ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade deadline comin soon.. Do warriors make a deal?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#221 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 am

510Reggae wrote:BTW... it was all Webber's fault... not Nellie :lol: Oh man Nick... I dont think I can even do it anymore... Have a good season bud!

That's the only part of my post you chose to respond to? Come on, Reg. You can do better than that ;)
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#222 » by floppymoose » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:56 am

Code: Select all

Ned: Well, I guess this is a case where we'll have to agree to
          disagree.
 Skinner: I don't agree to that.
    Edna: Neither do I!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#223 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:11 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't any team interested in Patrick O'Bryant be foolish to trade for him? Because they would also inherit the rights to only resign him for a salary starting at 2.4 mil, ie. the value of the option we declined for next season. Whereas any other team could sign him for up to the mid-level exception?

I'm still operating under the assumption that we'll resign him next season to a multi-year deal for much less than that 2.4 mil figure. I'm hoping Nellie isn't playing him because he doesn't want POB to get enough exposure to warrant interest from another team. Hence why poor Andris can't figure for the life of him why POB is in the dog house. It's exactly the sort of thing you can't just come clean about even to the team, this smells of a conspiracy between Nellie and Mullin to save a little money on POB's back. Just my personal opinion.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#224 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:18 am

Any team trading for POB (rather than taking him as an expiring contract in a bigger deal) is stupid because all they get is a few months rental (but also a few months up-close look), with no advantage whatsoever in re-signing him or signing and trading him (but yes, ANY team taking Patrick on could lavish their entire MLE on him if they want! - and I hope some other Western conference team does exactly that! Say $30 mil over 5 years!)

If Patrick is signed elsewhere in the League this summer, I assume it will be for less than the ~$3 mil the Warriors would have been on the hook for. But I would be really, really... no, REALLY surprised if the Warriors brought him back.

I love Andris as a player, but his forte is hardly talent evaluator, is it?
thetrueth
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#225 » by thetrueth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There goes the homer patrol again... make up facts, its the only way to go :thumbsup:

So when I say Monty was correct in tabbing the Suns as fools gold type of team, I unknowingly threw myself into the re-hire Monty bandwagon :rofl:

Man oh man... the characters here are just hilarious :D

BTW... wouldn't the Suns recent acquisition of Shaq be a giant white flag to all teams trying this C-less run-n-gun smallball? Not our coach though... he's far too much of a genius and not silly at all, he's gonna stay the course that has provided much success in the past :nod:

Dallas got hot in the playoffs... good for them, ran into a talented duo and got floored by them. Since then? Nada. Previously? Same thing... one good thing amidst a sea of mediocrity = an aberration...

You aren't a real championship contender if you lose to a gimmicky team like us in the playoffs...

you had mentioned how Monty was the one who developed Biedrins, not Nelly. And you want nellie fired, and Wright developed. If not a coach like Monty, who do you want?

Actually answer this instead.

Who would you rather have coaching us next year, Nellie or Monty?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#226 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:42 pm

thetrueth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you had mentioned how Monty was the one who developed Biedrins, not Nelly. And you want nellie fired, and Wright developed. If not a coach like Monty, who do you want?

Actually answer this instead.

Who would you rather have coaching us next year, Nellie or Monty?

I know this is hard for a lot of you faithful pessimists to believe... but I actually think our roster, in a year or two w/proper development, can be a run-n-gun uptempo team and compete for a title. Who knew? :dontknow:

I'd take Monty over Nellie though... at least we'd find out what we have. There wouldn't be any hollow 50 win seasons using scrubs and wire guys... for all the Monty bashing for being an idiot (and he was) he never had the same type of talent that Nellie has to work with...

Either coach will eventually run us into the ground... Nellie makes it more entertaining for the casual fans... whoopty damn doo. The youth on our team is more efficient, while the experience on our team is more high-risk/high-reward... I guess the question really is which side do you want to invest in?
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#227 » by GSWhoopfan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45 pm

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So if I'm getting this correctly, Brandan Wright held his own in the post 1 on 1 because his teammates were good...

The question is irrelevant... this is getting borderline ridiculous. I literally dont think we can talk about basketball because you ask questions and make points that have nothing to do with whats being said... he held his own against people much heavier than him, in the post, individually. Im not just looking at box scores - the kid has great balance.

Who cares that he didn't line up against NBA people... he lined up against heavier, stronger people, and still succeeded. When he was 15 lbs lighter than he is now.

im not looking at box scores either...im looking at physical talent that he competed against. nothing in college is comparable to the nba. the ACC front courts arent even close to the front court of the Wolves and the Heat for crying out loud.

im saying Wright played against college talent, none of which are going to make in the league. he wasnt vastly superior against his foes. every college game he played, he wasnt the best player on the court.

who cares that he didnt line up against NBA people??? c'mon man...think that one over again. who cares??? just the people that know hes going to line up against NBA people day in and night....i love your bull man.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Let me try and simplify this as much as possible:

-Nellie says BWright is not ready.

-Wright, in his limited time, has played well within the system, offensively and defensively. He has certainly looked better than our current bench players at times.

-Nellie has mentioned strength as a reason for Wright not being able to play now

-Wright was holding guys who were 40-50lb heavier than him outside of the post, and D them up: when he was 15 lbs lighter

So what's that say about Nellie, and his bull?
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach

Post#229 » by GSWhoopfan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm

510Reggae wrote:Let me try and simplify this as much as possible:

-Nellie says BWright is not ready.

-Wright, in his limited time, has played well within the system, offensively and defensively. He has certainly looked better than our current bench players at times.

-Nellie has mentioned strength as a reason for Wright not being able to play now

-Wright was holding guys who were 40-50lb heavier than him outside of the post, and D them up: when he was 15 lbs lighter

So what's that say about Nellie, and his bull?

it says 32-20. 7th seed in the playoffs. best record at this point since 91. at the end of the day its about winning. and thats what we are doing without Wright. winning ball games is what the focus is right now. thats what hes preaching to our players and thats what we are doing.

edit: you might be one of the rare people in this world that has a problem with winning.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

So the answer to "Why is Wright not playing, with Nellie citing strength as a reason, despite the fact that a 15 lb lighter kid was D-ing up guys much stronger than him all NCAA season, and he understands our concepts on D and offense?"

is

32-20.

Ok.. so much for logic then. I guess if we played Wright we'd be on Sacramento's level then?

10mpg for a rookie would just be brutal for us.... it might even be a sign of the apocolypse :nod:
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#231 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:04 pm

34-18 if Nellie would of kept Pat Burke :banghead:
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#232 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:06 pm

You are a coach, right Reggae? So, give me an answer to this hypothetical question.

You are assistant coaching your HS team. They are a good squad full of Seniors with a chance to win County. The arena is packed every night, the fans are thrilled with the success the team is achieving.

But off in the distance, you notice on the playground a 6'8 Freshman that can jump through the roof. He doesn't have any basketball skills and he's years away from contributing to the team, but....if you can develop this kid then in three years you could have a team that not only wins county, but wins the STATE title and gets national recognition. This kid has that much potential.

Do you decide to give all of your energy to this project and forget about the team that is only looking to win county? Or do you gamble your current success on winning it all in a few years?

This is purely hypothetical, of course :D
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach

Post#233 » by GSWhoopfan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

510Reggae wrote:So the answer to "Why is Wright not playing, with Nellie citing strength as a reason, despite the fact that a 15 lb lighter kid was D-ing up guys much stronger than him all NCAA season, and he understands our concepts on D and offense?"

is

32-20.

Ok.. so much for logic then. I guess if we played Wright we'd be on Sacramento's level then?

10mpg for a rookie would just be brutal for us.... it might even be a sign of the apocolypse :nod:

who knows? we havent been winning by a lot of points. so who knows. what i do know is rookies will make mistakes, more so than veterans.

are you saying 10mpg and we are the Hornets/Suns level???

how do you somehow know he understands the concepts of our offense and defense? dont say because Nellie said once.

"D'ing up" in college means absolutely nothing...you need to realize that.
previous stats (college, Europe) dont translate to much in the league. there is a transition phase unless you are LeBron.

we all know hes talented as hell...we get that.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

who knows? we havent been winning by a lot of points. so who knows. what i do know is rookies will make mistakes, more so than veterans.

are you saying 10mpg and we are the Hornets/Suns level???

how do you somehow know he understands the concepts of our offense and defense? dont say because Nellie said once.

we all know hes talented as hell...we get that.

I dont know where to go with this...

So Pietrus and Barnes will make less mistakes than Brandan? He'd literally have to try to keep up with those 2...

I have eyes.... he rotates fast. He's long. He has a quick jump, and a very high one as well. He knows where he's supposed to be.. that has most of our bench beat right there.

I had to save one quote though...

"D'ing up" in college means absolutely nothing...you need to realize that.
previous stats (college, Europe) dont translate to much in the league. there is a transition phase unless you are LeBron.

The italics... I giant misconception. The difference isn't in strength, its finesse. Footwork. Knowing the game. Unbelievably, Wright has shown the ability to do all of the above in his limited time.

The transition phase is comfort, knowing where your supposed to be all the time, just reacting and not thinking about it. Wright acted like that his first few games... since then he has not. But undoubtedly, with longer stretches and more meaningul game time, he will make mistakes, and he will get rattled. So instead of getting those out of the way, getting him acclimated to a playoff caliber team, we bench him and delay that progress until next season... maybe even the season after. And why?

So we all can be very proud of a 50 win season. :banghead:
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#235 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:25 pm

St.Nick wrote:Do you decide to give all of your energy to this project and forget about the team that is only looking to win county? Or do you gamble your current success on winning it all in a few years?

That false choice is putting on up on a Tee for 510.

Nothing about Brandan's play in real live NBA games indicates that playing him 10 of Pete's minutes to accelerate his development would jeopardize the playoffs. Nothing.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#236 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That false choice is putting on up on a Tee for 510.

Nothing about Brandan's play in real live NBA games indicates that playing him 10 of Pete's minutes to accelerate his development would jeopardize the playoffs. Nothing.

But Reggae didn't just say that he wants 10 minutes for Brandan. He wants POB to get minutes. He said it wouldn't be a bad thing for Baron to get injured so that Monta could develop into a PG more quickly. He even said that he'd rather have Monty coaching than Nellie!!

So the question is absolutely relevant.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#237 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm

St.Nick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But Reggae didn't just say that he wants 10 minutes for Brandan. He wants POB to get minutes. He said it wouldn't be a bad thing for Baron to get injured so that Monta could develop into a PG more quickly. He even said that he'd rather have Monty coaching than Nellie!!

So the question is absolutely relevant.

I have an insanity filter when it comes to 510. I know he's a looneybird, so I throw out the gibberish and focus on the real point:

Brandan should have played a ton of Pete's minutes this year.

We should all be able to agree on that.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#238 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I love Brandan and I can't wait for him to get into our rotation. But I will not post here 25 times every day and wish doom upon our season and our coach in order to try to prove that.

It's just strange. This whole season of having people here constantly coming down on the Warriors is strange. The fact that so many people are complicit with these kook's opinions is strange, too.

We used to have such a nice happy board. Now I want to take a valium every morning I have to read through this crap.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#239 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 pm

None of us "have to" read it.

There's the ignore button, and there's WW. We have all the options you could ask for, except controlling what other people can or can't post. There's no button for that one yet.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#240 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:None of us "have to" read it.

There's the ignore button, and there's WW. We have all the options you could ask for, except controlling what other people can or can't post. There's no button for that one yet.

It's a territorial issue, I suppose.

You hate to relent upon something or someone that seems to be trying to create too much "negative" influence on the place that you enjoy being at.

This is an interesting sociological experiment though. It kind of helps me understand why some people fight rather than come up with practical compromises and solutions to disagreements. Ego, pride, history, influence, all important to us individually. We have our ideas and we don't like to see someone try to step on them or try to make other people turn against them.

Fascinating stuff, really.

Return to Golden State Warriors