ImageImageImageImageImage

This is Not A Winning Team

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

BaySportsFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

This is Not A Winning Team 

Post#1 » by BaySportsFan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:15 pm

This is the business of professional sports and if you're not in it to win it all, then you're in the wrong business. Its been clear, for the past 14 years, that Chris Cohan can care less about winning. Sure they made the playoffs just 3 years ago and they followed it up by a 47 win season in which they missed the playoffs. In the end, that all doesn't matter because in 10 years, no one is going to remember who was in the 8th seed of the playoffs, but they'll remember who the champion was.

Nellie's style of coaching, as entertaining as it is, produces only limited success. In 23 years, Nellie hasn't even made an appearance to the Finals. What does that tell you? He has even admitted to the game passing him by. This is no longer a league where you can have your small forward playing center and expect to win many games. Its a era of basketball that consists of agile, athletic 7 footers. Ever so often, a player comes that sets a new standard. Lebron James, even though he plays SG and SF, is a point guard, yet the Warriors are still stuck on the idea that a 6'3 shooting guard can bring them to the promise land. Defense not only wins championships, but they can also win you a few games. The Warriors were second in the league in scoring with 108 points per game, but they were next to last in points allowed with 112 points per game. Does this team really need more scoring or defense and rebounding? A Curry and Ellis future back court? That would be one of, if not, the worse defensive back courts in the league. You couldn't name 2 that are worse.

My prediction for next season? 33-49.
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Re: This is Not A Winning Team 

Post#2 » by KR4 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:24 pm

I'll take that bet.

Has LeBron won a championship?

Has any team, besides the Celtics in 08, won the same year the pieced together a new team?

Do you think that there is a scenario out there waiting the could give the Warriors a championship in the next year or two>
Leeeee's Nuts!
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:25 pm

I could see Anthony Randolph putting up 5pts-3rebs-1ass with .004 blocks next season..That could get us to 34 wins..The future is bright.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#4 » by a8bil » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah...next time those dumb@ss Warriors should draft Lebron, instead of Curry.

Seriously, I appreciate your sentiment, but the truth is, you don't just pick up athletic 7 footers or 6'8" point guards like Lebron. They are special players and those teams that get lucky enough (or are devious enough, i.e., San Antonio landing Duncan) to land them, enjoy all the wealth. The rest of us teams are just trying to make do with what we got.

Monta and Curry may not be the best defensive back court in history, but Monta is a special scoring talent, and if the predictions of many people come true, so is Curry. Their mission is solely to outscore their counterparts on the floor. If they can do that (which I think they can) the W's will have a shot at winning, if their front court can do their job. With AR, AB, BW, JAX, Turiaf and Maggs, I think the W's are in a better position to match up in the front court, both in length, rebounding and scoring, than they have been in a looonnngggg time. I for one would like to see how this group can grow and play together. Would be nice to get an elite post guy, but even if we don't land that guy, we have some interesting pieces that have not been given enough of a chance to prove what they can do.
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#5 » by KR4 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:27 pm

I dunno, I think that Randolph doesn't have the inner drive to really 'perform' on the defensive end. To lackadaisical. I wish he'd bring more intensity. Most NBA sources say that Randolph doesn't really have what it takes to make it on the NBA level.
Leeeee's Nuts!
Dubs4sho-tho
Freshman

Post#6 » by Dubs4sho-tho » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:09 pm

This is a terrible post - "not a winning team." Horrible.

You are genuinely correct that small ball and all-offense schemes are counter-productive to Championships. You are also correct to point out Cohan's track record and see a loser.

HOWEVER...AR is our tallest starting/designated 4 we've had in a while. He has great potential and has flashes of big games last year. Look at it that way, and your pestimistic chair looks less inviting to sit in.

We are close to having a convential team - regarding the small 1-2 combo, I mean, did you really think Nellie was going to change in one season?

Stay pumped my friends...we've got a lot to look forward to.
yosoyphat
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#7 » by yosoyphat » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:18 pm

KR4 wrote:I dunno, I think that Randolph doesn't have the inner drive to really 'perform' on the defensive end. To lackadaisical. I wish he'd bring more intensity. Most NBA sources say that Randolph doesn't really have what it takes to make it on the NBA level.

Are you serious? Have you watched Randolph? He is one of the most intense guys on the court. He puts everything he has on both ends of the court. He is only 20 years old and is still growing. He is going to be very good on both ends of the court and will be able to guard any PF out there. ( maybe not howard). The inner drive? really? So spending everyday in the gym working on his game with Morrow, gaining 20 lbs of muscle, and trying to improve his jump shot daily is not considered inner drive. He loves the game of basketball and wants to be the best. I wish everyone on the W's had the heart and inner drive of Randolph
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#8 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:20 pm

I dont think anybody on this board thinks Anthony Randolph has much upside..

Warriors could win 34 though
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#9 » by FNQ » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:22 pm

We look to be in better shape now than in any of the past 5 years... all of you mopers should stick to circlejerking it while watching the BoomFizzle era...

AR's growth, Amar'e, Curry dropping to us, and the Crawford trade and its only July 1st... what the :censored: do you guys want? Wade to demand a trade to GS?
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#10 » by J-Rich- » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:26 pm

BaySportsFan? Moar like BandwagonSportsFan. The younger players who would've helped were given really inconsistent minutes for 90% of the season, the main players missed at least 120+ games, nellie tanked on purpose for half of the season and warriors still won 29 games but should've really won 15 games. Any real GS fan would be excited for this team and it's future because of the players we have and also because this team is already better than the playoff and 48 win teams.
BaySportsFan
Ballboy

Post#11 » by BaySportsFan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:31 pm

My post never implied grabbing a guy like Lebron or agile 7 footers. I named those guys as examples of the defensive woes this team will have. Lets take a lesser team then..the LAC Clippers...Who is going to guard Baron Davis? Both Monta and Curry won't be strong enough, then they'll probably put Jax on him like they did this past season. Well, Al Thornton is 6'8, Zach Randolph is 6'9 and Kaman is 7 feet with Eric Gordon being a bulldozer at 6'4. Defensively, this team would already be in trouble and you can do that with at least 28 of the 32 teams in the NBA.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#12 » by FNQ » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:33 pm

:lol: Who needs to guard Baron? Let him shoot...

Of the [30] teams in the NBA, which backcourt wouldnt have a problem with Monta/Curry? Which frontcourt wouldnt have a problem with Jax/AR/Amar'e?

Mopemopemopemopemope
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#13 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:36 pm

I'll make you a bet BaySportsBandwagonFan..If the warriors win 32 or less games, I'll ban myself for a year from posting on realgm..If the W's win 44 or more games, you have to leave for a 2 years..Bet?
BaySportsFan
Ballboy

Post#14 » by BaySportsFan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:38 pm

J-Rich- wrote:BaySportsFan? Moar like BandwagonSportsFan. The younger players who would've helped were given really inconsistent minutes for 90% of the season, the main players missed at least 120+ games, nellie tanked on purpose for half of the season and warriors still won 29 games but should've really won 15 games. Any real GS fan would be excited for this team and it's future because of the players we have and also because this team is already better than the playoff and 48 win teams.

Blinded by being a true fan and I admire that. I've been a fan since the mid 80s and this is one of the worse teams I've seen and thats not saying they lack talent. I'm sure your optimism has been there for the past 14 years so how many times have YOU been right? Once? Not a good percentage.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Chris Cohan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:39 pm

Sid, fill up the middle there.
You don't have the guts to take the under (38) on this.

Ha. EDIT: Sid's already doubting himself on this. :lol:
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#16 » by Chris Cohan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:41 pm

Sid's original number was 38 or more wins.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#17 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:42 pm

I'll take the over on 38 if you take the under...Bet Rowell? 1 year ban for the loser.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#18 » by Chris Cohan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:46 pm

Sorry Sid, don't run and hide now.
You're already back to Poster Wars 09 after the Amar'e BS didn't hold up.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#19 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:46 pm

lol you just backed right off...I knew it. No spine.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#20 » by a8bil » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:47 pm

BaySportsFan wrote:My post never implied grabbing a guy like Lebron or agile 7 footers. I named those guys as examples of the defensive woes this team will have... Lets take a lesser team then..the LAC Clippers...Who is going to guard Baron Davis? Both Monta and Curry won't be strong enough, then they'll probably put Jax on him like they did this past season. Well, Al Thornton is 6'8, Zach Randolph is 6'9 and Kaman is 7 feet with Eric Gordon being a bulldozer at 6'4. Defensively, this team would already be in trouble and you can do that with at least 28 of the 32 teams in the NBA.

Then I guess I don't understand this part of your post:

BaySportsFan wrote:Its a era of basketball that consists of agile, athletic 7 footers. Ever so often, a player comes that sets a new standard. Lebron James, even though he plays SG and SF, is a point guard, yet the Warriors are still stuck on the idea that a 6'3 shooting guard can bring them to the promise land. Defense not only wins championships, but they can also win you a few games. The Warriors were second in the league in scoring with 108 points per game, but they were next to last in points allowed with 112 points per game. Does this team really need more scoring or defense and rebounding? A Curry and Ellis future back court? That would be one of, if not, the worse defensive back courts in the league. You couldn't name 2 that are worse. .

You say the Warriors are "stuck" on the idea that Curry or Monta (not sure which you mean) can bring them to the "promise land", but that implies they had other options and decided to take a slight off-guard in lieu of a large, powerful, point guard. I don't think that's the case. I think Curry was the BPA.

I'm sure the W's would love to have kept Baron at a price that made sense given his injury history and his relative lack of scoring efficiency. Selling the farm to keep someone like Baron can cripple your team for years...do you think the Clips are loving their decision right now?

Again, I'm not totally disagreeing with your complaints, but unless there are better options out there, the complaints ring a bit hollow.

Return to Golden State Warriors