Amare, anyone?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Re: Amare, anyone? 

Post#161 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 pm

apcoxy wrote:Portland have offered Aldridge, Bayless and Raef's 12.5 million expiring contract. Amare goes to Portland as no other team can match anything near that sort of salary relief + young talent package at all.

Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and Amare Stoudemire. Oh crap.

I had a similar thought, that if Portland is really offering that, it will be very difficult for teams to compete with an offer like that, and it would seem like a clear and distinct upgrade for Portland. If they're offering that, I would guess the discussion is over. Put it this way: I don't want to try to outbid that. If we outbid that, it likely means we did something stupid.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Carl_Monday
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#162 » by Carl_Monday » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:19 am

Having read through various Amare posts in the Phoenix and Trade Board forums, here's what others have said (of course it could all be BS, but just take it with a grain of salt).

- Amare wants to sign a 3-year extension with whatever team he gets traded to. Because of his past microfracture surgery, there's a big issue with getting the contact insured, so a lot of teams are balking at that. (Makes sense)

- Sounds like the report of LA, Bayless, and Raef is a load of crap. Again, makes sense, because that's way too good of an offer, and goes against Prichard's MO as of late. Supposedly it was Diogu instead of LA.

- Most NBA writers seem to confirm what everyone suspects, that the primary driving force behind this move is financial. Sarver is going to shave $10 mil off of next year's payroll. They'll try to get back as much positive value as possible, but that's the constraint that Kerr is dealing with and everyone knows it, so Phoenix is getting low-balled. Get ready for another Gasol type deal.

*Edited for spelling because me fail English.
BeRight32
Banned User

Post#163 » by BeRight32 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:43 am

We should be able to get Amare for

Marcus Williams

Brandan Wright

Jamal Crawford

Our first Round pick (top 3 protected)

Phoenix gets Williams who is an expiring; Wright who is a young big; And Crawford who may be a good fit with Nash* and may also opt out.
*He has never played with a pass first PG

Giving up our pick (top 3 protected) will be ok because this isn't even a deep draft.

Im gonna post it on the trade board

Griffin
Thabeet
???
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#164 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 am

The (Please Use More Appropriate Word) with another 6reb and 0ass game for Phoenix.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#165 » by Commodor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 am

forget amare and bosh, clean house, trade wright belenelli maggette 1st round, get al jefferson. send crawford randolph and williams future pick, get mayo/rose/beasley. plus the fillers for both trades.

mayo
ellis
jackson
jefferson
biedrins

buike
turiaf
watson
morrow
whatever fillers we get

wont win it next year, but we'll b in the playoffs

...and then i wake up
amarejay
Ballboy

Post#166 » by amarejay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:33 am

Amare is my favorite non-Warrior player, so I'd love to have him. I doubt Phoenix will trade him in the West, let alone in their own division. I see Amare going to the Bulls to be honest. Amare would be the perfect fit here though.

We can only hope.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#167 » by old rem » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 am

shrink wrote:I've read the last few pages, and a couple comments:

1. I don't think you guys consider Amare without an extension, so him walking in 2010 is kind of a moot point. Unlike Chris Bosh, Amare can sign an extension now. Signing bosh would be too big a risk of him bolting.

2. I just stopped by to mention that you might want to throw Biedrins at MIN in a three-team deal for Amare. MIN would probably pay top dollar, and they have $10 mil in expirings that the cheap Sarver would embrace. They also have Mike Miller on a 2-year deal, which would expire along with Shaq and Nash to help placate fans a bit in a deal.

3. What's your read on Barbosa? Will Sarver insist on moving his four year deal with Amare, or because he's a pretty solid player and the pricetag isn't too offensive, will he want to keep the young player.

4. You can match salary without using Maggette or your other big contracts, but it'd take a bunch of your role players.

I LIKE some of our "role" players..who are our AFFORDABLE guys if we are gonna give Amare more than $20 mill in an S +T. If we did that..Suns get something like Jack, Crawford, Wright,Belinneli and we probably get a scrub mostly to balance rosters. Biedrins is younger, cheaper, faster, more durable,better rebounder and better D. Even signed...Amare costing 2X more is major.

Amare re-upped to the probable Max of about $20 mill can't be had WITHOUT us including ANY large contracts. Add another $6 mill + for Barbosa and it's an even bigger problem. GSW can't pay Amare $20 mill AND pay 5 other players almost $10 mill each. We ain't the Knicks.
Frankly, I'd deal for a mid -level banger like Collison and try getting a rebounder in the draft,Jason Hill, D Blair,T Hansborough, A Nivins, being possible. Except Hill, the others can be had in a trade down...which is a plus.
CENSORED... No comment.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#168 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:32 am

The great Pat Riley is the latest to be leading the get Amare pack. What?! Pat Riley? Sleepy is rolling over in his grave.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#169 » by giberish » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 am

Financially, GS trading for Amare just doesn't work.

Phoenix wants to lose $7-10M from their 09-10 payroll to get under the luxury tax(and preferrably some from this year as well).

GS has 5 big(ish) contracts - at least one of which would have to be involved to match salaries. Crawford, Jackson and Maggs all have extra years on their contracts - Phoenix wouldn't want them. GS would have to find a 3rd team to exchange one for an EC. But with the current financial climate, a lot of teams are looking to lose payroll and trade multi-year deals for EC's. The Warriors would have to add incentive for the 3rd team, in addition to the young players/draft picks they send to Phoenix. That gets way too costly in terms of talent.

As for Monta and Andris, they're both BYC. That means that it's difficult to make a trade with them in general, and for one to work under the CBA GS takes back less salary than they give out. This means that Phoenix would take back more salary then they give out in a deal. That's just not going to happen, regaurdless of how much Phoenix may like Monta or Andris.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#170 » by Chris Cohan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:57 am

Sid the Squid wrote:The (Please Use More Appropriate Word) with another 6reb and 0ass game for Phoenix.

From a simpler time.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#171 » by BROWN » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:02 am

You had to dig deep didn't you ?

Return to Golden State Warriors