Opinions on current warriors roster

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Re: Opinions on current warriors roster 

Post#41 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:26 am

ROWELL wrote:Reg, get this right:

Brandon Roy will NEVER be a member of the Warriors.

Never. Ever. Ever. Ever.

So if that's your wad for hating all of the signings now because they might infringe upon signing the only franchize-ish player you approve of in future FA years, time to move on.

I like Brandon Roy but if were going to pay a player of that type big money I'd rather we go after J Johnson to play a big PG/SG next to Monta.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#42 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 am

I'd rather go with Randolph
Coxy
RealGM

Post#43 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:56 am

Hey Sid, Are you sleeping with AR?
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#44 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 am

OK here's my 1st rotation prediction...

Biedrins/Turiaf/Wright/Randolph/Bubba Gump/Harrington/Perovic
Harrington/Wright/Randolph/Horror Story/Turiaf
Maggette/Jackson/Randolph/Horror Story
Ellis/Jackson/Belinelli
Randolph/Ellis/Williams/Belinelli/CJ Disaster

There's going to be some pissed of players at the end of October.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#45 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 am

Sid the Squid wrote:OK here's my 1st rotation prediction...

Biedrins/Turiaf/Wright/Randolph/Bubba Gump/Harrington/Perovic
Harrington/Wright/Randolph/Horror Story/Turiaf
Maggette/Jackson/Randolph/Horror Story
Ellis/Jackson/Belinelli
Randolph/Ellis/Williams/Belinelli/CJ Disaster

There's going to be some pissed of players at the end of October.

Boy i'm glad your not the coach Sid.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#46 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:05 am

Like it a lot! Super deep. Let's run run run. Promising youth, some good vets not yet over the hill. A manageable cap situation.

The only thing I worry about is if Monta is a downgrade when playing the one vs. the two.

I'll predict 45 wins, maybe even a playoff birth.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#47 » by FNQ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:44 am

apcoxy wrote:
I like Brandon Roy but if were going to pay a player of that type big money I'd rather we go after J Johnson to play a big PG/SG next to Monta.

Another great option we could have explored... Roy is my personal favorite, but over the next 2 years, there will be a lot of great options available...
Coxy
RealGM

Post#48 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:48 am

510Reggae wrote:
apcoxy wrote:

Another great option we could have explored... Roy is my personal favorite, but over the next 2 years, there will be a lot of great options available...

AR might end up with some heavy ball handling duties Pippen like so we might not even need to look there yet.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#49 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:11 am

Randolph may pass Wright in the rotation at PF because Nellie loves him. With Jax and Maggette logging heavy minutes, then Randolph will take some of Wrights so that he can get AR on the floor.

Wright has to come out prepared and show us the potential he showed in flashes last year. He can do that, but he better bring it right away because Randolph aint messing around. He'll play and his minutes will increase as the year continues.

He's our future go to guy, so as long as we still have Jax on the roster Randolph is gonna steal someone elses minutes.

I see Hendrix and morrow starting the year in the D-league. Jimmie will get his call-ups when the Utah type teams are on the horizon. We'll need that banging from him and Turiaf.

Williams takes all of the back-up PG minutes, but he won't be starting anytime soon unless we deal Jax. Good for Marcus so that he can play freely without to much pressure early on.

I doubt Belli plays much at all and by mid-season he'll be longing for Italy again.

Nellie has to be loving the idea of all the different matchups he has now.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#50 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am

I think a good team should only have 9 players in their regular rotation...these are the 9

Ellis
Randolph
Biedrins
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Turiaf
Wright
? Azubuike? Belli? Williams?

Bubba Gump lost any chance of PT with Turiaf's signing

Morrow and CJ Disaster have no shot unless there's injuries

Kosta could play at Milwaukee.

THIS HAS TO BE THE END OF SMALLBALL.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#51 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am

This team will give rival coaches headaches in the future with Randolph, Monta, Jax, Turiaf, Maggette all possessing unique abilities.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:27 am

Sid the Squid wrote:I think a good team should only have 9 players in their regular rotation...these are the 9

Ellis
Randolph
Biedrins
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Turiaf
Wright
? Azubuike? Belli? Williams?

Bubba Gump lost any chance of PT with Turiaf's signing

Morrow and CJ Disaster have no shot unless there's injuries

Kosta could play at Milwaukee.

THIS HAS TO BE THE END OF SMALLBALL.

I think Marcus has to play based on his pure PG ability. Azu will play more than some based on Nellie knows his game.

The sooner we trade Al the sooner we can get on with our young bigs taking over.

Wright better get the fire going. He can be special too, he's just not the confident bastard that Tony is.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#53 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:28 am

Exactly, end of smallball. This is the thing I didn't understand why some of you weren't more ecstatic about when Maggette signed. The writing was on the wall.

There will of course still be a number of different starting lineups, and no doubt there will be times we see Monta and CJ in the backcourt and Randolph at the five. But those times will be the exceptions rather than the rule.

I never believed smallball was Nellie's preferable way of operating, rather that he just wants to get his best players out there. In the past, our best players were smalls, but now we've got a wealth of intriguing, athletic, long players.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#54 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:43 am

Seriously if I could fast forward a few months some how I would so the season can start.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#55 » by migya » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 pm

AS deep as the team SEEMS to be, Nelson will likely go with an 8 man rotation and play the rest of the guys sparingly.

I see it like this:
Monta - 38mins
SJackson - 35mins
Maggette - 35mins
Harrington - 33mins
Biedrins - 32mins
Turiaf - 25mins
Azu - 20mins
MWilliams - 10mins
BWright - 8mins
Randolph - 5mins
Belinelli - 3mins
CJWatson/Hendrix/Kosta - 3mins

This is barring any more trades, so roster stays as is. Really don't see Nelson finally playing BWright, though he should, at least early on to see if he can get some confidence and momentum going. Maybe Harrington plays a little less but that is only if BWright and/or Randolph play well in the minutes they get early in the season. This team is very young and inexperienced and Nelson will likely go with the guys that are proven players much more
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#56 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Exactly, end of smallball. This is the thing I didn't understand why some of you weren't more ecstatic about when Maggette signed. The writing was on the wall.

The maggs signing impacts Nellie's propensity to go small?

The criticism of smallball had very little to do with the size of the guards or the wings. The issue was the size of the people being used as bigs. Maggs is quite similar to the rebounding friendly guard sized non-playmakers that Nellie has shoehorned into the 4 spot.

Maggette was aquired primarily as a stand in for Baron's point production because the Belly thing isn't comming around. His aquisiton has very little to do wtih weather or not we play small going forward.

Drafting Randolph and Hendrix and signing Turiaf are the BIG positive indicators of us going bigger in the future. Maggette has very little to do with our frontcourt options. I'm not sure how the two are related.

Randolph changes everything. He's more of a 2 than Maggs is. Heck, Maggs can play the 4 for all I care if Dre and Randy are on the floor with him.
GSW2K4
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#57 » by GSW2K4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:25 pm

migya wrote:AS deep as the team SEEMS to be, Nelson will likely go with an 8 man rotation and play the rest of the guys sparingly.

I see it like this:
Monta - 38mins
SJackson - 35mins
Maggette - 35mins
Harrington - 33mins
Biedrins - 32mins
Turiaf - 25mins
Azu - 20mins
MWilliams - 10mins
BWright - 8mins
Randolph - 5mins
Belinelli - 3mins
CJWatson/Hendrix/Kosta - 3mins

I think Migya highlights an important point here -- this roster is not set up to rigidly plug players in at specific positions, but for the sake of flexibility within a likely short 8-9 man rotation, with others coming in solely to keep guys fresh. (Although, given the stated youth movement, I imagine Wright/Beli will play more than Migya suggests)

Within that 8-9 player rotation, we have a ton of combinations that probably have Nellie salivating. This is not the end of small ball by any stretch of the imagination -- Williams will probably play next to Ellis occasionally and SJax will probably slide over to the 3 at times. Harrington will probably play 4 and 5 again. Ditto for Turiaf, who will probably prove to be more effective than Harrington at the 4/5 and play more minutes next to Biedrins. Occasionally, we may play big and stick Maggette at the two, especially if Randolph emerges and shows he can take significant mins at the 3.

Nellie is a guy who likes to manipulate matchups, so our opinions about which combinations are optimal or who we don't like are somewhat irrelevant because Nellie is going to use these guys in different ways depending on the matchups or the need to give guys rest. It's been acknowledged that they ran out of gas last year, so having guys that can be relied upon to give starters a rest was probably a focal point this off-season.

So, for example, to complain about Azu's inability to play the 2 is rather pointless -- we're probably not even relying on him to do anything other than give guys an extended rest. He'll be fine doing that and will not hurt us too much. Plus he knows the system, plays hard, and is still developing.

And I know this is just a forum so people often have little desire to be bothered with facts, but Azu did play the 2 for us last season... but he played the 3 more effectively. He is a below average 2 and 4 but about average as a 3. Those numbers can be found here: http://www.82games.com/0708/07GSW6C.HTM . So, he's not really a huge liability or huge asset because he's not going to play many minutes anyway...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:46 pm

Posted this last week in another thread, but this is what Nellie's thinking about while sitting on the beach:

Main Starting five:
Tay
Maggs
Jax
Al
Beans

Other scenarios throughout the game and the season:
Tay
Williams
Randolph
Wright
Beans

Williams
Maggs
Jax
Randolph
Turiaf

Tay
Jax
Randolph
Wright
Beans

Williams
Maggs
Randolph
Turiaf
Beans

Tay
Azu
Randolph
Wright
Beans

Tay
Jax
Randolph
Wright
Beans

Randolph
Jax
Mags
Turiaf
Beans

It never ends. So many options.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GSW2K4
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#59 » by GSW2K4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Other scenarios throughout the game and the season:
Tay
Williams
Randolph
Wright
Beans

If Williams, Randolph, and Wright pan out -- even as average players -- that could be an amazing lineup in the future...

Imagine trying to beat that zone with length and shot blocking down low and Monta/Williams playing the passing lanes... beautiful...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Post#60 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 1, 2008 7:03 am

Williams is going to have to show me something before I count on him in the rotation. I'm keeping my expectations low for now. Troy Hudson/CJ Watson low.

Return to Golden State Warriors