ImageImageImage

Cam Newton

Moderator: JDR720

penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Cam Newton 

Post#1 » by penquin11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Why isnt this kid projected for the First pick of the NFL draft, and why hasnt he been all year long?

Think about it how often does a team get a shot at a guy who is a freakish athlete, both in arm strength and speed? Let alone a guy who has the accolades he does (ex: Heisman, National Champion)!

The panthers need to draft this guy, its time our franchise move toward the future, as we have a new coaching squad. We need to grow some balls on draft night and take a chance on him, he will add a new dimension to our offense, provide a young exciting game, and should develop into a superb player. Is he Andrew Luck? No. But he could be our guy and has the potential to be a new brand of player, he could have the impact that Mike Vick has had this season much earlier in his career due to his accuracy and decision making.....

Don't get me wrong, Defensive linemen are great and all but spending a 1st pick on them is a bit of a stretch, not to mention that any Dlinemen we grab isnt going to win games for us.....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: Cam Newton 

Post#2 » by ohara » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 am

He is a great athlete, and can play the college QB position. But the NFL game is much too fast for him to play QB with his current game. He has some skills, but would be a QB project. I'd take him in the late 1st or early 2nd as a QB project, but not the 1st pick of the draft.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#3 » by Rooster » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:54 am

penquin11 wrote:Don't get me wrong, Defensive linemen are great and all but spending a 1st pick on them is a bit of a stretch, not to mention that any Dlinemen we grab isnt going to win games for us.....

Does the name Julius Peppers ring a bell? I see the only two legitimate #1 picks being Fairley and Bowers.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#4 » by Jaruff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Rooster wrote:
penquin11 wrote:Don't get me wrong, Defensive linemen are great and all but spending a 1st pick on them is a bit of a stretch, not to mention that any Dlinemen we grab isnt going to win games for us.....

Does the name Julius Peppers ring a bell? I see the only two legitimate #1 picks being Fairley and Bowers.

Indeed. Go back to the year Peppers was drafted.

Pick 1: David Carr
Pick 2: Peppers
Pick 3: Joey Harrington
Pick 4: Mike Williams
Pick 5: Quentin Jammer

Two good players in that list and both are defensive guys.

I still believe that Bowers will be the pick. The team has a record of picking local guys and Bowers fits that bill.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#5 » by ohara » Fri Mar 4, 2011 1:14 am

I really think they want to create enough interest in them taking Cam that someone trades up to get him. If they can fall back to between 2nd and 6th, I think they would do that if they could add an early 2nd and 3rd to their picks. Any of the Top 6 players are going to fit in nicely with the Panthers, and I dont think any of them stand out far and away over the others the way that crappy Stanford QB did. That still gripes me to no end.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ohara » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/0 ... thers.html

More and more indications that Newton is the pick. Still, without our 2nd rounder, would not be at all surprised if this is merely to create a trade where we move back a few picks to pick up an early 2nd and maybe a 3rd to go along with it.
pistolpete0089
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by pistolpete0089 » Wed Apr 6, 2011 4:46 am

As a panthers fan I would be upset if the Panthers DID draft Newton with the number one overall pick - they have Clausen who will be alright given time and a better defence and offensive line to play with. The Panthers should look to upgrade their D line with a sure pick like Marcell Dareus before going with a risky pick on a QB who could backfire ala JaMarcus Russell.

Either that or if the Panthers are intend on giving up on Clausen they should trade down and look to take Gabbert and then address some of their other issues in the second round which they otherwise would not be able to do.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#8 » by ohara » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm

pistolpete0089 wrote:As a panthers fan I would be upset if the Panthers DID draft Newton with the number one overall pick - they have Clausen who will be alright given time and a better defence and offensive line to play with. The Panthers should look to upgrade their D line with a sure pick like Marcell Dareus before going with a risky pick on a QB who could backfire ala JaMarcus Russell.

Either that or if the Panthers are intend on giving up on Clausen they should trade down and look to take Gabbert and then address some of their other issues in the second round which they otherwise would not be able to do.

I would be OK with Newton #1, but agree we should go with Dareus #1. Give JC this season to provew he can be a starting QB. If he sucks again and we suck as a team, then next season we will have the #1 pick again and this time we get Luck as our franchise QB.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#9 » by Rooster » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 am

ohara wrote:I really think they want to create enough interest in them taking Cam that someone trades up to get him. If they can fall back to between 2nd and 6th, I think they would do that if they could add an early 2nd and 3rd to their picks. Any of the Top 6 players are going to fit in nicely with the Panthers, and I dont think any of them stand out far and away over the others the way that crappy Stanford QB did. That still gripes me to no end.

In retrospect...
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
pistolpete0089
Ballboy

Post#10 » by pistolpete0089 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 am

I just hope Newton gets a good rating in Madden 12 - looks like that'll be the only action I will see him in this year
ohara
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ohara » Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 pm

pistolpete0089 wrote:I just hope Newton gets a good rating in Madden 12 - looks like that'll be the only action I will see him in this year

+1 LOL!!
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by penquin11 » Sun Jun 5, 2011 8:43 pm

pistolpete0089 wrote:I just hope Newton gets a good rating in Madden 12 - looks like that'll be the only action I will see him in this year

Damn straight
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach

Post#13 » by ohara » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:17 pm

From the unofficial workouts the players held, seens that everyone was very impressed with not just the skillset of Newton, but his leadership and his ability to learn a good deal of the playbook so far. Good news in a very down time for football.
pistolpete0089
Ballboy

Post#14 » by pistolpete0089 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 am

I realise this is off the topic of Cam Newton

But seriously owners and players get your **** together - I am so sick of the lockout, I pretty much look forward to all the free agent signings and trades in the off season more than the season proper this is killing.

Just thought I would vent my frustration
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#15 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Jul 2, 2011 3:54 am

I'm glad we got him!:)
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
PacerRays07
Ballboy

Post#16 » by PacerRays07 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 pm

It is extremely helpful that he was able to get the playbook before the lockout was instated. Hopefully, he will be able to study it all offseason long, and he will be able to get together with his teammates to work on stuff, even if its not at the Panther's facility.
pistolpete0089
Ballboy

Post#17 » by pistolpete0089 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Read a report this morning that Jake Delhomme could head back to Carolina once he is released by Cleveland to mentor Newton and Clausen. Just want to say this a great plan and I am sure all Panther fans would welcome him back on the roster before Bulger or some of the other names that have been thrown around
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by penquin11 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 am

Hahaha b*tches look who was right all along...

Sorry I just had to get that out :)
ohara
Head Coach

Post#19 » by ohara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

penquin11 wrote:Hahaha b*tches look who was right all along...

Credit given! I thought he could do the job eventually, but I thought he was a 2-3 year project at best, and that one there, he would be an avg NFL starting QB. He blew by my expectations like a freaking Hurricane. Very pleased with his performance so far this year.

I see us being 4-12 and we will likely have the #5 pick in the 2012 draft. Adding another stud to our defense will go a long way in helping us succeed next year. But if we can somehow turn that pick into 2 by trading with Cleveland, I'd be happier. That shoud be picks around #10 and #18 in exchange for #5.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by penquin11 » Sat Dec 3, 2011 8:40 pm

ohara wrote:
penquin11 wrote:Hahaha b*tches look who was right all along...

Credit given! I thought he could do the job eventually, but I thought he was a 2-3 year project at best, and that one there, he would be an avg NFL starting QB. He blew by my expectations like a freaking Hurricane. Very pleased with his performance so far this year.

I see us being 4-12 and we will likely have the #5 pick in the 2012 draft. Adding another stud to our defense will go a long way in helping us succeed next year. But if we can somehow turn that pick into 2 by trading with Cleveland, I'd be happier. That shoud be picks around #10 and #18 in exchange for #5.

Yeah but which stud? I think that our defense is suffering from 2 things:
1. ALL of our linebackers are dead
2. Our Defensive cordinator really isnt that good.

I have watched our D-Line and for how much people harp on them they arent that bad, its just that anyone outside of Anderson on our LB squad cant come up and make a tackle at the line. In regards to pass-rushing that is one area we need to impove in, badly. Also for how much everyone overlooks him Chris Gamble really is an elite corner. He straight up shut down Larry Fitz in week one, then shut down Greg Jennings in week 2, held Calvin out of the endzone against the lions, limited Marques Colston against the saints, and against he falcons he made Roddy White a non-factor. Gamble has played insanely well this year.

Return to Carolina Panthers