ImageImageImage

Off season news

Moderator: JDR720

Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Re: Off season news 

Post#21 » by Jaruff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 am

We also signed Justin Medlock, former UCLA and Canadian Football League kicker. Has played in the NFL some too.

Cowboys also signed former Panther Mackenzy Bernadeau too. Can't say I'll miss him.

With Wharton gone, I think we may take a look at former Charger Marcus McNeill. At least I hope we would; pretty good lineman.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#22 » by penquin11 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:45 am

We won't be signing anyone of any notability this year in free agency...
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#23 » by ohara » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 am

penquin11 wrote:We won't be signing anyone of any notability this year in free agency...

Yep. Cap space is not there. Going to have to get something of an impactful nature in the draft, which is entirely possible.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#24 » by ohara » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Signed Safety and Spec. Teamer Haruki Nakamura. Formerly of Baltimore, backed up Ed Reed for 4 years. Will compete with Sharrod Martin for Safety, and play Special Teams. OK. Solid move.

We have RB Mike Tolbert visiting also. Bigger news here. Played for San Diego. A few teams want him. But Carolina already has Williams and Stewart in the backfield. Speculation is if we sign Tolbert, may put Williams or Stewart on the Trading Block. NOT a big fan of that move, simply because having 2 solid backs like we do help us keep them fresh and also gives us a weapon if one or the other goes down with injury. But they team may feel another 1st round pick via trade is something they desire, Will have to see what the next month holds for Panther fans on this one. **But Rivera should know this kid well, so if he makes this move, then I have to trust that he feels this kid is a quality back who just needs his shot.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#25 » by ohara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Tolbert is signed to a 4 yr deal. Gotta feel Stewart will be dealt soon, likely before the Draft.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by penquin11 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm

YES Tolbert can line up at the FB slot as he is a tremendous blocker and great pass catcher- he can contribute in short yardage situations....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#27 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 am

ohara wrote:Tolbert is signed to a 4 yr deal. Gotta feel Stewart will be dealt soon, likely before the Draft.

All of the twitter talking heads say no but I don't see much of a future for him here past this year. Tolbert is a Goal Line TD machine btw.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 am

Tolbert will line up in the FB slot- expect for him to be VERY active as a blocker or pass catcher, as well as a strong goal line back- he will likely be utilized more than Jonathan Stewart. Also while Carolina may not be intending to trade Williams or Stewart I think if a team calls with a good deal we go for it....
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 am

Additional Comments/Grades:

Jags: B
Laurent Robinson was a great grab as was Mincy, not much to love but not anything to hate either, good moves.

Eagles: B
Picking up Demeco Ryans is HUGE for the eagles, Ryans is great versus the run- which is where the Eagles needed help so badly.

Seahawks: A-
Ok last time I had them at B, but signing Matt Flynn on the deal they did (not all that expensive really) was just a stellar move, god knows Flynn could have made 3 times more with the Dolphins. Flynn is a great fit for the West Coast offense that the Hawks run as well.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#30 » by ohara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Moves by Jags and Seahawks are good, I agree. I like the Eagles move, but it does come with some risk. Prior to his inujry in 2010, Ryans was an awesome LB. I thought the injury was an ACL, but article says it was his achilles. He missed most of 2010 and was very subpar 2011. So the questions for Eagles fans is " Which Ryans are they getting? " Pre injury makes it a win. Post injury, not too good. He is still owed a good bit of money the next couple years, and they swapped 3rd rounders and gave Houston a 4th. Wont know who wins on this deal until we see how well he plays. But was it worth the gamble? I think so.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Ryans struggled early in 2011 but in the last 4 games of the season he turned things around, part of the problem was that he was being played in a 3-4 scheme and he is a 4-3 LB.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#32 » by ohara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 pm

On a side note, it appears Cam was one of the four QB's targeted by the Saints with a bounty. Glad he made it through unscathed. And although I already agreed with the punishment issued by the League, this only makes me further in favor of the punishment.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Wow thats low- had they injured Cam and this news come out I would have been **** outraged.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#34 » by ohara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Just signed OG Mike Pollak. He has been starting for the Colts most of the past 4 years. Very good pickup. Cam will be happy.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by penquin11 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 am

Pickups I like:

Rams Steve Smith: If he can get over his injury he could be a PERFECT fit with Sam Bradford, he is a good possession WR who has good hands and is very consistent.

Saints Curtis Lofton: Personally Im not sure how they managed to pull of getting this guy, he is a borderline elite LB who should easily replace Vilma..... I just don't get how they managed to luer him away from the Falcons...

Broncos Tamme Jacob: Still young Tamme can play both the FB and TE slots with great precision, he is an excellent addition to Peyton Mannings arsenal.

Broncos Tracy Porter: The guy has lights out speed and could learn a thing or 2 from Champ Bailey, I think that moving away from the bountygate Saints was a good move for him and that he could have a big impact in Denver. Love the signing!

Bills Mark Anderson: Anderson may not be Mario Williams, but who needs to be when your lining up opposite of him? Anderson should get plenty of opportunities to get sacks because of the additional protection assigned to Williams, not to mention for the Bills this gives them 2 DE's who can rush from the 3-4 slot effectively, whereby allowing for alot of defensive versatility by their Defensive Line. The Bills are clearly trying to form a Giants like D-Line, and so far have only impressed in doing so.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#36 » by ohara » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Carolina trades a RB!!!! No, not Stewart or Williams. Traded Mike Goodsen to Oakland for OT Bruce Campbell. We needed OL depth and he will do fine. And we had extra RB's to deal. But may eliminate any talk of trading Stewart at this time.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by penquin11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Great pickup by us- Cambell is a tremendous athlete and will likely fill in at RT if Otah gets injured.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#38 » by ohara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Carolina just signed Steve Smith to a 3 year extension which takes him thru 2015. Glad he will likely retire a Panther. Smith is happy again now that Cam is QB. And Cam needs Smith to have a go to WR until we get another one. Might be LaFell in the future, or a yet unknown WR. But for now, it is Smith.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by penquin11 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 pm

The only bad thing about Smith is that he really isn't a TD magnet, we need a TD magnet.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 am

thank God Cam didnt win the Madden cover vote!

Return to Carolina Panthers