Pre-Season Games

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Pre-Season Games 

Post#1 » by ohara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:39 am

First up: NY Giants

Clausen looks OK out there. That pick 6 stunk, but he led them for a TD with a great pass to Olsen. DeAngelo looks solid, and the Defense looks good. Ready for Cam.
ohara
Head Coach

Re: Pre-Season Games 

Post#2 » by ohara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:58 am

Jimmy looked good except for that bad pick 6. Cam showed the spark you know the team wants. Made some big plays, no bad plays, and had some balls dropped or defended well. But you could see that he has huge upside and ability. And he never looked "lost" our there. Good to see Armanti Edwards get out there and show something. Defense and running backs were fine for what we saw of them, but Goodson better quit fumbling or he will see very little playing time. He was the big disappointment tonight.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#3 » by ohara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:25 am

20 - 10 victory. I know it is only pre-season, but a win is a win. Good for the confidence.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#4 » by Jaruff » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:15 pm

ohara wrote:Jimmy looked good except for that bad pick 6. Cam showed the spark you know the team wants. Made some big plays, no bad plays, and had some balls dropped or defended well. But you could see that he has huge upside and ability. And he never looked "lost" our there. Good to see Armanti Edwards get out there and show something. Defense and running backs were fine for what we saw of them, but Goodson better quit fumbling or he will see very little playing time. He was the big disappointment tonight.

Pretty much. Sutton has taken Goodson's job before; he can do it again. There are still many position battles that have to be worked out but things are looking good right now.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#5 » by ohara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Cam will start Game #2 vs Miami on Friday. Very interested to see how he looks against Miami's 1st team Defense. This will go a long way in deciding who starts the regular season.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ohara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:06 am

Game vs Miami to see who starts at QB. Should be exciting,

Cam looked OK on first possession. Defense has looked not so hot.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#7 » by ohara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:08 am

Well, we are down 17-0 at the half. My impressions so far:

Cam was OK. No major mistakes, really loves his TE's and that is good. No Smith so there was not much for the WR's tonight. O line game nothing for DeAngelo, and we dont have Stewart tonight. But the biggest downfall was they were barely on the field. I think in 30 minutes of football, TOP was probably over 20 minutes for Miami and less than 10 for Carolina. The culprit: Defense could not staop ANYTHING.

The Defense made me sick to my stomach! Wow! Gave up over 300 yards in 1st half. Henne looks like a Pro Bowl QB against us. He and his WR's just carved up our secondary. The D Line could not stop Reggie Bush whenever he ran the ball. And the Defense put almost NO pressure at all on Henne. it was thoroughly embarrassing for the 1st half and the Coaches should absolutely let these players have it.

If Jimmy looks real good the 2nd half, I could see him starting Game 1. But if he does nothing to impress, or he throws INT's, it will be Cam's job. Just really disappointed that Cam did not have Smith to throw to tonight.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#8 » by ohara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 am

Have to see what Rivera does re: the QB situation. Jimmy and Cam have played about the same. And with that being the case, I have to give an edge to Cam to be the starter. He wanted to make a decision before the next game on Thursday. Not sure if he will or wait and see if Thrusday makes things a bit more clear.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#9 » by Jaruff » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 am

ohara wrote:Have to see what Rivera does re: the QB situation. Jimmy and Cam have played about the same. And with that being the case, I have to give an edge to Cam to be the starter. He wanted to make a decision before the next game on Thursday. Not sure if he will or wait and see if Thrusday makes things a bit more clear.

Don't rule out Derek Anderson. I know he didn't play tonight but he has starter experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the few few games before Jimmy/Cam show that they're ready. Can't say I miss Matt Moore.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#10 » by ohara » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Cam will start Thursday at Cincy and play about 3 qtrs. Jimmy will come in to finish. No starter has been named for the regular seasn yet, but I strongly suspect this tells us that Newton has the edge. If he comes out and plays a bit better in this game, he will be the starter. But if he struggles mightily, and Jimmy can come in and do something, I think Jimmy takes the job. My expectation is that Cam will do better Thursday and solidify his spot as the #1 QB on the team. Just a hunch.

Jaruff, I read something a few days ago where Riera was asked if Derek Anderson was in the running for the start, and Rivera did not say "No". But he did say that they were more focused on their two yong guys, so to me that pretty much means Derek will not be the starter. But he could come in if there are injuries, games get out of hand, etc...
ohara
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ohara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:38 am

Once again, the Carolina defense is showing to be far weaker than thought. Last week the Dolphins torched them; and this week, the Bengals are killing our defense. Cam was OK, had a rushing TD, but was inconsistent on hitting his receivers. That will get better with time. But decision making is solid. No TO's in any of his games.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#12 » by ohara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:23 am

Cam will start the final Pre-Season game also. Not named the starter for regular season yet, but you can read the tea leaves. Getting him as much practice and game time as possible. He is going to be thrown to the wolves. Let's see how he fends for himself.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#13 » by ohara » Thu Sep 1, 2011 12:15 am

Really hope Cam settles in a bit in the final Pre-Season game. There will be a lot of learning going on this season. The more he plays, the better I will feel about his ability to handle the job. I have confidence in him. Just give him the time and give him the ball. He'll deliver when the dust settles.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jaruff » Thu Sep 1, 2011 2:06 am

I really liked the Michael Vick comparisons I've read. Vick came into the league and was a poor passer. I expect the same from Cam until he can get adjusted. Unlike Vick, I think Newton is motivated to make those improvements now instead of waiting until he turns 30.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#15 » by ohara » Fri Sep 2, 2011 1:29 am

Nice 1 possession game for Cam. 3/5 for 25 yrds and a TD to Shockey. Had a 19 yard run early in the possession. Nice way to end the Pre-Season and start the regular season. Good vibes.
aibie06
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#16 » by aibie06 » Sun Sep 4, 2011 5:30 pm

Newton looked really comfortable as the preseason went along. He had strong arms! And his good mobility just fits for the starting job!!! He is good...

Return to Carolina Panthers