ImageImageImageImageImage

Monta to make 10X His salary Next year?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Sports_1140
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#141 » by Sports_1140 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 am

Hmmm, I dont know I really really tried using the cap and seeing how the warriors CAN DO BOTH, IMPROVE and RE-SIGN biedrins and ellis but I just cant see it.

2nd question, what happens if baron opts out?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#142 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 am

43rd question, what if CJ Watson wants 6.5 million to start?
Sports_1140
Banned User

Post#143 » by Sports_1140 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:14 am

Ok whatever dude, your annoying me, I'm trying to get good info from the fans of a team I'm askign a question about. I dont know how you get off by making comments like that for no reason.

But anyways your on ignore.
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#144 » by FaTaL » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 am

Carl_Monday wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1) Barnes will make more than $3 mil per year, and will get some sort of long term deal (he deserves it). How much? Who knows.

barnes has been playing like crap this year, he wont get a long term deal anywhere.
Sports_1140
Banned User

Post#145 » by Sports_1140 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:22 am

Might be true (barnes playing like crap), but thats not how it works in the nba, he aint going to make less then 3 million for a 1 year contract, that was basicallythe point of the barnes topic.
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#146 » by MightyReds2020 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 am

LF75 wrote:43rd question, what if CJ Watson wants 6.5 million to start?

I'll probably have to cut the tie with either Beans or Monta. CJ is going to be great.
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#147 » by MightyReds2020 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 am

Sports_1140 wrote:Might be true (barnes playing like crap), but thats not how it works in the nba, he aint going to make less then 3 million for a 1 year contract, that was basicallythe point of the barnes topic.

joking aside. i actually agreed that there's a good chance we lose Barnes due to luxury tax concern. but as long as we resign beans and monta i'm not sweating over not resigning barnes. i'm sure most warriors fans here will agree with me.
FaTaL
Veteran

Post#148 » by FaTaL » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 am

Sports_1140 wrote:Might be true (barnes playing like crap), but thats not how it works in the nba, he aint going to make less then 3 million for a 1 year contract, that was basicallythe point of the barnes topic.

theres no point in bringing up barnes, if he leaves he leaves

hes not a important core player
thetrueth
Analyst

Post#149 » by thetrueth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:36 am

say we lose Barnes (although this past offseason, shows how tough the market is for guys like him and Pietrus, they had NO offers other than ours).

How are we gonna be worse when we still have:
Baron
Ellis
Biedrins
Jax
Harrington
Wright
Belinelli

We've picked up guys like Azubiuke, CJ Watson, Croshere for dirt cheap.
Just those top 6 guys are our Core. Barnes is used quite a bit, but not part of the core.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#150 » by Chris Cohan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

FaTaL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

barnes has been playing like crap this year, he wont get a long term deal anywhere.

Quit hatin on My Bad
FaTaL
Veteran

Post#151 » by FaTaL » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

warriors are better off without barnes, bely and wright need to find mins next year anyways. thats one way to force nelson into playing them
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#152 » by Hopper15 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:43 am

I hope this helps illustrates how we can't use the TPE for anything greater than an expiring contract.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#153 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 am

thetrueth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i disagree, with the first part. I think the salary shedding was the #1 reason, and if possible 1a, in a getting a player thats perfect for this team. In retrospect, this was a fantastic fantastic trade. Where would we be without it? No Bwright, financially capped, and difficult to sign both tay and Beans.

In response to the part i bolded, do you think Nellie believes Yi was better for winning now than Jrich? I dont think so, and so it breaks the reasoning that the pick was priority #1, rather than the salary shed.

We could have shed cap any other way... getting an EC is difficult but far from impossible...

It was a dream scenario for the W's.... JRich was nowhere near worth a lottery pick, especially just coming out of surgery with the bulk of his contract coming... we needed a semi-up and comer to come out and overbid... the Bobcats fell straight into our laps.

And absolutely Nellie thinks it would make us a better team... he keeps complaining about not having size, about having terrible luck w/big men... if you ignore all the other coincidences, it could make sense - but way too many to ignore...

JRich was getting the silent treatment from Nellie most of the season, not much was ever heard about him from Nellie... he gushed about Yi more than JRich. No doubt in my mind Nellie's target was Yi... anyone who doesn't think that that was the primary reason better have a lot of support for it, because thats where all the facts point to...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 am

azwfan wrote:In response to 510 from a page or 2 ago,

Then i think our only disagreement would be use of vocabulary. If the deal was to get Yi, then Yi not being available would have killed the deal. Therefore the deal was not about getting Yi, it was about getting a talented young big (who may or may not be Yi, and who you believe the Warriors HOPED would be Yi), and getting a !#$% load of cap relief.

This was addressed earlier in the thread (see about page 4, I think, where we discuss why the deal was consummated way before the draft)... its merely speculation that the Warriors wanted Yi, but the lotto pick was obviously the crux of the deal.

Of the PFs tenatively there at 8, hypothetically, there were only a few options: Al Thornton, Joakim Noah, Yi Jianlian. Every mock had Yi going to CHI, if ATL passed on him. We traded ahead of one of the markets Yi approved of.

When you look at the mocks, the pre-hype, the who everyone was looking at, it seems pretty obvious that Yi was the target... you just can't ignore the many coincidences leading up to that.

Regardless... there was no reason for the W's to think Yi wouldn't be there... only a foolish team that was told not to draft Yi, and drafted him anyways, could screw it up...

Enter Larry Harris.
thetrueth
Analyst

Post#155 » by thetrueth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:41 am

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We could have shed cap any other way... getting an EC is difficult but far from impossible...

It was a dream scenario for the W's.... JRich was nowhere near worth a lottery pick, especially just coming out of surgery with the bulk of his contract coming... we needed a semi-up and comer to come out and overbid... the Bobcats fell straight into our laps.

And absolutely Nellie thinks it would make us a better team... he keeps complaining about not having size, about having terrible luck w/big men... if you ignore all the other coincidences, it could make sense - but way too many to ignore...

JRich was getting the silent treatment from Nellie most of the season, not much was ever heard about him from Nellie... he gushed about Yi more than JRich. No doubt in my mind Nellie's target was Yi... anyone who doesn't think that that was the primary reason better have a lot of support for it, because thats where all the facts point to...

can you show me where nellie gushed over Yi?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#156 » by gswhoops » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:00 am

Hell...10x would be a steal. If we can lock Monta up for 6 years at only $7.7M a year I would be amazed.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:19 am

thetrueth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

can you show me where nellie gushed over Yi?

You look it up... Nellie was quoted on Yi predraft several times, and then quoted on him preseason, and then quoted on him yet again during the middle of the season when we weren't even playing against the Bucks... each time he talks about how much talent the kid has :rofl:
thetrueth
Analyst

Post#158 » by thetrueth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:52 am

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You look it up... Nellie was quoted on Yi predraft several times, and then quoted on him preseason, and then quoted on him yet again during the middle of the season when we weren't even playing against the Bucks... each time he talks about how much talent the kid has :rofl:

you're making the statement, back it, you expect everyone to take your word for it?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#159 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:06 am

Maybe the Warriors liked Yi more than Brandan, who knows? I remember there was a lot of speculation back in the day, by the Warriors and by the League - Webber or Shawn Bradley? Probably, Warriors would have taken Bradley instead of Penny if he was available and Webber were not.

But they obviously liked Brandan, or the deal would not have gone down. A draft day trade is not sealed for a draft spot when you've got no idea who will be there at the spot. Most likely, there were a few players the Warriors liked at #8, and if one of those guys were available, the trade would be consummated.

Of course, Charlotte could have said "never mind" if Durant slipped to #8. And Warriors could have said "never mind" if Yi (or Wright) wasn't there, or even if a better deal came along! Even when all the players are known and both teams agree in principle, it's not final until the paperwork is drawn up, signed off on, submitted and approved by the League - as we saw just the other day with J-Kidd.

The trade made a lot of sense in so many ways though - Warriors were guard rich and big man poor, J-Rich had a lot of value around the League, but also a pretty big contract and the Warriors needed cap flexibility, and they probably figured there were a couple or few big men likely to be there at #8 (in a deep draft) who the Warriors would love to have.

Pretty much a win-win any way you look at it, whether the Warriors were enamored with Yi or not.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm

jrhester wrote:
But they obviously liked Brandan, or the deal would not have gone down. A draft day trade is not sealed for a draft spot when you've got no idea who will be there at the spot. Most likely, there were a few players the Warriors liked at #8, and if one of those guys were available, the trade would be consummated.

Wrong again.... deal was made before the draft. Backing out of the deal ends your credibility as a general manager...

If you think credibility doesn't matter since there isn't a win % for it, good for you... take a look at Carlos Boozer. Left his handshake agreement on the table to join the Jazz... his agent had to leave him or else he'd never get good clients again.

It was reported to be finalized way before the draft... they even made mention during the draft that the deal was sent in PRE draft, but it only could be announced once the picks were made... Deals are official before they are announced...

Return to Golden State Warriors