ImageImageImageImageImage

Five Day Rest UGH!!. Bulls[19-29] @ GSW[29-19] Thu 2/7 7:30P

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Souvlaki
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#461 » by Souvlaki » Fri Feb 8, 2008 8:53 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:First: I don't hate Bukie. I would have him on the floor in front of Pietrus because I think having intelligent offensive players who convert open shots is more important to this team than streaky occasionally impactful defense oriented offensive trainwrecks. My post was about Nellie's rationalization for playing idiot boy ahead of Bukie. That was me climging in Nellie's head, not my recommendation.

That said . . .

Barnes and Pete are definitely better defenders. Despite my complete disdain for Pete's game, he may be dumb but he is not as exploitable as Bukie in iso. Once he is locked in a one on one situation with no help or rotation stuff to figure out, he doesn't get beat like Bukie does.

Barnes? Barnes is a very good zone defender plays denial the right way and works well enough in our system. Who cares how his matchups look on paper. No one is running their offense at Barnes unless he's guarding Boozer. He isn't the guy out there wearing bullseye at all.

Monta and Barnes are definitely better passers. Monta was moving the ball well all night. He threw one bad pass that embarasssingly hit the rim, so I'm sure you'll cite that as evidence, despite the fact that he was our primary ballhandler and initiator despite not racking up the assist box score. Barnes? I have been seeing Barnes continuing to be a good passer and helping our ball movement. I don't know where the idea that Bukie passes better than either of them even comes from other than pure speculation, since he's never actually thrown a pass has he? Al might be the only guy on the team who's a worse passer than Bukie, and that's very close.

I'm not gonna rehash your whole arguement with 510 for multiple pages, so for me this is ultimately what it comes down to:

The only people who can change my mind on Bukie's defense are the oppsosing coaches who consistenly salivated when Bukie was on the floor more. No matter what any of us think or hypothesize or rationalize, opposing coaches decided that Bukie was our worst defender. Teams targeted him to exploit and it worked consistently enough to get him driven off the floor.

P.S. Monta is his own best option, because he has become OUR best option. He should get an assist in the scorebook every time he DOESN'T pass it to Jack for a chuck.

P.P.S. in reality, he was sharing the ball all night, but the guy he passed to didn't always take or have the shot. But he wasn't ballhogging at all. Not even close.

I think your wrong about what goes on in Nelly's head. Otherwise, why would Nelson put him in for defensive reasons at the end of games? He's done this on more than a few occasions. I just think he's in Nelly's doghouse right now for other reasons and probably because he's low man on the totem pole, it's his minutes that will suffer from trying to squeeze in playing time for Webber.

Buke is more often than not is able to stay with his man, get a hand in his face and generally make life difficult. Sure he gets beat by smaller quicker guys, but even Monta gets beat by those same guys (which is baffling). So this is a myth that teams go at him. If you have evidence to that effect, I'd like to see it. Now I'm not saying that he's a lock down defender, but he's at the very least average. When you consider how pathetic our team plays defense (I submit last night's game into evidence among many others), it's laughable to suggest that that's why he's not playing.

As far as passing goes, I would never say Buke is a good passer, again, he's average. Doesn't make many mistakes, but usually passes to get a better shot. He honestly doesn't handle or even touch the ball much because you've got Baron, Jackson and Ellis doing that. Buke in the half court plays a lot like Barnes and Pietrus in regards to passing. They don't much.

As far as Monta, I agree that he should call his own number more and at this point should be selfish. I wasn't saying that it was a problem, just pointing out he's got more of a scorers mentality. I'm fine with his passing when he actually does it.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#462 » by timlin500 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:29 pm

Man, Baron's been terrible 2 games in a row ever since he got snubbed from the All Star team. He better pick it up.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#463 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:57 pm

Souvlaki wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand that, but there's also the bad lazy side to that that when a guard will start his drive rather than attempting to stay with them, they just make a feeble slap at thin air and let the guy go in which puts pressure on the interior defenders and usually results in an easy basket.

Ok, I do see that sometimes, and no Bukie doesn't do a lot of that. But he doesn't do much of the good defensive stuff we look for either. He just kinda tries to play good traditional d and fails, and coaches were consistenly going at him because of it.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#464 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:00 pm

Souvlaki wrote: So this is a myth that teams go at him.

huh?

It was a constant. From the second half of December, until Bukie was recently taken out of the rotation, if he was on the floor, the other team ran a play to get his man the shot. It was every time.

You'll just have to watch the games again, I'm not uploading a highlight reel of such obvious stuff.
Abyss Impact
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#465 » by Abyss Impact » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:17 pm

It was the 5 game break that we lost the game and also chris webber for starting. If harrington started, he would rain his threes, and we would never been down in this game. Rusty warriors never wins games
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#466 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 11:21 pm

This game really did have a perfect storm of external excuses for us to suck. Now that doesn't make the performance any better, but it does assuage some of my immediate hysteria over the imminent collapse of our fortunes.

I do think this Webber addition represents the biggest threat so far to a successful season. If we drop several "should win" games trying to work the chemistry kinks out of adding this limited minutes player those dropped games could be critical to playoff positioning.

I don't see that adding Webber can't work, but we don't have a lot of window to play with.
GuitarMan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#467 » by GuitarMan » Sat Feb 9, 2008 12:06 am

Sleepy51 wrote:snip

I do think this Webber addition represents the biggest threat so far to a successful season. If we drop several "should win" games trying to work the chemistry kinks out of adding this limited minutes player those dropped games could be critical to playoff positioning.

I don't see that adding Webber can't work, but we don't have a lot of window to play with.

I agree 100%. Adding Webber is a risk, albeit not on the money side. The W's can't afford much time at all to get Web acclimated. It's a gamble that Mully and Nelson are taking to see if Webber can launch the team to the next level. It could very well backfire and cost the W's a playoff spot if the transition is too rocky. By the time Nellie pulls the plug on the experiment, several games may be lost in the standings. I'm hopeful that this will work out for the better, but who really knows? There are some definite challenges, to be sure. Baron looks like he has no idea what to do when Webber has the ball in the high post. Nelson has been calling out Baron for his lack of movement without the ball. The good news is that AB does know what to do with Webber on the floor.
MbengaforMVP
Freshman

Post#468 » by MbengaforMVP » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:57 am

Next level? This team is in danger of falling back in the gutter if Nelson doesn't grow some balls and threaten to sit Jack and Baron until their shooting improves.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#469 » by mistatwo mayn » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:29 am

MbengaforMVP wrote:Next level? This team is in danger of falling back in the gutter if Nelson doesn't grow some balls and threaten to sit Jack and Baron until their shooting improves.

BAD DOGGY!!! make your shot!
MbengaforMVP
Freshman

Post#470 » by MbengaforMVP » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:45 am

mistatwo mayn wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

BAD DOGGY!!! make your shot!

Damn straight. If this was a rare shooting slump or something, I'd say the hell with it, but these two guys are the worst chuckers on this team.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#471 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:08 am

MbengaforMVP wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Damn straight. If this was a rare shooting slump or something, I'd say the hell with it, but these two guys are the worst chuckers on this team.

Actually Baron has been MUCH better in his shot selection for the season. He had a terrible game. The overraction to the day to day ups and downs here is truly something special.

Jack on the other hand has been a fiasco for quite a few games now.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#472 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:33 am

Buike didn't even play and we still gave up 114 points to a team without their three best players coming off the end of a back to back. We made Duhon and Joe Smith look like Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams last night. Big deal we come up with steals, but this is still a bad defensive team with or without coaches exploiting Buike defensively like some people claim lol.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#473 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:48 am

Night Angel 1 wrote:Buike didn't even play and we still gave up 114 points to a team without their three best players coming off the end of a back to back. We made Duhon and Joe Smith look like Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams last night. Big deal we come up with steals, but this is still a bad defensive team with or without coaches exploiting Buike defensively like some people claim lol.

I've been told by people with a pretty solid knowledge of the game that the team that takes the most shots wins at a ridiculous rate (something like 80% of the time.) I got this from Ken Carter (Coach Carter) I haven't every done the research myself, but he swears by it and I respect him.

The point of selling out for steals is to reduce the number of attempts your opponent takes. If you have a team well suited to traditional defense, you stop your opponent by making them miss shots. Nellie knows we don't have a sound traditional defenseive team, so he's given them a way to increase their odds of contributing to a win on the defensive end.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#474 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:59 am

There's not much difference between the two..Baron has better shot selection this season...Jack's a better shooter...Jack's far more reliable from the line late in games...

It's going to get ugly around here...Jack and Baron are firmly established as the leaders and main shot takers of this team...Nelson's got to get rid of Baron for sure..Maybe even Jack if he cant accept a lesser offensive role...Monta is shooting 53% right now from the field..Biedrins is ready for more shots..Webber should have the ball in the high post...It's going to get ugly ...That's if Nellie still cares.
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#475 » by KR4 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:04 am

Yes it is. When Monta is in the zone (and he is more often than not) he should be getting the most shots on the team...no question. And the high/low action with Webber and Biedrins is 'all day'.
Leeeee's Nuts!
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#476 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:07 am

I know you're not afraid to go out on a limb, but how come all the dramatic predictions come only after our worst games? How come after we stomp a mudhole in the Horets healthy and at full speed none of our prognosticators start preparing the championship parade?

Why is it that every time we're good it's a fluke or an exception, but when we're bad it's our true nature and what we should always expect?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#477 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:22 am

Sleepy51 wrote:I know you're not afraid to go out on a limb, but how come all the dramatic predictions come only after our worst games? How come after we stomp a mudhole in the Horets healthy and at full speed none of our prognosticators start preparing the championship parade?

Why is it that every time we're good it's a fluke or an exception, but when we're bad it's our true nature and what we should always expect?

What can I say? I don't think Webber and Baron is the right combination...You can get rid of Webber and go back to 4 shots a game for Biedrins..Or you can think BIG...Have grand idea's ....I think Webber is perfect for Monta and Biedrins..And when it comes right down to the nitty gritty...All I care about is the future of Monta-AB-Wright...I want those 3 to flourish...I havnt changed my take...Webber's the right guy to play with our kids..I don't want Andris to have to be the only big down low and to be the 5th option on offense

I really havnt changed anything in my opinion...Webber has.
MbengaforMVP
Freshman

Post#478 » by MbengaforMVP » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:10 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I know you're not afraid to go out on a limb, but how come all the dramatic predictions come only after our worst games? How come after we stomp a mudhole in the Horets healthy and at full speed none of our prognosticators start preparing the championship parade?

I'm not preparing any championship parades because we've never shown that we can play at that level consistently. And what's our biggest problem? Not passing, not transition offense/defense; it's shooting. Baron and Jack both seem to have to jack up a ton of shots to get into an offensive flow, which doesn't bode well for the team any time that they go cold (and given the nature of shooting, that's gonna happen). Better to spread out the offensive load, and give the ball to whoever's got the hot hand, including Davis and Jackson whenever they're on.

As for the whole taking a step backwards comment in my first post on this thread, it's to do with the West getting much better this year, and the fact that you've got at least 10 (maybe more) playoff caliber teams fighting for 8 playoff spots.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#479 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:55 pm

We have not show that we will consistently play BAD either.

Other than the Jackless start, we have yet to lose two games in a row more than once this season.

This is just bad loss hysteria because we're all so close to it, and it looked SOOO bad.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#480 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm not saying there's nothing to criticize here either. I have issues with a lot of components of this season.

I just find the EAGERNESS with which this board has pulled a complete 180 from the Hornets game to be . . . odd . . .

Return to Golden State Warriors