ImageImageImageImageImage

rumor: jermaine oneal to the warriors

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

moneyman
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#21 » by moneyman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:33 pm

Depending upon how much salary you want to take on, I'm not sure it would cost you Harrington (also not sure Indy wants him back). Mike Miller and Lowery for the trade exception / Warrior pick to end up in Indiana along with O'Bryant, Perovic, Peitrus, and Croshere. Would be difficult to stay under the luxury tax, however your big contracts (Davis and O'Neal) are not long. Can't combine players with the trade exception, however you can use the trade exception in a multi-team trade, which is what you would be doing here.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,560

Post#22 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 pm

I'm pretty sure the scenarios being described here are not legal.

The deal can't be done as a 3 way deal. If it is, then the Warriors end up taking on Jermaine's huge contract without dealing out corresponding contracts, and that's bogus, in light of the fact that Jermaine doesn't fit into the trade exception. Unless we can pile up Al, Pietrus, O'Bryant, etc. etc. and actually come close enough to O'Neal's contract.

It was also suggested that it would be two separate deals. In the first we'd get Miller and Cardinal (for example) using the trade exception and other hocus pocus, and then turn around and trade those two for Jermaine O'Neal. The problem with that scenario is that we'd be getting Miller (for example), and immediately bundling him with other players and trading him. You can't do that either; if you trade for someone, and want to trade them again within... 30 days? 60 days?, you can't bundle them with other players.

I did get a chuckle out of an offer that would ask for Biedrins, but settle for Kosta.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#23 » by turk3d » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Actually, Moneyman might be on to something. If you couple the TE with Harrington, Pietrus, POB and Croshere, that is approximately 10 Mil + 8.3 Mil + 3.2 Mil + 2.4 Mil + .8 Mil for a total of almost 25 Mil. With Germaine at about 19 Mil and Miller at about 8.4 Mil it's starting to get pretty close. With the 20% rule in play just add a few fillers if necessary and something just might be workable. Add in the Warriors #1, couple it with the fact that teams are getting screwed on deals with their high priced superstars and people might get interested.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#24 » by BooRadley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:09 pm

I'm not sure if I wanna trade Harrington. That just means more jacked 3's for Baron and Jackson. Harrington hits them regularly, the others don't. Nellie won't change the game plan.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#25 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:10 pm

turk3d wrote:Actually, Moneyman might be on to something. If you couple the TE with Harrington, Pietrus, POB and Croshere, that is approximately 10 Mil + 8.3 Mil + 3.2 Mil + 2.4 Mil + .8 Mil for a total of almost 25 Mil. With Germaine at about 19 Mil and Miller at about 8.4 Mil it's starting to get pretty close. With the 20% rule in play just add a few fillers if necessary and something just might be workable. Add in the Warriors #1, couple it with the fact that teams are getting screwed on deals with their high priced superstars and people might get interested.

Yes, but you can't do that. You can't "couple" the TE with players, and if you use the TE for Miller, then you can't "couple" him with other players until long after the trade deadline.

turk3d
RealGM

Post#26 » by turk3d » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, but you can't do that. You can't "couple" the TE with players, and if you use the TE for Miller, then you can't "couple" him with other players until long after the trade deadline.

However in a 3-way I believe you could for example, send the TPE to Memphis for Miller and let's say Lowery, then in turn couple Miller with Harrington and perhaps Lowery) and send them back to Indiana for O'Neal. I believe something along these lines would be legal. You'd also have to integrate Pietrus and POB in the deal someone (which would involve some additional players from Indiana and/or Memphis). I think this is actually doable. As long as no Biedrens and Wright are not involved, I suppose I could live with it even though we would going back into Salary Cap hell (I guess who care it's Cohan's money, lol).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#27 » by MightyReds2020 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

However in a 3-way I believe you could for example, send the TPE to Memphis for Miller and let's say Lowery, then in turn couple Miller with Harrington and perhaps Lowery) and send them back to Indiana for O'Neal. I believe something along these lines would be legal. You'd also have to integrate Pietrus and POB in the deal someone (which would involve some additional players from Indiana and/or Memphis). I think this is actually doable. As long as no Biedrens and Wright are not involved, I suppose I could live with it even though we would going back into Salary Cap hell (I guess who care it's Cohan's money, lol).

No, that's illegal either, as explained by CP's hair 3 posts earlier.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#28 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Wow, if Indiana could pull out beans in this trade that would make them a playoff team for sure.

I can see the after trade numbers already...

Beans
PTS 15.8
RBD 12.4
BLK 2.1
FG 64.1
FT 67.2
MIN 34.5

Dunleavy
PTS 17.5
RBD 5.3
AST 4.3
STL 1.2
FG 512
3P 418
FT 873
MIN 35.8

Indy with the 6th seed and Warriors 1 game out of the playoffs after Baron goes down.

:banghead:
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#29 » by turk3d » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:55 pm

MightyReds2020 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, that's illegal either, as explained by CP's hair 3 posts earlier.

Athough I'm not a Certified Capologist, this is legal. We are not trading the TPE for O'Neal, we are using it to acquire Miller (salary at 8.25 Mil) at the very least and possiby the remainder for another player with what's leftover (1.75 Mil) . We then take Miller and we combine him with Harrington and trade him for O'Neal, which you are allowed to do. I believe you have 24 hours to trade any players you acquire via trade elsewhere. This looks doable to me (not sure if I want to though). Maybe someone with more knowledge here could chip in (where's Gump when you need him?).
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#30 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Athough I'm not a Certified Capologist, this is legal. We are not trading the TPE for O'Neal, we are using it to acquire Miller (salary at 8.25 Mil) at the very least and possiby the remainder for another player with what's leftover (1.75 Mil) . We then take Miller and we combine him with Harrington and trade him for O'Neal, which you are allowed to do. I believe you have 24 hours to trade any players you acquire via trade elsewhere. This looks doable to me (not sure if I want to though). Maybe someone with more knowledge here could chip in (where's Gump when you need him?).

I think that's still prohibited IN COMBINATION with any other players. So yes, we can bounce Miller on in another 1 for 1 deal, but not as part of a package to match salaries with a more expensive player
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#31 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think that's still prohibited IN COMBINATION with any other players. So yes, we can bounce Miller on in another 1 for 1 deal, but not as part of a package to match salaries with a more expensive player

Yup. That's exactly what I explained earlier. It isn't that you can't get Miller for the TPE and then trade him, but if you do so, you can't combine him with other people, which we'd have to if the point was to get Jermaine.

dom80e
Analyst

Post#32 » by dom80e » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 pm

The 24 hour rule is false. There is no such rule. The media often talks about it, but what actually is happening is a trade is being altered before it is finalized.

There is no way to get O'neal using the TE. But as many have said, we could easily be part of a 3 or 4 team deal helping someone else take on big salary because of the TE.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#33 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Mostly I would see the TPE used along with a young prospect to acquire a higher-paid veteran player, or to absorb a "bad" contract to take on a really good player.

You can't combine the exception with another player to reach a total higher salary going out, but there are ways to use it creatively in separate transactions to accomplish something similar.
nbenmargi
Senior

Post#34 » by nbenmargi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm

It seems like the only way we could make this trade work is if Beans was involved. JO's salary is just too hefty to take on in the future. Monta is gonna command at least 10M in the offseason and Baron is already a 20M player.

On the other hand, I don't think we make the playoffs right now with our current roster. Given that Mullison seems to be in a win-now mode, I think some sort of deal is imminent.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#35 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 am

There's no law against paying the luxury tax you goobers.

It just means we HAVE to re-sign the pieces in place or make S&T's to keep the talent level up.

All being over the Lux tax does is take you out of the FA market (when's the last time we had a good FA signing?) and take money out of Cohan's pocket?

You get a shot at roster with BD, JO, Monta, Wright and Dre then you damn well better be willing to pay the Lux tax to keep it together or you don't deserve to owns an NBA franchise.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,787

Post#36 » by floppymoose » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:16 am

I'd rather give BW and AB the minutes (and dollars) that JO would get.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#37 » by -bob- » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:45 am

J.O.($19M+) makes so much you have to do a 4 for 1, 5 for 1 trade to get him without giving up Baron or Jack. The way the T.E. can be used here is to take back two or three or four players(D. Harrison, S.Williams, etc..) in a separate deal to even out the trade.
B-Diddy#1fan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#38 » by B-Diddy#1fan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 am

Should have kept Foyle instead of buying him out. His 8 million dollar contract would have made it work.

The Warriors should have used the trade exception in the beginning of the year to get an expiring contract so they can use it for situation like this one. If we had done that, we probably would have been the ones with Gasol and not the Lakers.
Abyss Impact
Banned User

Post#39 » by Abyss Impact » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:39 am

We need to get Jermaine... Too many west teams had made a move to get a solid big man, perhaps this or brand...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#40 » by TB » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:04 am

Abyss Impact wrote:We need to get Jermaine... Too many west teams had made a move to get a solid big man, perhaps this or brand...

we could do that... or we could realize that nothing we do is gonna make us compete with this ridiculously stacked western conference, save the money, fight for a playoff spot, hope to get hot in the playoffs like last year, and continue to build for the future while getting situated as a perennial playoff team. Our championship can only come after the suns/spurs/mavs fizzle out.

No team just bursts onto the scene and wins a title. We need to get comfortable with the playoffs for a few years... by that time, hopefully our youngins will be ready and we can compete with the lakers, blazers, jazz and hornets.

Return to Golden State Warriors