John Harbaugh Hired As New Head Coach

UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

John Harbaugh Hired As New Head Coach 

Post#1 » by UTMCretin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:00 am

The 45-year-old Harbaugh, who received a four-year contract, will be introduced as the third coach in Ravens history at a news conference Saturday. His salary wasn't released, but most first-year NFL head coaches get slightly more than $2 million a season.

Harbaugh coached in the college ranks at Miami University (Ohio), Western Michigan, Pittsburgh, Morehead State and Cincinnati before joining the Eagles in 1998. He was selected the NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year by his peers in 2001.

He shifted to the secondary this season, working under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

"I couldn't be happier for John and his entire family," Eagles head coach Andy Reid said. "He has worked very hard to become a head coach in the National Football League. I know how much this means to him. He is very deserving of this opportunity and we will miss him in Philadelphia. John is a good friend, a great coach, and he has played a vital role in the success we have shared here. I wish him all the best in Baltimore."

The only other viable candidate for the job was New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who also interviewed earlier this month. Brian's father, veteran NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, was also an option. But he never had any serious talks with Baltimore about the vacancy.

Harbaugh will have the opportunity to hire his own staff because Bisciotti fired all of Billick's assistants. If defensive coordinator Rex Ryan does not get the head coaching job at Atlanta, there is a chance he could return to Baltimore in the same capacity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3203489
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#2 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:21 am

Some dude. We gonna have to wait and see, but why not promote Rex?
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:35 am

NurbekIL wrote:Some dude. We gonna have to wait and see, but why not promote Rex?

I'd say it has to do with Bisciotti wanting a clean slate for next year. Sweep this failure under the rug, and start anew with an entirely different group of guys (Ryan was fired after all).
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#4 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 am

Yeah, listening to all the sports radio stations here in Baltimore, the consensus is that we did this to start anew. Clean slate. Forgetting the past. They also said that this guy would be "our guy". Not like a Cowher, who will always be associated with the Steelers, and not like other high-profile coaches on the market who will be associated with their former teams. This guy will be made or broken as the coach of the Ravens and no one else.

Can't say I blame them.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by UTMCretin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:39 am

Jackson has some advice for Ravens players unfamiliar with Harbaugh, the former Philadelphia Eagles' secondary coach: Be prepared to work hard and to have some fun.

"Personally, I remember how he was at Cincinnati during winter conditioning the most," Jackson recounted. "Here it is 4:30, 5:30 in the morning and they didn't have Starbucks back then, but he was running around, acting crazy.

"His drill was the hardest drill. He was in your face yelling and screaming and he was always fired-up.

"He coached us hard, but you loved him for it. He would coach you hard and then he would hug you and tell you, 'I friggin' love you.' He's trustworthy, he's loyal and he never stops working hard."

Whether it's Jackson or the Eagles players who worked under Harbaugh for the past 10 years, players swear by the man they call "Harbs."

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2008/01_21-15/SPO

Apparently, his skills are as a motivational, detail-oriented coach, who likes to work hard and have fun. I'm summarizing here.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 pm

I suppose I'll throw this in here. Harbaugh's first hire: Cam "1-15" Cameron. Also, it looks like Rex is coming back for next year.

Harbaugh was on the staff at Indiana in 1997, when Cameron was the Hoosiers' head coach and the two men have maintained a close relationship in ensuing years.

The addition of Cameron is the first major hire by Harbaugh, who may attempt to retain Rex Ryan as his defensive coordinator. Ryan has interviewed for three head coach vacancies, but it appears he will not land any of them, and he technically remains under contract to the Ravens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210229
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#7 » by miller31time » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 am

To be honest, I'm surprised we brought back Rex Ryan. Not that has to do with his actual coaching ability, which seemed fine (even above-average). Just that it looked like we were doing a complete coaching overhaul. Nice to see Cam Cameron, though.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by UTMCretin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:27 pm

Just because it's official now.

Ryan had interviewed two weeks ago for the Ravens' head coach position, after Brian Billick was dismissed, and players had publicly lobbied for him to get the job. Ryan also interviewed for the head coach positions with the Atlanta Falcons and the Miami Dolphins.

In addition to his defensive coordinator role, Ryan will serve as assistant head coach. He signed a new three-year contract that is believed to be worth as much as $1.5 million annually. Ryan was earning $1 million-$1.2 million per year under his previous contract.

The Washington Redskins were also interested in hiring Ryan as defensive coordinator, even though they have yet to decide on a head coach to succeed Joe Gibbs. The Ravens had released Ryan, allowing him to speak to other franchises about jobs, but he remained under contract in Baltimore. Thus, the Ravens did not have to permit him to leave for any post that represented a parallel move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3218544

+1
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#9 » by UrbanLegendMD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:30 am

YAY We keep Rexy!
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.

Return to Baltimore Ravens