missed the playoffs, returned the next season as the 8 seed, nearly knocking off the suns, made a 2nd round run the year after, then we landed Shaq and Kobe. It took them a little while to mature since Kobe was still all of 18 years old, but then they went on their three peat tear and the rest was history.

After Shaq was traded, the Lakers were bad for one season going 34-48. Then they Drafted Bynum and Turiaf, were summarily bounced in the first round after nearly knocking off the suns (notice the pattern?) They drafted Farmar, had some early success the following season before falling apart due to injuries getting bounced in the first round again. Then we drafted Crittenton and Marc Gasol. We were at 26-11, 1st in the western conference before Bynum went down, then we ripped Gasol from the Grizz for Crittenton, Gasol...oh yeah....and Kwame. And now we're poised for a 3rd run of championships to close out the decade.

Thats what you call efficient management. And that my friends is why Laker fans are so spoiled, and admittedly ignorant. It's not supposed to happen that way. After the Chris Mullin years in the 90's, how long did it take the Warriors to get back to respectability? After the Celtics run in the mid 80's, how many years was it before they landed Garnett? Has the Bulls organization ever been right after MJ left? How long did it take Detroit after the 89-90 season to matter again? Organizations are not supposed to be able to mortgage their "BAD" years. Somehow the Lakers have managed to do this, and that is why they are hated.

If it's any consolation to the rest of the League, soon Jerry Buss will be handing over the keys of the organization to his idiot, suicidal, Paris Hilton'esque brats, and they will summarily run the franchise into the ground.

My point is only to argue that the Laker fans ignorance is the direct result of never having to delve deep into the depths of how to run an NBA franchise, because that has always been taken care of them by Buss, West, and now Kupchake? Laker fans expect titles because they have never been bad....ever....for more than one or two seasons at a time. In the 60's and 70's we had Chamberlain, Goodrich, West, Baylor....hell you all know the names, in the 80's we had Showtime, in the 90's and 00's we had Shaq, Kobe, now Gasol.

The Lakers feel a sense of entitlement they way Bill Gates kids are disappointed that they only got 2 million each after they graduated College. It's not realistic, it's not even fair, but it's a product or growing up surrounded by wealth before knowing the meaning of having to earn a dollar.

From an avid Laker fan,

My sincerest Apologies....
User avatar
warriortone
Veteran
Posts: 2,993
And1: 7
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Sofia's house

 

Post#2 » by warriortone » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:20 pm

I really appreciate this. It's hard not to hate a team that has had Mikan, Chamberlain, Jabbar, O'Neal and now Bynum and Gasol. An embarassment of riches. I would hope that I would feel blessed instead of entitled in the same position, but I can't say that for sure. Either way, great post.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,642
And1: 9,447
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: De-funked
     

 

Post#3 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:22 pm

Phil Jackson is a golddigger.

He's waiting for Buss to kick the bucket to marry his girlfriend and get control of the Lakers... ZEN MASTER at his finest :bowdown:
Keepin it classless
Watching the easily manipulated be easily manipulated
turk3d
RealGM
Posts: 36,652
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jan 30, 2007
Location: Javale McGee, Dubs X Factor

 

Post#4 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:25 pm

510Reggae wrote:Phil Jackson is a golddigger.

He's waiting for Buss to kick the bucket to marry his girlfriend and get control of the Lakers... ZEN MASTER at his finest :bowdown:

Now that's a true Genius!!!
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Image
User avatar
Head Leader
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,885
And1: 17
Joined: Nov 16, 2006
Location: El Cerrito, Ca

 

Post#5 » by Head Leader » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:23 pm

Whats your point jabroni?


that was a joke btw.
Tekguy17
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 02, 2007

 

Post#6 » by Tekguy17 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:08 pm

I grew up a Laker fan too! That's because back then "Showtime" was THE ONLY show on the west coast for quite some time. But, what I've learned livin' in the Bay, is that HOMETOWN LOYALTY is everything!
User avatar
zero
Junior
Posts: 491
And1: 5
Joined: Dec 20, 2002
Location: oakland / los angeles
Contact:

 

Post#7 » by zero » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:36 pm

Tekguy17 wrote:I grew up a Laker fan too! That's because back then "Showtime" was THE ONLY show on the west coast for quite some time. But, what I've learned livin' in the Bay, is that HOMETOWN LOYALTY is everything!


true that. :nod:
Souvlaki
Head Coach
Posts: 6,148
And1: 3
Joined: Mar 02, 2003
Location: Doing wheelies on my Moped

 

Post#8 » by Souvlaki » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm happy that the Lakers are mildly successful these days. When they sucked in the early 90's or in 04/05 it was hard to hate them. It's just no fun to hate on a crappy team. So I appreciate having a much over hyped team, especially when they have a rapist as their poster boy, to be the perfect team to hate.

The original poster just doesn't get it though. He is the epitome of why people hate the Lakers. He thinks people really care about his crappy team so much that he has to come to our board to spill his guts about it? Get lost loser Laker fan. The world doesn't revolve around your team and we could care less about how pathetic most Laker fans are.
User avatar
warriortone
Veteran
Posts: 2,993
And1: 7
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Sofia's house

 

Post#9 » by warriortone » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:20 pm

I would much rather prefer this type of Laker fan compared with the "OMG, Lakers are teh best!1!" and "the rest of the NBA should just fold right now" type.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
BROWN
RealGM
Posts: 10,958
And1: 73
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: RealCity - MTL

 

Post#10 » by BROWN » Tue Feb 5, 2008 12:09 am

Thanks , we need more laker fans that are like you.

The lakers are a good organization, and buss is a genius...
just hate it that you guys are in the same division as the warriors..
User avatar
Twinkie defense
RealGM
Posts: 16,030
And1: 398
Joined: Jul 15, 2005

 

Post#11 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Feb 5, 2008 4:40 am

Growing up I was a huge Showtime Lakers fan, because they were the local team, and I guess probably also because they were so damn good.

Showtime Lakers - THAT'S what good basketball is supposed to look like. And they were most definitely not fool's gold.

Still think the Lakers made a big mistake forcing Shaq out, though, and that the front office is not what it was with Jerry West.
User avatar
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,385
And1: 1
Joined: Mar 13, 2006
Location: Yay Area

 

Post#12 » by mistatwo mayn » Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:42 am

Kudos
User avatar
Joe Kleazy
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,442
And1: 39
Joined: Aug 11, 2006
Location: where theres NO B**CH-AZZNESS

 

Post#13 » by Joe Kleazy » Tue Feb 5, 2008 4:57 pm

The OP is the prime example of a soft azz LAKER FAN.

Grow some balls and rep your squad fool. Dont come to others board with info that everybody knew before you arrived thinking you giving knowledge.

That it all.
Image
User avatar
crzy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,224
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 10, 2006
Location: San Francisco

Re: Message From a Laker Fan 

Post#14 » by crzy » Tue Feb 5, 2008 5:06 pm

second_coming32 wrote:I can understand why everyone hates laker fans, I really do. I've grown up a Laker fan, I've seen showtime, I watched games at the Forum, I've seen many at Staples center, I'm a Laker fan for life. But I have to admit, sometimes reading the Laker message boards I desire nothing less than to mercifully shoot myself in the face.

Some Laker fans just don't have a clue, they have the combined intelligence of a pre-pubescent sophomore (remember those? The 15 year olds that still appeared to young to even get acne, let alone grow a pube?). But there are also those other Laker fans who are very educated, don't allow ourselves to get to high, or to get too low. The fans are going ape **** because we got Gasol, but I'll be the first to tell you we aint winning Jack this year. We have meshing issues to work through and it's not gonna happen over the course of 35 games, not when Bynum will only be available for 20 of those if we're lucky, and not without a training camp. We'll be bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round by the Spurs or somebody, and get ready to take our place next year.

I don't believe that the Lakers are entitled to anything, what I will say is that the Lakers contrary to popular belief are an extremely efficiently run organization. After showtime was over in the early 90's (the year after Magic retired), we had one bad season going 33-49, missed the playoffs, returned the next season as the 8 seed, nearly knocking off the suns, made a 2nd round run the year after, then we landed Shaq and Kobe. It took them a little while to mature since Kobe was still all of 18 years old, but then they went on their three peat tear and the rest was history.

After Shaq was traded, the Lakers were bad for one season going 34-48. Then they Drafted Bynum and Turiaf, were summarily bounced in the first round after nearly knocking off the suns (notice the pattern?) They drafted Farmar, had some early success the following season before falling apart due to injuries getting bounced in the first round again. Then we drafted Crittenton and Marc Gasol. We were at 26-11, 1st in the western conference before Bynum went down, then we ripped Gasol from the Grizz for Crittenton, Gasol...oh yeah....and Kwame. And now we're poised for a 3rd run of championships to close out the decade.

Thats what you call efficient management. And that my friends is why Laker fans are so spoiled, and admittedly ignorant. It's not supposed to happen that way. After the Chris Mullin years in the 90's, how long did it take the Warriors to get back to respectability? After the Celtics run in the mid 80's, how many years was it before they landed Garnett? Has the Bulls organization ever been right after MJ left? How long did it take Detroit after the 89-90 season to matter again? Organizations are not supposed to be able to mortgage their "BAD" years. Somehow the Lakers have managed to do this, and that is why they are hated.

If it's any consolation to the rest of the League, soon Jerry Buss will be handing over the keys of the organization to his idiot, suicidal, Paris Hilton'esque brats, and they will summarily run the franchise into the ground.

My point is only to argue that the Laker fans ignorance is the direct result of never having to delve deep into the depths of how to run an NBA franchise, because that has always been taken care of them by Buss, West, and now Kupchake? Laker fans expect titles because they have never been bad....ever....for more than one or two seasons at a time. In the 60's and 70's we had Chamberlain, Goodrich, West, Baylor....hell you all know the names, in the 80's we had Showtime, in the 90's and 00's we had Shaq, Kobe, now Gasol.

The Lakers feel a sense of entitlement they way Bill Gates kids are disappointed that they only got 2 million each after they graduated College. It's not realistic, it's not even fair, but it's a product or growing up surrounded by wealth before knowing the meaning of having to earn a dollar.

From an avid Laker fan,

My sincerest Apologies....



Good post.
Image
User avatar
warriortone
Veteran
Posts: 2,993
And1: 7
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Sofia's house

 

Post#15 » by warriortone » Tue Feb 5, 2008 5:31 pm

Joe Kleazy wrote:The OP is the prime example of a soft azz LAKER FAN.

Grow some balls and rep your squad fool. Dont come to others board with info that everybody knew before you arrived thinking you giving knowledge.

That it all.


Case in point.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
User avatar
LakersSquad
Analyst
Posts: 3,144
And1: 120
Joined: Jun 07, 2005

 

Post#16 » by LakersSquad » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:09 pm

jrhester wrote:Growing up I was a huge Showtime Lakers fan, because they were the local team, and I guess probably also because they were so damn good.

Showtime Lakers - THAT'S what good basketball is supposed to look like. And they were most definitely not fool's gold.

Still think the Lakers made a big mistake forcing Shaq out, though, and that the front office is not what it was with Jerry West.


Miami's 9 wins and the 60 mill thats due to Shaq disagrees with you
User avatar
crzy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,224
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 10, 2006
Location: San Francisco

 

Post#17 » by crzy » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:11 pm

LakersSquad wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Miami's 9 wins and the 60 mill thats due to Shaq disagrees with you


Their championship ring disagrees with you.
Image
User avatar
LakersSquad
Analyst
Posts: 3,144
And1: 120
Joined: Jun 07, 2005

 

Post#18 » by LakersSquad » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:11 pm

btw the OP need to get off that soft ****. I don't give a damn if the warriors fans like us and I'm sure they feel the same.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,642
And1: 9,447
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: De-funked
     

 

Post#19 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:11 pm

They still got a ring... Lakers could get one but its far from a certainty (although you won't find me betting against them).

What happens with Shaq will be interesting though..
Keepin it classless
Watching the easily manipulated be easily manipulated
User avatar
LakersSquad
Analyst
Posts: 3,144
And1: 120
Joined: Jun 07, 2005

 

Post#20 » by LakersSquad » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:15 pm

510Reggae wrote:They still got a ring... Lakers could get one but its far from a certainty (although you won't find me betting against them).

What happens with Shaq will be interesting though..


Yea they got a ring and a lottery pick but if they don't get a dominate Big man in the next 3 years they got problems remember wade aint that much younger than Kobe.

Return to Golden State Warriors