Injury News

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Injury News 

Post#1 » by ohara » Sat Aug 6, 2011 5:32 pm

Well crap! Bad news from camp last night:

1. FA signee Ron Edwards who was to be a starting DT for us is lost for the season with a torn triceps. Will require surgery.

2. Rookie OL Zack Williams suffred a L ACL tear and will be lost for the season after surgery.

Both were to contribute to the team this season. Really crappy news.
ohara
Head Coach

Re: Injury News 

Post#2 » by ohara » Mon Aug 8, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, they were hoping Edwards might get away without surgery. No go. Will have surgery and be out at least 2 months. Outside chance he plays somewhere in the last 1/3 of the season, but dont count on it. Really stings.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#3 » by ohara » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 am

Nope. Edwards will have surgery and is on the Injured Reserve list. Lost for the year. They filled the spot with another body - never heard of him.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#4 » by ohara » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:12 am

Well CRAP!!! Gettis tore an ACL. Will miss significant time, but not sure if they will have to IR him. What a load of crap!

Edit: Saying it looks like he'll miss the season. OK, time for the other young guns to step up and show what they have for us. I am especially interested to see if LaFell or Armanti Edwards can step up big time and do something for us,
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Jaruff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

ohara wrote:Well CRAP!!! Gettis tore an ACL. Will miss significant time, but not sure if they will have to IR him. What a load of crap!

Edit: Saying it looks like he'll miss the season. OK, time for the other young guns to step up and show what they have for us. I am especially interested to see if LaFell or Armanti Edwards can step up big time and do something for us,

Yea, that's a huge blow. He really showed some great things last year and I was looking forward to him pairing with Newton.

It means that someone else will have to step up. If he's going to be out for the season, maybe we'll bring in a veteran? There should be some decent veterans available.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ohara » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:01 am

Rookie OL Zach Williams looks to be IR bound and lost for the season with ACL also. Man, injury bug is killing us this pre-season!
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#7 » by Jaruff » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 pm

ohara wrote:Rookie OL Zach Williams looks to be IR bound and lost for the season with ACL also. Man, injury bug is killing us this pre-season!

It kills us every year. I think we're good on the OL though; Williams is a OG/C and we're pretty good at both positions. I think he's a guy that could be important to us in a few years but it's not a huge loss this year.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#8 » by ohara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:18 am

Have to say I am getting very very worried about Jeff Otah. He had surgery the off season before last and was expected to play last season. But the healing just did not come around and he missed the entire year. He was suppose to be healthy for this season. But in the 2 week training camp, he is having more knee swelling and has missed the 1st 2 preseason games. This is making me very uncomfortable. He is a road paving monster who was terrific his Rookie year for us. We spent a 2nd 1st round pick on him the same year we drafted Stewart. But I shudder think we picked a player with a 1st round pick if he is only going to give us 1 year. I hope the knee issues are nothing serious and he is able to play this year. We need him.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#9 » by ohara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Holy crap! Extend Beason for 5 years and $50 mil, and in 1st game he tears his Achilles tendon and is likely lost for the year. Dan Conner will be a good fill in, but he's not the hawk that Beason is for us. Others going to have to step up their game for the Defense.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#10 » by Jaruff » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 pm

ohara wrote:Holy crap! Extend Beason for 5 years and $50 mil, and in 1st game he tears his Achilles tendon and is likely lost for the year. Dan Conner will be a good fill in, but he's not the hawk that Beason is for us. Others going to have to step up their game for the Defense.

We have a thing for linebacker injuries around these parts. Really disappointed to see Beason on the bench. Possibility that we bring Lawrence Wilson (6th round pick) off the practice squad to replace him. Conner and Gaither will have to pick up the slack too. Luckily we have solid LB depth.

Also, looks like Jeff Otah is healthy but rusty. Can't say the same for Thomas Davis who looked great but will have to put in even more work now.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ohara » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 pm

WOW! Another blow. Thomas Davis is history for the year, and maybe his career. Tore the ACL for a 3rd time in 23 months. Not sure if he will be able to play football again as his ACL may not hold up to the test anymore. The Panthers just gave him that huge Contract also. Have to wonder if there is some clause in there that relates to a career ending injury and it the Contract is VOID at some point where Insurance takes over. Horrible blow to the Defense. Very sad news.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#12 » by ohara » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Answered: Only $8 mil is guaranteed. It was just in case something like this happened. Gotta think the answer is clear for Carolina in the next draft - get a stud LB.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#13 » by Jaruff » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 pm

ohara wrote:WOW! Another blow. Thomas Davis is history for the year, and maybe his career. Tore the ACL for a 3rd time in 23 months. Not sure if he will be able to play football again as his ACL may not hold up to the test anymore. The Panthers just gave him that huge Contract also. Have to wonder if there is some clause in there that relates to a career ending injury and it the Contract is VOID at some point where Insurance takes over. Horrible blow to the Defense. Very sad news.

It's Dan Morgan all over again. I doubt he plays again. Like you said, very sad news.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#14 » by ohara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Jeff Otah out for the rest of the year wih that knee. Team is going to have to cut bait after the season. He cannot stayt healthy enough to play in the NFL. Too bad. A wasted 1st rounder. Oh well, live and learn.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jaruff » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm

ohara wrote:Jeff Otah out for the rest of the year wih that knee. Team is going to have to cut bait after the season. He cannot stayt healthy enough to play in the NFL. Too bad. A wasted 1st rounder. Oh well, live and learn.

Not just that, didn't we trade up for him? Actually, yes we did ...

Philadelphia traded its first-round selection to Carolina for Carolina's second- and fourth-round selections in 2008 (No. 43 and 109), and Carolina's first-round pick in 2009.

So, in reality, we gave up:

#28 in 2009.

Tyrell Johnson was the only decent player out of that lot so I guess it wasn't that bad.

Return to Carolina Panthers