ImageImageImageImageImage

Bring back Greg Papa!

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

MbengaforMVP
Freshman
And1: 1

Bring back Greg Papa! 

Post#1 » by MbengaforMVP » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:21 pm

Please! If I have to listen to Fitz one more time I'm gonna shoot myself.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#2 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:19 pm

I have around 1800 bullet holes in my head.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#3 » by St.Nick » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:26 pm

Greg Papa is a legend. Why did he ever leave in the first place?
Abyss Impact
Banned User

Post#4 » by Abyss Impact » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:16 pm

Hes broadcasting the Giants game.
Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Post#5 » by Thugleavy34 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 8:58 pm

The Giants have a game? For some reason I thought they weren't playing today.
enderboy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#6 » by enderboy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:07 am

is there anyone here that would prefer fitz to papa? does anyone here actually like fitz? i'm not asking if you can tolerate him. i wanna know if anyone actually thinks he's a good broadcaster.

i'd rather have steve albert than fitz & he sucked too.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#7 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:10 am

Papa is a great announcer. I'll tell you why he was fired... er, not renewed.

It's because Papa is a Jack of All Trades... he's done the A's, Warriors, Giants, still does the Raiders (yes!). Warriors' brass are so full of themselves that they couldn't stand having a "non-exclusive" announcer.

So there you go.
gusyouout
Sophomore

Post#8 » by gusyouout » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:14 am

at least i'm not the only one who hates fitz as an announcer. on another board i complain but people seem to like him. i mean, i think he's ok on the radio, but i just can't stand him broadcasting games. i've wanted him out for some time now.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 am

I don't mind Fitz, he's okay. But Papa is the gold standard. And Barnett is pretty good, he's not afraid to point out the good and bad on either team, and like someone else said recently, he finds moments to teach the game (he loves the triple threat).
enderboy
Analyst

Post#10 » by enderboy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 am

gusyouout wrote:at least i'm not the only one who hates fitz as an announcer. on another board i complain but people seem to like him. i mean, i think he's ok on the radio, but i just can't stand him broadcasting games. i've wanted him out for some time now.

can't stand fitz on radio or tv. i know the w's would never pay the $, but i'd love it if they could pick up an established announcer that doesn't feel the need to sugarcoat. a real pro like al michaels or ted robinson.

i thought papa parted because of contract issues. well - mully's brought everyone back - why not papa? get tolbert on the broadcast team too.
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#11 » by bballguy50 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:59 am

I despise Fitz so much. He brings the life out of the broadcast every time he tries to be witty.

At least Barnett makes decent basketball comments, sometimes. And hey, Bill Russell would've made that play.
Rainbow Jumper
Rookie

Post#12 » by Rainbow Jumper » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:44 pm

If I remember correctly there was a lot of heat between Papa and Fitz when Papa got shafted by Cohan. I think Papa was helping Fitz break into the NBA announcing realm and that they were friends back in the day and then Fitz makes a deal to become the Warriors announcer behind Papa's back. Pretty shady by Fitz and I have always held it against him. I can understand why he snaked the job from Papa, NBA announcing even on a crappy team like the Warriors were, is still a dream job for a fan of the NBA, but still he should have gotten an NBA announcing gig the right way. Worked out for Papa though he got to announce for the Spurs :D
Warriors Analyst wrote:Rowell, you really nailed it. I love Marco because he can be really good when he hits, but when he misses I want to shave that pubic hair off of his face and yell at him to play the right way.
chris washburn
Freshman

Post#13 » by chris washburn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

i'd love to have papa back.....he's more professional and more exciting. both fitz and roy suck. they have no idea how to call the game. barnett is fine as the color man.

rehire papa! i know this isn't gonna happen.
Chris Washburn, commenting on his ability to drive to the basket, "Yeah, I can go to my right and my left. That's because I'm amphibious."
jnas45
Freshman

Post#14 » by jnas45 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Point of Information: Fitz used to do the NBA 2K series, so somebody's gotta like him! I remember I waved at him after a game once, and he waved back like a goofy little child because he was so happy to have one fan.

PS: Barnett is my hero!!
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#15 » by KR4 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Rainbow Jumper wrote:If I remember correctly there was a lot of heat between Papa and Fitz when Papa got shafted by Cohan. I think Papa was helping Fitz break into the NBA announcing realm and that they were friends back in the day and then Fitz makes a deal to become the Warriors announcer behind Papa's back. Pretty shady by Fitz and I have always held it against him. I can understand why he snaked the job from Papa, NBA announcing even on a crappy team like the Warriors were, is still a dream job for a fan of the NBA, but still he should have gotten an NBA announcing gig the right way. Worked out for Papa though he got to announce for the Spurs :D

Yeah it was real shady. I can't F*%$#ng stand Fitz on the radio or the TV. I've tried numerous times to call in to the Rod bobs Bob's rod show and ask..."Hey what ever happened to Greg Papa? Didn't HE used to be the Warriors announcer before you? Its odd they didn't keep him."

But every time I do it they use the 15 second delay and cut me off.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#16 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm

KR4 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah it was real shady. I can't F*%$#ng stand Fitz on the radio or the TV. I've tried numerous times to call in to the Rod bobs Bob's rod show and ask..."Hey what ever happened to Greg Papa? Didn't HE used to be the Warriors announcer before you? Its odd they didn't keep him."

But every time I do it they use the 15 second delay and cut me off.

Fight **** god damned **** licking censorship!!

Seriously, thats pretty funny :) Poor Fitz. If he wasn't so lacking in skills I'd feel bad for him.
scwarrior
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#17 » by scwarrior » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 pm

I love fitz. He's not amazing, but I've been used to him for awhile and I don't think I'd enjoy a change, too set in my ways of enjoying the game.

Barnett is fantastic, one of the top color guys in the nba.
KR4
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by KR4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 am

scwarrior wrote:I love fitz. He's not amazing, but I've been used to him for awhile and I don't think I'd enjoy a change, too set in my ways of enjoying the game.

Barnett is fantastic, one of the top color guys in the nba.

It almost sounds like your not being sarcastic or negative. I don't know if they allow that here. :wavefinger:
KR4
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by KR4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 am

St.Nick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Fight **** god damned **** licking censorship!!

Seriously, thats pretty funny :) Poor Fitz. If he wasn't so lacking in skills I'd feel bad for him.

I guess they really don't like the backdoor insults on the air...apparently, to them, Fitzy-pooh's ego is worth preserving.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#20 » by -bob- » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am

I hate when Fitz dwells on something that happened in the first quarter like missed FTs or "a 5 point swing(mark that down because if we lose blah blah blah". He spends the first 3 quarters looking for excuses just in case we lose. Thats really annoying. We're a winning team now, enough with the loser mentality. He needs to go do play by play for some losing team, thats his bread and butter.

Return to Golden State Warriors