ImageImageImage

Carolina at Atlanta

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Carolina at Atlanta 

Post#1 » by ohara » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Game # 4. We go to Atlanta. Panthers are 1-2 and Atlanta is 3-0 and looking very good. By all predictions, this should be a rout for the Falcons. Hopefully the Panthers can play good ball and get a road victory. Cam needs to protect the ball and pass well. Defense has to be better than they have been to date.
ohara
Head Coach

Re: Carolina at Atlanta 

Post#2 » by ohara » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm

7-7 after 1st. Cam throwing well. Had a couple drops, and Smith fumbled so Atlanta has the ball in Carolina territory to start the 2nd.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#3 » by ohara » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Down 17-14 at the half. Clock mismanagement kept the Panthers from having a shot at scoring at the end of the half. Very poor job by the HC there. But the team is fighting hard, and we have a chance.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#4 » by ohara » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Panthers lead 28-24 with under 7 minutes to play. But Atlanta has the ball in Panther territory.

Gave up a FG. 28-27. And Carolina calls two stupid horrible running plays for no yards, and then a failed pass on 3rd. Punt it back to Atlanta.

Defense forces a 3 and out! 3.5 sacks for Charles Johnson today and 7 for the team as a whole! Couple first downs and we win! Come on!

Panthers have a 3rd and 4, Cam runs and just has the 1st, but fumbles. Panthers recover, but lose the 1st down. 4th and 1 at Atlanta 45. Try to draw Falcons offside, fails. Panthers down the punt at the 1 yard line! 59 seconds to go and no TO's for Atlanta.

Panthers give up a 59 yard pass! Atlanta has it at the Panther 40 with 30 seconds. Down to the 23. 10 seconds and Atlanta will go for a 40 yard FG to try and win it 30-28. It is.... good.

We suck!!!!!!!!! Fire whomever is in charge of the DB's and Safety play!!!!
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Rooster » Tue Oct 2, 2012 12:29 am

Best game of the week, and it was an entertaining week. Great to see Cam playing well. Best pass rush since Peppers left. A near victory in the house of the arguably most impressive team so far is nice and should give us more confidence for ATL@CAR later in the year. Sadly, great performances by so many players still couldn't win the game, and the secondary was so bad that pass rush still couldn't stop us from allowing 30. A very mixed game.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#6 » by penquin11 » Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:27 pm

Loved how well Cam played, but I hate the coaching flaws. With 1:43 left we should have gone for it on fourth and 1, also we really struggled stopping big plays so we probably should have dropped our safeties deep (after all we were already letting Turner run over us, so its not like the safeties were helping anyways). And we sure as hell shouldn't be giving up more than 6 yards a carry every game, we have 3 run stuffing LB's, 2 established DT's, and 2 Run stopping DE's- and we still can't stop the run? Are you **** kidding me? The problem originates with our defensive scheme, as it attempts to cover up holes in pass coverage by spreading the field with DB's, which makes it extremely vulnerable to the run. This would be fine if our Safeties weren't so terrible at defending against the run. I would like to see more tampa 2 schemes and 3-4 lineups. We have 2 DT's who have played NT sucessfully in the past, Hardy seems like he was born to be a 3-4 DE, and Johnson is good enough at stopping the run to be a 3-4 DE while also being athletic enough to occassionally blitz from an outside LB position (though not athletic enough to consistently play a 3-4 OLB). Our linebackers are all exceptionally athletic, I could see James anderson lining up at ROLB in the 3-4 with Luke Kuechly manning the LOLB or ILB2 spot (more focus on LOLB, where he has the strength, speed, size, and skills to rush the passer, while also being a 100+ tackle guy), inside we would have Beason and Davis or Beason and Senn, both have proved to be good run stopping LB's in the past.....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark

Return to Carolina Panthers