ImageImageImageImageImage

Robby or Ruben -> who has better prospects?

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,637

Robby or Ruben -> who has better prospects? 

Post#1 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Ruben Gotay: .337 4 HR

Robinson Cano: .277 7 HR

Ruben is the better fielder and a lot faster on the base paths.

Cano
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 709

Post#2 » by pwayknicks » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:30 pm

I still have to go with Cano as much as I like Gotay right now, Cano in his first year hit well over 300 and has followed that up with this year where he is hitting slightly below 300....you know with young players, a lot bloom early and when pitchers figure them out they cant make that adjustment, Cano hasnt done a bad job making that adjustment
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
vincanityisdagr8est
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by vincanityisdagr8est » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Come on, can Gotay play a full season before you make comparisons like that. Cano is not even a prospect he has been an all-star. The guy batted .340 last year.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm

pwayknicks wrote:I still have to go with Cano as much as I like Gotay right now, Cano in his first year hit well over 300 and has followed that up with this year where he is hitting slightly below 300....you know with young players, a lot bloom early and when pitchers figure them out they cant make that adjustment, Cano hasnt done a bad job making that adjustment

Fair response. I have a Yankee fan friend who said it's no contest. Not so sure JUST yet. Cano has only had ONE year above .300 - no reason to think he's an automatic. And I like what I see from Ruben a lot. In any event, your reply is more credible.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#5 » by 34Celtic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Cano. End Thread
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
vincanityisdagr8est
Rookie

Post#6 » by vincanityisdagr8est » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:47 pm

KnicksGod wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Fair response. I have a Yankee fan friend who said it's no contest. Not so sure JUST yet. Cano has only had ONE year above .300 - no reason to think he's an automatic. And I like what I see from Ruben a lot. In any event, your reply is more credible.

Gotay is batting .337 in 92 abs. He got traded from KC where he batted .229 last year.

This comparison makes no sense. 92 abs for a guy whos spitting time with an injured Valentin and a 38 year old Easley, on a team thats struggling to score. Gotay may become a good player I don't know, but right now you can't make that comparison.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 pm

vincanityisdagr8est wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gotay is batting .337 in 92 abs. He got traded from KC where he batted .229 last year.

This comparison makes no sense. 92 abs for a guy whos spitting time with an injured Valentin and a 38 year old Easley, on a team thats struggling to score. Gotay may become a good player I don't know, but right now you can't make that comparison.

Sure you can. Wondering about the future and evaluating players ... if you can't do that here, where can you do it?

Now you can say that Gotay has nowhere near the ability and in 10 years, it will not even be close. But until Cano has proven that he's a top hitter, talking several years of consistency, and not just a guy with a nice swing, then you can compare him to anybody, especially someone who is hitting .337 with a little pop. And I happen to think their tools are similar - i.e., Ruben's swing is also real nice.

As far as what the past has shown ... and what it proves ... Cano had one year above .300 (albeit way above .300 and an All-Star year, but still just ONE season), he has a fairly low OBP in his career, he has average speed & fielding, and this year his discipline at the plate is poor. He is nothing more than an average to somewhat below average infielder this season as far as his production goes.

Also you are saying Gotay has had a small sample of results ... true enough ... but what would you rather go by as far as "what have you done for me lately" results, a guy with 100 AB's and a high average (Ruben), or a guy with 300 AB's and a very mediocre average (Robinson)?

If someone would have said, a few years back, "I think Gilbert Arenas could be great - who will be better, Arenas or Iverson?" People who are naysayers would laugh it off, or worse yet, tell people they "can't" possibly consider such a comparison, not even on a sports forum.

But now things look different don't they?

I'd rather talk, speculate and theorize about something BEFORE it happens than simply regurgitate platitudes about something after it happens.
mets87
Senior

Post#8 » by mets87 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:59 pm

haven't seen enough of gotay to make any sort of judgement.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#9 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Yeah Gotay had a hard time keeping up with the Royals organization, even though he is playing good this year. Cano had a great year last year, and is starting to turn it around. He needs to have patience at the plate ala Reyes two years ago, Cano can develop it.

Give me Cano even though im not thrilled with his glove.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
gooGD
Rookie

Post#10 » by gooGD » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Cano. End of thread.

He is not having a great year- but you dont lose bat control when you are 24. He is a threat to hit the ball anywhere on the field. Gotay has shown he can play at the big league level in limited action. Cano is a proven player- hes hardly a prospect anymore.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 pm

gooGD wrote:Cano. End of thread.

He is not having a great year- but you dont lose bat control when you are 24. He is a threat to hit the ball anywhere on the field. Gotay has shown he can play at the big league level in limited action. Cano is a proven player- hes hardly a prospect anymore.

Granted, he's not a prospect anymore. But he's also not proven. He's had one big year, his rookie was good, this year is pretty bad. "not having a great year" is very generous. He pretty much stinks this year, especially in that lineup.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:42 am

Hit & RBI for Ruben.

Did Robby have any of those today?
holdupstop23
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#13 » by holdupstop23 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Its Cano.

But I really like Gotay. He was a prospect for the Royals and really, who does turn out good playing for that team?(besides Beltran who is a superstar on any team).
**Proud Member of the Frank Williams for Starter Campaign**
Member #1 of 1
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,653

Post#14 » by Lord Commander » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm a biased Mets fan but I would take Cano over Gottay right NOW. But I do love Gottay's swing. He looks fundamentally sound and he drives the ball so well to all fields. If I can't have Cano, Gottay is a nice consolation prize. As for 4-5 years from now, I can't say convincingly that Cano will be that much better if what we're seeing from Gottay is the real deal.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#15 » by bringinhinkie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:47 am

they both are good hitters who cant field for sh*t.. too early to say who will be a better player or who is right now cause theyve both had their ups and downs
vincanityisdagr8est
Rookie

Post#16 » by vincanityisdagr8est » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:32 am

you gotta give more than 100 abs for a guy before you pick him over a proven player. I remember in 96 Rey Ordonez was batting well over .300 into july, while Alfonzo was batting something like .240. Ofcourse Alfonzo turned out to be 100x the hitter Ordonez was.

You have to remember he was traded from the Royals, they didn't have an up and coming 2nd baseman behind him. Teams like KC don't just giveup on prospects.

But I hope he does turn out to be a great player. It'll be amazing to have 3 of our infielders in their 20s.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#17 » by mjhp911 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:39 am

Gotay's glove is starting to make me cringe.

Return to New York Mets