ImageImageImage

FA signings

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: FA signings 

Post#21 » by ohara » Mon Aug 1, 2011 3:13 pm

Terrell McClaim finally singed and in camp. Everyone in now. Expecting Panthers to sign vet QB Derek Anderson in the next day or so. Want him to be a mentor to Cam and Jimmy. Will give him the chance to compete for playing time, but I dont know how realisticthat would be. I think the FO is really hoping Cam shows them something during Training Camp and Pre-Season to allow him to start right away.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#22 » by ohara » Mon Aug 1, 2011 7:04 pm

Really want to see them go get Carlos Rogers since we let Richard Marshall walk away. We need someone to start opposite Chris Gamble.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#23 » by Jaruff » Mon Aug 1, 2011 7:38 pm

ohara wrote:Really want to see them go get Carlos Rogers since we let Richard Marshall walk away. We need someone to start opposite Chris Gamble.

I see a couple of options:

1. The Captain starts.
2. We trade for Samuel.
3. We have a couple of guys that played some CB in college (believe Godfrey did, pretty sure Martin did).
4. We sign someone like Rogers.

It might be cheaper to start Munnerlyn and find a veteran to play the nickel. Chris Gamble better step his game up too or else we'll be looking for two CB's.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#24 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Aug 1, 2011 8:01 pm

Jaruff wrote:
ohara wrote:2. We trade for Samuel.

:pray:
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
pistolpete0089
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by pistolpete0089 » Tue Aug 2, 2011 12:23 am

Let the Captain start - He has shown alot of upside in his two years in the league

and if the Panthers sign Derek Anderson i would hate to see him start week 1, I am all for having a mentor but giving Anderson the keys to the offense in week 1 would undo all the other great work this off season
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#26 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Aug 2, 2011 12:29 am

carolinagrowl Steve Reed
Derek Anderson is here and signed. He just walked on wearing No. 3 shorts.

pistolpete0089
Ballboy

Post#27 » by pistolpete0089 » Tue Aug 2, 2011 6:58 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

but where does this move leave Tony Pike?
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jaruff » Tue Aug 2, 2011 7:12 am

pistolpete0089 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821261fd/article/anderson-will-mentor-newton-but-he-wants-panthers-qb-job?module=HP11_headline_stack

but where does this move leave Tony Pike?

Practice squad or fourth QB like last year. I think we keep him long-term because I see Jimmy being dealt if Newton explodes. I actually expect all four to compete for the starting job.

Kemba2Hendo wrote:carolinagrowl Steve Reed
Derek Anderson is here and signed. He just walked on wearing No. 3 shorts.

Good move. A veteran QB with solid experience.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#29 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Aug 4, 2011 10:53 pm

sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers
by josephperson
Rob Chudzinski gets a new WR in Carolina -- Legedu Naanee. Finds a team before Malcom Floyd.

Steve Reed

The Panthers have signed WR Legedu Naanee, according to what he wrote on Twitter. “Heading too Charlotte, can’t wait to meet my new teammates and get to work!”

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/carolinagrowl/~LWEju

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... edu-naanee

ohara
Head Coach

Post#30 » by ohara » Sat Aug 6, 2011 12:50 am

Dont know much about him, but hopefully he fits since he played for Chudzinski in SD.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#31 » by ohara » Sun Aug 7, 2011 12:44 pm

Claimed CB Chevis Jackson after being waived by Denver. A 2009 3rd round pick from LSU. Has been underwhelmisng thus far and played for 3 teams. But he is still young and should be able to be an adequate backup for us.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jaruff » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Kentwan Balmer was signed today. Cletis Gordon was placed on IR to make room for Balmer.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#33 » by Jaruff » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Chris Massey (RB) signed.
Louis Ellis (DT) cut.
Anthony Santella (P) cut.
Trent Guy (WR) cut.
Tommie Duhart (DT) cut.

Apparently Massey is a longsnapper from St. Louis. The other cuts are expected.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#34 » by Jaruff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Updates:

Chris Massey (RB) cut.
Gary Barnidge (TE) Placed on IR (broken ankle).
David Gettis (WR) Placed on IR (torn acl).
Zack Williams (C) Placed on IR (torn acl).
Geoff Schwartz (T) Placed on IR (hip).
Duke Robinson (G) cut.
Tony Pike (QB) cut.

Massey wasn't here a day. Not surprised at the guys we IR'd but losing Schwartz will hurt if Otah can't make it an entire season. Not surprised Robinson was cut either and I think everyone expected Pike to be the odd man out. He should, at the very least, be on a practice squad next week, hopefully ours.

Edit: I forgot that Schwartz was likely going to start at guard for us. That hurts even more.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jaruff » Thu Sep 1, 2011 6:11 pm

We claimed Jerome Felton off waivers today. You might remember that he played at Furman. Good blocking fullback.
aibie06
Banned User

Post#36 » by aibie06 » Sun Sep 4, 2011 6:03 pm

The Panthers also cut wide receivers Wallace Wright(notes), Charly Martin(notes), Darvin Adams(notes) and Jamorris Warren(notes); tight end Greg Smith(notes); offensive linemen Ryan Pugh(notes), Jacob Bender(notes) and John Gianninoto(notes); defensive linemen Malcolm Tatum(notes), Ugo Chinasa(notes) and DelJuan Robinson(notes); linebackers Lawrence Wilson and Sean Ware(notes); cornerbacks Robert McClain(notes), Chevis Jackson(notes), C.J. Wilson and Kendric Burney(notes); safety Michael Greco(notes) and kicker Adi Kunalic(notes).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... thers-cuts
ohara
Head Coach

Post#37 » by ohara » Sun Sep 4, 2011 9:04 pm

Waiving Everette Brown. Brings an end to that horrible decision to trade a 1st to get him in the 2nd. He lasts 2 years with the Panthers.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#38 » by ohara » Mon Sep 5, 2011 8:20 pm

Beefing up the OL by resigning former Panther Geoff Hangartner and Max Jean-Gilles. I really like getting Haangartner back
ohara
Head Coach

Post#39 » by ohara » Tue Sep 6, 2011 12:18 pm

Over the weekend Carolina claimed Marcus Harrison, the DT waived by Chicago. But just saw where he failed his physical Monday so it is a no-go. Gottta get some DT help, otherwise the 2 Rookies will have to carry the load.

Man, losing Edwards for the season really kinda threw a monkey wrench into the works. This pre-season the Panthers looked very weak in the middle of the D Line. Have to improve or teams will run it up the gut on us all day long.

Edit: Looks like they signed Frank Kearse. Rookie who was a 7th round pick for Miami whom they waived and sought to sign to their practice squad.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jaruff » Thu Sep 8, 2011 8:51 pm

Not surprised about Brown. He never developed and Hardy always outclassed him (good value for the former 6th rounder btw). Max Jean-Gilles was a good guard at Georgia, not sure what he'll do here but he's a big body. Like you, I think the Hangartner move is great. I like the additions of Vaughan and Burney on the practice squad; I think at least one of them will be on our active by the end of the season.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't picked up Tommie Harris. Veteran DT that played under Rivera in Chicago. I still expect us to get Joselio Hanson (Eagles) at some point too.

Also seems we cut Sean Considine. David Clowney too. Oh well. Fiammetta was picked up by the Cowboys.

Return to Carolina Panthers