ImageImageImageImageImage

Celtics @ GSW 7:30 Game Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

zero
Junior
And1: 5

Post#481 » by zero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 am

i'm not really a fan of kawakami's, but i thought last night and even in the first quarter of the utah games were webber's best games. i don't expect him to be what he was when he was in sac. but he and andris had a couple of really nice plays. he's not costing us anything and he isn't messing up chemistry so i'm cool with him. as far as KG is concerned i agree with what floppy said. i also caught a part of the denver game the night before and KG looked WAAAAYYY better against us than he did against denver. KG is rusty and admitted that after the nuggets game. timmy needs to shut up. if he were on here he'd be on my ignore list.
Ben_Dover
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#482 » by Ben_Dover » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:22 am

510Reggae wrote:It's become trendy to pick on Tay's D... but people aren't watching the entire play, only the end :nonono:

it seems as if it's you who's not watching the entire play. how many games you been to this year? just curious.

i just call it as i see it and it wasn't only last nights game. IMHO he's been an average defender at best all season. anyways this doesn't mean i don't love the kid.
i know his D will pick up in time and like i said before. when it does, look out.

still Monta is one of my favorite players. i'm not trying to hate or pick on him. just sharing my honest opinion.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#483 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:07 am

I'm impressed with Webbers hands on the poet up D.

anything lateral and were in trouble, but what else is new.

It looked as though he was getting his wind back and I like the fact that Baron is getting more comfortable with him.

One guy who would really benefit from Webbers passing is Beans, so this injury stinks. At least it's not at the end of the year.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#484 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 am

Ben_Dover wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

it seems as if it's you who's not watching the entire play. how many games you been to this year? just curious.

i just call it as i see it and it wasn't only last nights game. IMHO he's been an average defender at best all season. anyways this doesn't mean i don't love the kid.
i know his D will pick up in time and like i said before. when it does, look out.

still Monta is one of my favorite players. i'm not trying to hate or pick on him. just sharing my honest opinion.

No sir... when my fave players are on the court, I rip them and praise them more than anyone, because I focus on them. Especially with Tay, since so many people seem to agree he sucks on D, I focus specifically on him... and I've never seen so many people flock to a bad rep before.

Flop noticed something that I've been saying for a while - Webber is brutal on PnR and teams are focusing in on that. They of course, are picking on Monta, as Baron can plow right through screens and Tay cannot. Does that make Tay a bad defender? How? He goes over screens when he can, but now teams are setting high screens so he can't do it, he has to go under, and there's no big man help contesting the shot. The only big man that does it consistently is Biedrins... and he is rarely the guy guarding the screener.

Then Nellie sticks the kid on Ray Allen when his best aspect is to create steals... he guarded Rondo/Posey/House in the 2nd half and I can count on a closed fist how many open looks those 3 got in the 2nd half...

I'm not saying he's a great defender, as he often times got caught thinking between playing help D or guarding Allen's 3 ball, but he's becoming the scapegoat for our poor defense when its really our 3/4 combo thats really screwing us. Barnes is brutal as the screeners' man... Webber is just as bad. Al is hit or miss... Pietrus and Beans are both good @ it.
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#485 » by rutheredfox » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:45 am

i know webber's lateral D's horrible, but how many centers in the league have good lateral defense? come on now.... we can't expect that much out of webber. i'm fine playing him against guys like kg, and playing high post on the offensive end. i also think webber should only be in when biedrins is in.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#486 » by floppymoose » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:51 am

rutheredfox wrote:i know webber's lateral D's horrible, but how many centers in the league have good lateral defense? come on now.... we can't expect that much out of webber. i'm fine playing him against guys like kg, and playing high post on the offensive end. i also think webber should only be in when biedrins is in.

Here's the problem with that philosophy: Our team defense is built on switching, and trusting that the other defender has what it takes to slow down the guy he got switched onto. Not many teams can do that, and it's a huge advantage for us. Yes our defense is not very good, but it's a lot better than it would be if we had a slow center.

When we trot Webber out there, that breaks. It's what I was worried about when I called the idea pretty crazy before he signed. Now that he's here, I'm cheering for him and I hope it will work. But if it works it's going to be in spite of breaking our pick-and-roll defense.

Return to Golden State Warriors