ImageImageImageImageImage

POB working out with Clifford Ray

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: POB working out with Clifford Ray 

Post#321 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Oct 2, 2008 4:39 pm

Patrick O'Bryant - Biedrins - Randolph would of been a special frontline.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#322 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:02 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:These are the guys I know of that Clifford Ray has worked 1 on 1 with in the NBA.
Biedrins
Dwight Howard
Al Jefferson
Perkins
Ryan Gomes
Powe
Big Baby
and now..
Patrick O'Bryant

Gomes, Powe, and Big Baby are all second round picks who are locks to stick in the league despite having height issues. Perkins was a late first round pick out of high school and and it took nearly 3 years before he was good enough to see the court, his sudden improvement coincided with the arrival of Clifford Ray.

I have a good amount of confidence that Cliff can work at least a little magic with O'Bryant and get him shaped up into a quality backup. Atm, he's the only 7 footer we have on the team and Perkins is recovering from shoulder surgery, so he might see a lot of minutes in preseason.
It's only the 2nd practice & this is what Doc had to say:
Rivers said he was impressed with Patrick O'Bryant's effort today, and for the second straight day while Kendrick Perkins is unavailable for contact, O'Bryant got the nod with the first unit.

"Patrick had a hell of a practice. He was great today," Rivers said, noting that if he figures out how to play alongside Garnett, "things could be pretty good for him."

He may be trying to boost POB's confidence a little bit as coaches often do, but KG also echoed Rivers sentiments in his own interview so it's not 100% fluff.

The coach around here doesn't believe in that approach. He's more into undressing a guy in front of everyone and not giving any props except an occasional nice thing to say to reporters.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#323 » by turk3d » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:13 pm

Yeah. Like when how he said he wouldn't mind going out to dinner with OBEE (doesn't sound like a guy with a "bad attitude" to me). He never said anything about going out to dinner with Jack.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#324 » by St.Nick » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:46 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:These are the guys I know of that Clifford Ray has worked 1 on 1 with in the NBA.
Biedrins
Dwight Howard
Al Jefferson
Perkins
Ryan Gomes
Powe
Big Baby
and now..
Patrick O'Bryant

He never worked with Biedrins. He left the Warriors in 2003, Biedrins was drafted in 2004.

BTW, Dwight Howard, Ryan Gomes, and Perkins have little to no offensive game and Big Baby is insignificant.

Here is a more complete list of players that he worked with:

In his post-playing career, Ray has mentored many NBA big men, most notably Chris Webber and Ben Wallace. He has also worked with Roy Tarpley, Jayson Williams, Eric Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Etan Thomas, Marc Jackson, DeSagana Diop, Al Jefferson, Mario Kasun, and Michael Bradley.

The guy is not a miracle worker. POB has more of a chance of becoming the next Michael Bradley than the next Al Jefferson.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#325 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:55 pm

If Nellie had put the effort in, Pat could of been a 18-11-4-3 center..Nellie ruined the kid..Hopefully he can bounce back and produce decently for the C's.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#326 » by old rem » Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:31 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:If Nellie had put the effort in, Pat could of been a 18-11-4-3 center..Nellie ruined the kid..Hopefully he can bounce back and produce decently for the C's.

He does not seem to have that sort of talent,but it's been Top Secret what talent is there. He may be quite able to avg 12-13,with 8-9 rbd,a couple of blocks. 18/11....jeez...that's All star stuff. POB only becomes an All Star if Boston hires Yoda as big man coach. Trust the force,you will,Cheesecake man. :starwars
CENSORED... No comment.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#327 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 3, 2008 4:02 pm

St.Nick wrote:
Biedrins
Dwight Howard
Al Jefferson
Perkins
Ryan Gomes
Powe
Big Baby
and now..
Patrick O'Bryant

He never worked with Biedrins. He left the Warriors in 2003, Biedrins was drafted in 2004.

BTW, Dwight Howard, Ryan Gomes, and Perkins have little to no offensive game and Big Baby is insignificant.

Here is a more complete list of players that he worked with:

In his post-playing career, Ray has mentored many NBA big men, most notably Chris Webber and Ben Wallace. He has also worked with Roy Tarpley, Jayson Williams, Eric Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Etan Thomas, Marc Jackson, DeSagana Diop, Al Jefferson, Mario Kasun, and Michael Bradley.

The guy is not a miracle worker. POB has more of a chance of becoming the next Michael Bradley than the next Al Jefferson.

Ryan Gomes has little to no offensive game?

Wow dude you just keep putting your foot in your mouth. Admit you don't watch many games, please, just once admit it.

Gomes can go inside or out. He can play 3 or 4. At 6'7" 240 he can post up or drain the midrange. He can run some and is nifty inside.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#328 » by St.Nick » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:01 pm

I was talking about inside game. We are talking about Clifford Ray and post play, right? Why would I care about Ryan Gomes outside scoring abilities?

Use some context, parrot.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#329 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:07 pm

old rem wrote:
Sid the Squid wrote:If Nellie had put the effort in, Pat could of been a 18-11-4-3 center..Nellie ruined the kid..Hopefully he can bounce back and produce decently for the C's.

He does not seem to have that sort of talent,but it's been Top Secret what talent is there. He may be quite able to avg 12-13,with 8-9 rbd,a couple of blocks. 18/11....jeez...that's All star stuff. POB only becomes an All Star if Boston hires Yoda as big man coach. Trust the force,you will,Cheesecake man. :starwars

Yeah, I'm not sure about the double-double, and the Celtics aren't even looking for POB to average something more reasonable, like 12 and 9...Our starting center only averaged 7 and 6. From a backup center, we only need about the same per minute production and a guy who can be consistent interior defender. POB just has to play his role in the system and not try to play outside of his strengths. It should be a much easier assignment for him than what he had in GS, where offense was the big thing, and he was given the ball 16 feet from the basket and told to go to work. In Boston, he'll probably only get shots when he's wide open and deep in the paint, and the coaching staff will be most focused on how he does defensively. Additionally, he shouldn't feel the pressure of being a top 10 pick.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#330 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:36 pm

St.Nick wrote:I was talking about inside game. We are talking about Clifford Ray and post play, right? Why would I care about Ryan Gomes outside scoring abilities?

I believe I stated that he can inside or out. He posts up. That's context. And i would bet that Ray value's an outside shot for the big guys he works with as long as it fits them. Unless you think Clifford Ray is single minded and doesn't appreciate the outside aspect of certain players even though as a player he was predominantly inside only.

Parrot? You've said this on several occasions now. you ignore that whole post I put up and then you use the word context and throw out an insult. Nice.
Khoee wrote “
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#331 » by turk3d » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:37 pm

Wouldn't it be something if he winds up the starter for a while if Perk isn't ready by opening day? At the very least (if he keeps working hard at it which he seems to be doing) he can be the backup Center for the World Champs when he couldn't even get out of the D league with us. What a difference a coaching staff and a good Front Office makes. Maybe the breaks will finally go his way this year after the last two years of being treated like poo while with us.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#332 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:58 pm

This is the fundamental reason Nellie never got a ring... inflexibility. A basketball coach that doesn't get excited about the pure physicals of POB? I still can't get over that...

The Celtics aren't exactly the FO standard either... Ainge is a moron... the Celtics are a simple team, a simple coach, a simple GM, and they just got really, really lucky with one offseason. But they saw a potential laden C who was given little chance due to inflexibility, scooped him up w/a multiyear deal, and it sounds like they will actually play him.

He could suck all season... if he shows enough improvement to get his contract option picked up, we completely failed... the fact we didnt get any value, on court or via trade, is already a massive failure for the #9 pick.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#333 » by St.Nick » Fri Oct 3, 2008 7:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
St.Nick wrote:I was talking about inside game. We are talking about Clifford Ray and post play, right? Why would I care about Ryan Gomes outside scoring abilities?

I believe I stated that he can inside or out. He posts up. That's context. And i would bet that Ray value's an outside shot for the big guys he works with as long as it fits them. Unless you think Clifford Ray is single minded and doesn't appreciate the outside aspect of certain players even though as a player he was predominantly inside only.

Parrot? You've said this on several occasions now. you ignore that whole post I put up and then you use the word context and throw out an insult. Nice.

Were you the first person to say "Moncrief was Jax with a brain?"
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#334 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 3, 2008 11:53 pm

St.Nick wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Were you the first person to say "Moncrief was Jax with a brain?"

I had never written it or read it prior to my posting it Mrs. Speaker.
Khoee wrote “
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#335 » by St.Nick » Sat Oct 4, 2008 12:39 am

Hmm....could have sworn that Sid had it in his handle for quite a while. Pretty sure of it actually.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#336 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Oct 4, 2008 3:27 am

Clifford Ray has worked with probably the majority of young big men in the League in recent years through his big man camp.

Ainge or maybe it was Doc was saying Perk would be ready to go by the 1st exhibition game, but I for one hope he's down for a bit longer, just so we can see Patrick get some real run (or not, which would be telling, too) so we can put these fantasies to rest.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#337 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 4:20 am

St.Nick wrote:Hmm....could have sworn that Sid had it in his handle for quite a while. Pretty sure of it actually.

first of all Sid went from POB/Robert Parish to his current Randolph piece.

Are you saying I'm parroting Sid? If so I take that as a compliment, but i'm not as funny as he is.

so I better brush up on my Sidism's so that I don't disrespect him........What a joke!
Khoee wrote “
gswlego
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#338 » by gswlego » Mon Oct 6, 2008 5:07 am

any of you watch Celtics' training camp on NBATV? POB got the hook shot and post up moves.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#339 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Oct 6, 2008 2:22 pm

POB has it all, except the heart and desire.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#340 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Oct 6, 2008 5:09 pm

I think I see what our problem was with Patrick...

Rivers on 7-footer Patrick O’Bryant: “Patrick’s really good so far as long as he plays with the starters, and he struggles when he’s not. Honestly that’s probably with everybody, but especially at that position because you play alongside Kevin (Garnett). When Patrick plays alongside Kevin, it really makes him good because of his length.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/bas ... ition=also

We should have started him.

Oh, and gotten KG.

Return to Golden State Warriors