Monta to make 10X His salary Next year?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#161 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm

510Reggae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wrong again.... deal was made before the draft. Backing out of the deal ends your credibility as a general manager...

That's the first I'm ever hearing of that. I would like to see some kind of substantiation of that one. No "proof" required, but throw me some kind of bone here . . . an agent is NOT the same thing as a GM.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#162 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's the first I'm ever hearing of that. I would like to see some kind of substantiation of that one. No "proof" required, but throw me some kind of bone here . . . an agent is NOT the same thing as a GM.

It isn't? They work with the GMs, dont they?

The agent with Boozer had to leave him after that debacle... goes to show that credibility is important enough right there. If not, wouldn't more players flock to him because he got Boozer a great deal?

You make a deal and then back out last second, as professional GM? What team will ever do business with you again? If the public catches wind of it at all, you are history.. certainly every GM would know about it.

Remember what the 'backing out' is... agreeing to a deal for a pick, and when something unexpected happens right before its official, pulling the plug on it... at least as its presented here as a fictional story.
thetrueth
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#163 » by thetrueth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 pm

There are deals that can be made with contingencies. You're arguement to that was that CHA wouldn't do a deal like that. I disagree.

What if for some reason, Oden slipped to #8. CHA still does the trade?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#164 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:45 am

thetrueth wrote:There are deals that can be made with contingencies. You're arguement to that was that CHA wouldn't do a deal like that. I disagree.

What if for some reason, Oden slipped to #8. CHA still does the trade?

What if, for some reason, the Cavs cut LeBron James?

While we're dreaming, what if Nellie just stepped down right now and we signed Nate McMillan away from the Blazers tomorrow?

If you're side of the argument requires an act of God, you usually dont have much to stand on.

While deals can be made with contingencies, it was reported by everyone that the trade was made pre-draft, way before the draft actually. Neither side would agree to the deal with all these strings attached... this isn't NBA Live where you can just go off the collar and make a team. This is real life, decisions are thought out way in advance, and I guarantee no team is going to make a deal "if a player is still on the board"...

There are instances where teams will see a player dropping, and contact the team 2 picks ahead... but no team is going to make a deal like that pre-draft... give me a break.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#165 » by floppymoose » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:03 am

510Reggae wrote:There are instances where teams will see a player dropping, and contact the team 2 picks ahead... but no team is going to make a deal like that pre-draft... give me a break.

Wait, you are saying no team predraft is going to say "we'll trade you X for your pick if Y is still available then"?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#166 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:08 am

floppymoose wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wait, you are saying no team predraft is going to say "we'll trade you X for your pick if Y is still available then"?

Kinda. I am saying that no team (the team with the pick when Y is availabile) will agree to that type of deal pre-draft. I'm sure it's said often.

The reason is simple: if you are drafting that player, you know exactly what you can get from the original offerer. Now lets say the player, we'll call him Yi, is drafted by the 2nd team. Are they going to immediately call back the other GM and make that trade? No way... there's a reason that team called ahead - to jump in front of someone else. Find out who that someone else is. See if they are willing to part with more. In most cases, that team will have a pick coming up.

But to say its agreed upon? Nah. Doesn't make any sense that way.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#167 » by -bob- » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:01 am

I don't know how you guys do it, replying to Reggae. how do you respond to someone constantly talking out of his ass???
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#168 » by old rem » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:31 am

sanddude909 wrote:Some clown on the Magic board has been arguing that Ellis will be gone next year.

Upholding the virtue of our board, I suggested that he read the article and get real, though perhaps not quite as sweetly as that.

Now, dear God, Mullin had better come through and re-sign Ellis or I'm going to look like even more of a dork than I already am.

The more interesting question, assuming that re-signing Ellis is set in stone, is whether and for how much we are going to re-sign Andris. The way his minutes have gone down as the year has gone by, I'm deathly afraid that we are going to try to low-ball him, he'll resent it and sign the qualifying offer, and then we'll lose him in unrestricted free agency at the end of 08-09.

You wouldn't be a dork for assuming a guy paid millions to be the franchises brains won't be Dork Of The Year. If the guy who paid $9 mill + for Dun + Adonal won't go MLE plus the cost of Croshere.....$7 Mill for this young Mini-Jordan,he does not deserve the job-or any job.

Is Biedrins> Nene? Curry? Dalembert? Darko? .....duh? :peace:

We pay what it takes to play the game or we go Grizzly....give away guys..move to other smaller towns...always waving the for sale sign as we whine that we lack a loyal fan base. :crazy:
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#169 » by old rem » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 am

It isn't? They work with the GMs, dont they?

The agent with Boozer had to leave him after that debacle... goes to show that credibility is important enough right there. If not, wouldn't more players flock to him because he got Boozer a great deal?

You make a deal and then back out last second, as professional GM? What team will ever do business with you again? If the public catches wind of it at all, you are history.. certainly every GM would know about it.

Remember what the 'backing out' is... agreeing to a deal for a pick, and when something unexpected happens right before its official, pulling the plug on it... at least as its presented here as a fictional story.

Of course credibility is ESSENTIAL for both GMs and agents. Who makes a "Deal" with a guy who breaks deals?

A player...such as Boozer...is a commodity. His business sense or ethics is not why he's in the NBA. The Agent? Dead meat. No team NEEDS to treat him like more than a pest...and that cuts off his nads as an agent.

What If Oden dropped to #8? Yeah...no red flags? No nasty rumors or message of doom from the medical guys? Just drops from prospect of the decade to number 8.....and then an asteroid hits and Oakland is a big crater and the w's play in Oklahoma for awhile...and so on..

Teams agree to terms at some point--and it's bad form to bail out. Likely the Warriors figured they get Wright,Yi,or Noah. The terms may be that the deal is sealed only once the Bobs are on the clock. That's also common.
CENSORED... No comment.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#170 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 am

What I expect this off-season is long drawn out contract negotiations that last almost to the start of the season.

I think the Warriors pay what it takes to keep Baron, Monta, Andris and Barnes.

I think the Warriors don't make serious offers to Azubuike, Pietrus, and POB so they walk away. I don't expect Webber or Croshere to be on the roster.

I think CJ Watson will be invited to training camp but won't be offered a guaranteed contract. I think some other low cost point guard will be invited to compete with Watson for the back up point guard job. Watson or the other low cost point guard will get a roster spot.

I think two low cost off-guards will be invited to camp to compete with Belinelli for the back up off guard slot. Belinelli and one of the two low cost training camp off guards will get roster spots. The better or more veteran of Belinelli or the low cost off guard will play 16 minutes a game while Baron and Monta both play 40 minutes a game. When baron gets injured the minutes change.

Wright plays 15 minutes a game at power forward.

Kosta and some big man who can shoot 3s are on the Roster but Nelson does not play them. Once again Harrington gets the back up center minutes. Two projects get drafted and spend the season in the NBDL.

If the Warriors get lucky regarding injuries they get the 7th or 8th seed. If the are unlucky with injuries they win 30 games.
thetrueth
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#171 » by thetrueth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 am

What if, for some reason, the Cavs cut LeBron James?

While we're dreaming, what if Nellie just stepped down right now and we signed Nate McMillan away from the Blazers tomorrow?

If you're side of the argument requires an act of God, you usually dont have much to stand on.

While deals can be made with contingencies, it was reported by everyone that the trade was made pre-draft, way before the draft actually. Neither side would agree to the deal with all these strings attached... this isn't NBA Live where you can just go off the collar and make a team. This is real life, decisions are thought out way in advance, and I guarantee no team is going to make a deal "if a player is still on the board"...

There are instances where teams will see a player dropping, and contact the team 2 picks ahead... but no team is going to make a deal like that pre-draft... give me a break.

clearly a hypothetical statement is made to emphasize a point, that point which you choose to ignore is: there are circumstances (contingencies) built into pre-arranged deals that account for certain players being available.

but like i said in the other thread, i'm done getting into a pissing contest with you about who can be most condescending.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#172 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 am

510Reggae wrote:take a look at Carlos Boozer. Left his handshake agreement on the table to join the Jazz... his agent had to leave him or else he'd never get good clients again.

And who suffered here? Cleveland, because they thought they had a deal before they did.

But there's nothing disreputable or surprising about entering into a tentative agreement based on certain expected variables, like having a certain player or players available at a draft spot. In fact it's logical, common sense.

You might be better off 510 if you pick your battles, but I guess that's not your style.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm

thetrueth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

clearly a hypothetical statement is made to emphasize a point, that point which you choose to ignore is: there are circumstances (contingencies) built into pre-arranged deals that account for certain players being available.

And I explained why these pre-arranged deals (meaning completed) do not happen, and it certainly wasn't the case for our deal. It takes away all leverage from one team - what kind of moron of a GM would do that? (Sit down, Chris Wallace)

Return to Golden State Warriors