Bryant 19.9 ppg
Ellis 20.2 ppg

Bryant 5.3 rebs
Ellis 5.0 rebs

Bryant 3.8 ass
Ellis 3.9 ass

Bryant 46.5% fg
Ellis 53.1% fg

BTW..Monta's #'s were better than Kobe's in year 1 and 2.

Ellis will never be anywhere close to the defender Kobe once was..That's a total mismatch...But offensively? This kid we just locked up for 6 years is D Y N O M I T E !!
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Re: Monta - Kobe comparison..The 3rd year out of high school 

Post#2 » by floppymoose » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:22 pm

How much older is year 3 Monta than year 3 Kobe?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Probably a year..but Monta grew up in friggen Mississippi..We'll call the age edge to Monta and the basketball enviroment edge to Kobe.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#4 » by Coxy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:06 am

The size tips it every time. Monta's a SG in a PG's body and Kobe's a SG in a SF's body. Monta is no Kobe and Kobe is no Monta.
And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by And 1 Amare » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 am

I see Monta as a more athletic version of Tony Parker. He can score better than Parker too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#6 » by KR4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:36 am

Sid, you've changed man...you've changed. You used to be Chicken Littlesque. It'll take a sec to get used to.

Crazy numbers though.
Leeeee's Nuts!
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#7 » by Coxy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:49 am

And 1 Amare wrote:I see Monta as a more athletic version of Tony Parker. He can score better than Parker too.

That's sounds about as close a comparison as you can make. However Parkers success has come aboutwith the help of handy PF in Timmy D
Yi Jian Lian
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Yi Jian Lian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:56 am

apcoxy wrote:The size tips it every time. Monta's a SG in a PG's body and Kobe's a SG in a SF's body. Monta is no Kobe and Kobe is no Monta.

Kobe has the size of a shooting guard. I think the prototypical small forward height should be at least 6' 8".
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#9 » by BROWN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 am

Don't get ahead of yourself now Sid, You don't want to jinx the man. Anyways the numbers look similar, but it ain't always about the numbers my man.
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#10 » by KR4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Yi Jian Lian wrote:
apcoxy wrote:The size tips it every time. Monta's a SG in a PG's body and Kobe's a SG in a SF's body. Monta is no Kobe and Kobe is no Monta.

Kobe has the size of a shooting guard. I think the prototypical small forward height should be at least 6' 8".

Yi, I think Kobe's 6'8''
Leeeee's Nuts!
Za_Warrior
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Za_Warrior » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:27 pm

There are many ways that you can't compare the two, guys, but to me these stats are still a very positive sign of the young guys potential and exactly as Sid said, it shows what kind of an offensive weapon he can be, now I just want to see an 80 point game from Monta :)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Kobe is 6'6 or 6'7, not 6'8, but he has the bulk and athleticism to match most non-Lebron small forwards.

To the OP (who sagely notes that the comparison is not direct but rather merely an indicator of strong promise from Monta), nice little piece; it's illustrative of the fact that Monta is moving along at a fine clip, doing very good things.

To the rest: we know that Monta will not be as physical as Kobe, will never be a dominant DrawF guy because of his sleight frame (not without risking Iverson-style repetitive injuries and such).

He is still a clever mid-range scorer with as-yet-to-be-determined potential as a point guard and ball-handler. We know he's got an excellent off-ball game and in-motion attack and an extremely efficient mid-range jumper... and we know he doesn't kill ball movement or do a lot of over-dribbling. We know he's 22 (going on 23; he was 2 years older than Kobe when he first hit the league) and that means he's got basically an entire career's worth of potential in front of him, including some further physical development.

As far as the Parker comparisons go... Parker makes more forays all the way to the rim and works on-ball a little more. He's also an inch or two shorter, as I recall, and plays more regularly in the pick-and-roll with Duncan (with whom he has had the pleasure of playing his entire career to date).

Monta's much more of a shooter than Tony (who took a long time to develop his jumper... though his development of a 3pt shot is actually quite encouraging for the prospects of Monta doing the same... is there someone of Chip Engelland's quality as a shooting coach on the Warriors payroll?).
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#13 » by floppymoose » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:11 pm

There may also be some pace inflation of Monta's stats vs Kobe.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#14 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm

And some chucking deflation.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#15 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:30 pm

"After being treated for a kidney stone, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said "When the anesthesiologist leaned over me, he said "We named your kidney stone Kobe because it's not passing." "

Monta > Kobe because he's not a dickbag.

If you haven't read the Sham quotes page it's worth a few minutes. Great stuff here.
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... quotes.jsp
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#16 » by floppymoose » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."

- Jerome James, on Nate McMillan's comments about players on Seattle being selfish.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#17 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:05 pm

"Tim Thomas is about excuses. It's always somebody else's fault. He said I was jealous? He should thank me for helping him get that contract. He said I didn't show? They traded me, they traded Ray, they traded Big Dog [Robinson] and Tim Thomas still wasn't the man on that team. Michael Redd became the man there. I think I'm doing quite well for myself here. Right now, he needs to focus on his game. Right now, he's not a good basketball player. And I like Tim Thomas. He just has too many damn excuses."

- Sam Cassell.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#18 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 pm

"It will work out, somehow. That's a hell of a duo right there, Marbury, Crawford and Houston."

-Carmelo Anthony on the future of the 04-05 knicks
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#19 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 1, 2008 10:20 am

"I suck"

-Pat Burke
Sleepy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 68
Location: The Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt.

Post#20 » by Sleepy » Fri Aug 1, 2008 11:34 am

"It's beyond explanation. It's mind -boggling. There are some things you can't understand - the Kennedy assassination, where the aliens are hiding and our ups and downs. Oh, and Stonehenge."

- Troy Murphy, on Golden State's inconsistency.

"Nothing. I was confused for two years. I didn't understand anything and I'm still confused."

- Gregg Popovich, on what he learned in his two years as an assistant to Don Nelson.

"To make that type of analogy actually just shows stupidity. You've got to realize, this is the same guy who said he wanted to play in Madison Square Garden because of the aroma. He meant 'aura' but he said 'aroma.' So you've got to put everything in perspective."

- Flip Saunders, on Stephon Marbury saying that Amare Stoudemire is better than Kevin Garnett.

:lol: :lol:

"The one thing I've noticed about our new uniforms is the players aren't complaining too much. If they're happy, we're happy. Even Stephen Jackson looks good."

- Larry Bird on the Pacers' new uniforms

8-)

Return to Golden State Warriors