Steve McNair Retires

UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Steve McNair Retires 

Post#1 » by UTMCretin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Veteran quarterback Steve McNair will officially announce his retirement from a stellar 13-year career at a press conference at Ravens headquarters in Owings Mills, Md. at 1:00 p.m. today.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/04/Press_Release_-_Steve_McNair_Retirement.aspx

According to his agent, Bus Cook, McNair had only expressed a desire to retire in the past couple of days. He had been training hard during the offseason, doing a lot of weightlifting and running to help his legs. At the NFL owners meeting, new Ravens coach John Harbaugh praised McNair for his hard work and indicated he had lost about 10 pounds from last season.

On Wednesday, McNair and Cook discussed the retirement possibilities and the veteran quarterback said he was going to inform the team Thursday about retiring.

McNair announced his decision to teammates at a packed meeting prior to the Ravens' workouts Thursday morning.

"Steve is just really tired," Cook said. "He just didn't think he had the energy to keep it going."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351086

I figure this is something worth pointing out. (And then there were two?)

Goodbye Steve. I'll always remember you as that guy with whom we greatly overacheived for a season, before coming hard back to Earth in the playoffs. Titans fans will probably be a tad more wistful.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#2 » by UrbanLegendMD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Good Luck in retirement, Steve! We had some good battles with the Titans, but I always liked McNair. It's Eddie George whom I could not stand.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#3 » by miller31time » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, I'm not going to let a few poor years in Baltimore affect nearly a career's worth of elite quarterback play.

Good luck in retirement.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:57 pm

miller31time wrote:Yeah, I'm not going to let a few poor years in Baltimore affect nearly a career's worth of elite quarterback play.

Good luck in retirement.

To be fair, it was really only one poor year (although his post-MVP career in general was less than spectacular).
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,188

Post#5 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 am

In my opinion the toughest guy in sports these past several years.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#6 » by miller31time » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:31 pm

UTMCretin wrote:To be fair, it was really only one poor year (although his post-MVP career in general was less than spectacular).

I was comparatively speaking. Looking at his career numbers and averages, then looking at his 2 years in Baltimore, it's not even close.

His first year here wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't classify it as good, either. The record is more a reflection of our defense than it was superior quarterback play (though he did have a few 4th quarter finishes, which were nice).
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#7 » by Nowak008 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:33 am

Good news imo for us this year. Boller me up.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#8 » by jerrod » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Nowak008 wrote:Good news imo for us this year. Boller me up.

that overachieving season was pretty damn fun, so thanks steve
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Post#9 » by HDMAVS760CA » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:53 am

McNair's best years are behind him. It was best for him to retire. Too bad Boller didn't retire also.

Return to Baltimore Ravens