ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the league - Shaq to Phoenix for Marion & Banks

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

bill curley II
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Around the league - Shaq to Phoenix for Marion & Banks 

Post#1 » by bill curley II » Wed Feb 6, 2008 5:33 am

Big time rumors on both ESPN and Yahoo Sports that Shaq is heading to PHX for Matrix and filler. Discuss.

Personally, if Shaq just stays healthy and gives them 13/8/2 and an inside presense, I don't see anyone beating them. Kerr definitely reacting to the Lakers move, knows that they have no chance against a healthy Bynum Pau frontline.
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#2 » by crzy » Wed Feb 6, 2008 5:45 am

Pat Riley works his magic once again. Shawn Marion, Dwayne Wade, Derrick Rose, and cap space. The Heat are back.

WOW. This might work or it might be a colossal failure. It depends on how in shape Shaq is.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:02 am

What a crazy week...There was some talk that Shaq was just unmotivated knowing the heat had no chance this year with the departures of Kapono, Posey and Jones....

I think he''s just washed up...
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#4 » by crzy » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:05 am

Now I really want the Warriors to face teh Suns in the first round :lol:
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#5 » by floppymoose » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:06 am

The Heat would have to trade with the Knicks to come up with any Shaq trade that isn't a complete shaft to the other team.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#6 » by Hopper15 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:08 am

Geez, I thought this was just a rumor. Now, it's being reported as fact.

I'm not sure what to think. It's a no-brainer for Miami. It could be great or really suck for Phoenix. Nash is the perfect PG for O'Neal. He and Stoudemire could be an incredible force down low in a slow down pace. But, can Phoenix survive their crappy defense in a slow down game?

Marion allowed Nash to be able to take nights off on defense, guarding guys like Baron. I don't think that can happen anymore. My initial thought is that this is not going to be good for Phoenix.
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#7 » by BooRadley » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:15 am

I don't see how this would work for the Suns either. Are they not going to be an up tempo team anymore? Shaq's just going to slow them down and doesn't provide much on the defensive end other than 6 fouls. And is he even gonna play this year? Or are they just gonna keep him shelved till the playoffs? I think Marion is overrated, but he's a great fit in Phoenix. We're gonna blow them out next time we play, no Marion on anyone!

D'antoni doesn't seem smart enough to turn them into a half court team mid season. Teams are gonna score 120+ consistently against them.
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#8 » by bballguy50 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:17 am

Can't help but think this could make Phoenix even better, contrary to popular belief.

Seems like a lot of teams are willing to deal right now. We should take advantage and make a move.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by bill curley II » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:21 am

Phoenix had to do a deal like this. SA beat them last week w/o Parker b/c they slowed it down and got back on defense, and Phx was basically impotent against that style of play.

Marion has trouble guarding Odom in the post as evidenced in the last two post season? Now he was projected to go against Pau? Amare already struggles big time against Bynum. LA would've slaughtered them inside.

I think it'll definitely slow them down a little, but I don't see it any different from LA playing with Bynum or us playing with CWebb. Amare can be the 4th guy with Shaq outletting out to Nash and Dro. They'll still be a good running team and now they have a low post guy in the half court.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#10 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:24 am

bballguy50 wrote: We should take advantage and make a move.
I dont want us to lose Andris or Monta this summer to FAgency...I dont want the warriors to trade Brandan for a playoff run this year....I don't care about anything else except keeping those three looooong term. If that takes trading Al or Baron to open up more cap room..Do it..Whatever..Just make sure we dont lose any of the 3 young studs.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by bill curley II » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:26 am

LF75 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I dont want us to lose Andris or Monta this summer to FAgency...I dont want the warriors to trade Brandan for a playoff run this year....I don't care about anything else except keeping those three looooong term. If that takes trading Al or Baron to open up more cap room..Do it..Whatever..Just make sure we dont lose any of the 3 young studs.

I agree. The next best big guy available is probably JO. Put JO on this team for free and they're still behind LA, SA, Phx, and Boston IMO.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#12 » by giberish » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:33 am

Outside of Phoenix, this is good for the rest of the Western Conference.

I questioned Kerr's competence on his offseason moves, but figured he was being pressured by Sarvar. If this is real then Kerr's on the Isiah/McHale level of GM and the Suns are in for a hard time. The 2010 pick Seattle has could end up quite high.
BooRadley
Head Coach

Post#13 » by BooRadley » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:35 am

There aren't many big guys who are gonna get us over the elite teams. I'm all for developing B Wright now at the expense of some wins down the road. Mark me down.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#14 » by floppymoose » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:42 am

LF75 wrote:I dont want us to lose Andris or Monta this summer to FAgency...I dont want the warriors to trade Brandan for a playoff run this year....I don't care about anything else except keeping those three looooong term.

<Yoda> Same page on, we are. </Yoda>
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#15 » by bballguy50 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:50 am

LF75 wrote:I dont want us to lose Andris or Monta this summer to FAgency...I dont want the warriors to trade Brandan for a playoff run this year....I don't care about anything else except keeping those three looooong term. If that takes trading Al or Baron to open up more cap room..Do it..Whatever..Just make sure we dont lose any of the 3 young studs.

Looooooooooooooooooo(high five)ooooooong term (metropcs commercial style)

BWright is ready enough. He needs more PT.

But we need to do something. Artest would be nice.
nbenmargi
Senior

Post#16 » by nbenmargi » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:51 am

Suns coaches, however, watched film of O'Neal on Tuesday, the source said, and came away thinking O'Neal's strong passing skills from the high post would work well in their half-court schemes.

Sound familiar?
BooRadley
Head Coach

Post#17 » by BooRadley » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:53 am

Copy cats? They should've just signed Webber instead of paying Shaq $40 million for 2 years. They're selling draft picks but then take on Shaq's salary. Not sure about that reasoning. They'd be better off keeping K Thomas.
nbenmargi
Senior

Post#18 » by nbenmargi » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:53 am

LF75 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree completley.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by mistatwo mayn » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:00 am

wow shaq back out west...
Yi Jian Lian
Veteran

Post#20 » by Yi Jian Lian » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:04 am

Well, it's pretty official now...

...this is a hit or miss for the rest of the West.

Return to Golden State Warriors