ImageImageImageImageImage

Why all the hate for Stephen Jackson?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Why all the hate for Stephen Jackson? 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I liked Jax better than Baron because he still played D to a degree... Baron was absolutely pathetic in the second half...

Barons # are going to look better because Bad Baron > Bad Jack... but who was hurting the team more? Baron not guarding the point and taking 4 more shots per game, or Jax not guarding the wing as well (he wasnt nearly as abysmal as Baron was) and taking a more 3pter per game?

One was supposed to be the franchise leader, one is an an emotional energy player... that all seems obvious to me... the guy handling the ball sets the tempo of the game, and thats the kind of tempo Baron set - if you see the rim, shoot.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#22 » by FNQ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Abyss Impact wrote:Jackson plays defense? Since when? Most of the time he doesn't even put a hand up when they take a pull up jump shot. If your going to say we lacked in toughness, energy heart, rebounds ,and BLOCK SHOTS, we should of just kept Mickael Pietrus.

Pietrus plays for the Magic... but I do agree his energy heart is much greater than anyone else's I know, I guess.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Post#23 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:51 pm

I appreciate what Jackson brought, but if this team wanted to do a total rebuild that included being a 20 win team that gets high lottery picks then it would be a mistake to keep Jackson if he could be traded for anything that might be useful 4 years from now. Of course if the plan is to do a major rebuild then Warriors probably should not have signed Maggette.

If the plan is to compete for the 8th seed the Warriors better understand that Maggette, Turiaf and improvements in Monta, Wright, Biedrins and Belinelli probably won't make the team a better team than they were last year with Baron, Barnes and Pietrus.

Jackson is good but is not on the same level as Baron Davis who was the Warrior's best player. The slow start was not just because Jackson was not there.
ajbry
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#24 » by ajbry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Warriorfan wrote:What Jackson does on the court will be greater appreciated when he contributes to another Championship team. When he is our 2nd best options his flaws are more exposed if he was our 4th he would be a great team player.

He was the 3rd option on the championship Spurs team - and that was only in his 2nd full NBA season really (01-02 was a wash due to injuries and the Spurs rotation sealing him out). He carried the 04-05 Pacers to the playoffs to the tune of 22 PPG while JO was battling injuries and Artest was obviously out of action... and then led them in scoring in the playoffs.

I hope Jack isn't moved. Bringing in Maggette is - quite simply - not a move geared towards rebuilding. Not even close. Harrington will be traded but everyone is succinctly aware of that anyway (and he probably would've been dealt regardless of what transpired with BD).

If Mullin actually moves Jack, I can't imagine Nellie being happy about it.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#25 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 am

Jackson is still very much needed for the short term here for a number of reasons however he may have to be moved at the end of this campaign while his value is still going to bring something back in return. ajbry is right though, I think it's pretty important to move Al now for both parties.
evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#26 » by evildallas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 am

Well the obvious joke is that he shot at me.

In all truthfulness, I don't think you can get equal value for what Jackson provides on the court. He's a big time player and a tough matchup. I think some people suggest trades because they see the addition of Maggette and question where Jackson will play. I don't unless there is another deal to land a starting PG and I don't think that's necessary. I like the idea of Ellis at PG with Jackson in the back court with him and Maggette at the 3. Monta doesn't have to be a perfect PG in that scenario because he has the speed to break down the defense that is uncheckable within today's rules.

Some others may question how happy Jackson will be with the changing of the personnel. I have more faith in Jackson than that. I don't recall him ever becoming the discontented teammate (even in Atlanta). His only missteps occurred with off the court issues. He's handled different roles on the court without forcing trades.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,815

Post#27 » by floppymoose » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 am

Why is an nba finals team trading away their starting SF again????
And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by And 1 Amare » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 am

Don Nelson would love 12 Stephen Jacksons on his team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Post#29 » by Thugleavy34 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Pietrus' energy heart is pretty good, but he needs some daily vitamin heart, in my opinion. Judging from his injuries particularly to his vagee, he needs some calcium heart as well. But on a good note his soy protein heart seems to be strong, and when he dunks on people or swats them away it's clear his fiber heart is good to go.

Return to Golden State Warriors