And1: 58

Post#162 » by IbreakNeckZ101 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:20 am

The Rex era needs to come to an end.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,198

Post#163 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:40 am

I can't imagine any reason Lovie can possibly give for not making a QB change next week.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#164 » by The Evidence » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:48 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I can't imagine any reason Lovie can possibly give for not making a QB change next week.

Nobody can.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#165 » by CBS7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 am

CUT HIM.

Sorry montree, you were right. He IS the worst starting QB in the NFL.

He's terrible, he's crap, and he makes the DEFENSE look worse.

I'm not going to be talking about NFL on this board until Lovie declares Griese as the starter and he actually plays.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#166 » by SportsWorld » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:04 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I can't imagine any reason Lovie can possibly give for not making a QB change next week.

Lovie is a horrible, horrible coach for sticking with Rex again.
It's him against the City of Chicago.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#167 » by Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 am

Did you guys watch the pre-season? Griese isn't a good QB either.

Too bad the Bears don't have the balls to trade for a band-aid QB. I mean, even David Carr or some one like that would be worth the risk.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#168 » by CBS7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 am

Griese completed 74.1% of his passes, threw 2 TDs and 1 INT, and had a QB rating of 107.8 in the preseason.

I'm not using that to say that he'd be as good in the regular season, just that he wasn't terrible in preseason.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#169 » by Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:18 am

Stats in preseason really just don't matter. I remember watching Griese and Orton and thinking "huh, well, looks like Rex is the best on the team still".

Then I realized that's a bad thing.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by CBS7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 am

I think at this point Orton would be better then Rex "45.2 QB rating" Grossman.
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#171 » by NLK » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:23 am

If Griese &/or Orton are worse, its time to put Urlacher or Hester as QB. I mean, forget the passing game, we'll just rush rush rush!
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by CBS7 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:26 am

Grossman through 3 games:

47-89
500 yards
1 TD
6 INT
52.8 completion %
5.6 yards/attempt
1.12 TD%
6.74 INT%
45.2 QB rating
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#173 » by Geddy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:28 am

I think it's time to call up Doug Flutie and give him one more chance in Chicago.
Dr. Lechter
Senior
And1: 0

Post#174 » by Dr. Lechter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:59 am

_CBS7_ wrote:I think at this point Orton would be better then Rex "45.2 QB rating" Grossman.

Glad to have you on board.

I still vote for Griese first. Either of our back ups are better than Grossman.

It is true that our receivers are playing badly and our line is too. But Grossman makes throws you can't and shouldn't make.

I almost feel sorry for Grossman. I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he can cut it. He can't help that he's short and he can't help that he's not mobile and these are the two absolute knocks on him.
Dr. Lechter
Senior

Post#175 » by Dr. Lechter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:04 am

_CBS7_ wrote:CUT HIM.

Sorry montree, you were right. He IS the worst starting QB in the NFL.

He's terrible, he's crap, and he makes the DEFENSE look worse.

I'm not going to be talking about NFL on this board until Lovie declares Griese as the starter and he actually plays.

Sorry montree?

How about sorry Lechter? :D

Who has been pounded on for this the most on this thread? I've been so infuriated by my treatment on this thread that I had to walk away just to keep from screaming.
Rodanlee
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by Rodanlee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 am

Orton!!!!!! Orton!!!!
Dr. Lechter
Senior

Post#177 » by Dr. Lechter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:31 am

dougthonus wrote:
Last year their only claim (and many have made this same claim on this thread) that "we won with Rex". Well, they "won with Kyle" too. It's a silly argument.

You're wrong. For a large portion of the season last year the Bears had the #1 offense in the NFL. There was more to Rex than simply "we won with Rex". For a very large part of the season Rex was absolutely outstanding.

Orton was never outstanding. He was never even average. He was one of the worst starting QBs I've ever seen play in the NFL for more than 4 consecutive games.

The offense could move the ball with Grossman, we averaged 325 yards of offense per game in 2006 vs 256 yards of offense per game in 2005. We averaged 10 more points per game in 2006 as well.

When you compare Rex and Kyle's numbers in the same year with the same team you get the same kind of completion percentage. Heck, Rex's very first pass in the Atlanta game (where the Bears were winning) is a pick that gets fumbled!!!!

You're comparing a 14.5 game sample to a 1.5 game sample, but even then, there was a huge difference in which you could immediately see our offense move the ball once Rex was in the game.

I just find the whole approach to be "Rex is our guy" no matter what the evidence says. Orton made horrible mistakes his rookie year. So did Alex Smith. He was freaky horrible and he was the number one overall pick.

Orton didn't show anything positive. It's not about mental mistakes. It's about the fact that he simply could not make the throws. He just would overthrow a guy standing still on a curl route and whip the ball 5 feet over his head routinely. He could not consistently make the throws needed to be an NFL QB.

I also don't understand how Rex can have games worse than Orton ever had and the "development card" is trotted out for him but not for Orton.

Grossman has shown the ability to make the throws and play at an NFL level. Orton at his best was still awful. Rex at his best was a very good NFL QB. It's like comparing Tyrus Thomas to Aaron Gray. They both may make mental mistakes, but if Tyrus could figure out how to avoid those he could be very good. Gray doesn't have the athleticism / skill to ever be really good.

At least Orton is 6'5" (right? I could be wrong). He can see his guys. Rex can't move and he's too short so he can't see.

Maybe we can get Tyson Chandler to play QB.

Doug, I really don't want to get in any more testosterone pissing matches where someone says: "You're wrong." or "You don't know what you're talking about."

Maybe it's just me, but that's rude. Prove that I'm wrong but don't just say it and expect me to believe it. I hate how these boards get down to "you're an idiot" tactics.

I disagree with how well Rex did in 06. He did well because all the teams in the beginning of the season were overplaying the run and Rex absolutely destroyed them on playaction. Once the league (see AZ) adjusted, Rex didn't see another string of "great" games again, if even one (I'm too lazy to look up the numbers). In fact, the trend has pointed down and down and down. Rex did well hitting mostly wide open receivers downfield because the defense bit on playaction.

I am not saying Rex never made a great throw. He did. Sometimes. But once the defenses (see AZ) started blitzing up the middle and obscuring his downfield vision along with not overselling on the run, Rex's days of greatness were done.

And again Doug. . .about Orton. . .the guy was a rookie. A rookie. Let's withhold judgement until we see him again against a 1st string defense. He might suck. He might not. But holding his rookie year against him doesn't seem fair. Rex's numbers bite and he's 5th year. Why hate Orton prematurely?

I've never understood why people have hated Orton and clung to Rex.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,988

Post#178 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Maybe it's just me, but that's rude. Prove that I'm wrong but don't just say it and expect me to believe it. I hate how these boards get down to "you're an idiot" tactics.

You said that Rex and Grossman were the same and that they were both only considered okay because they won. I didn't just say you are wrong, but provided a mountain of evidence as to why you were wrong. We had the #1 offense in the NFL with Rex for a considerable portion of the season. We scored 10 more points per game, we had 75 more yards of offense per game over the course of a full season. That's a MASSIVE difference.

I disagree with how well Rex did in 06. He did well because all the teams in the beginning of the season were overplaying the run and Rex absolutely destroyed them on playaction. Once the league (see AZ) adjusted, Rex didn't see another string of "great" games again, if even one (I'm too lazy to look up the numbers). In fact, the trend has pointed down and down and down. Rex did well hitting mostly wide open receivers downfield because the defense bit on playaction.

I'm not arguing that Rex is a good QB. So don't get me wrong. I'm arguing Orton sucked and that Rex was certainly better than Orton. Why couldn't Orton make these same throws that Rex did? Are you saying that against Orton teams were playing the pass, but against Rex they played the run? Orton had the same opportunities to make plays, but he simply could not make the throws.

I am not saying Rex never made a great throw. He did. Sometimes. But once the defenses (see AZ) started blitzing up the middle and obscuring his downfield vision along with not overselling on the run, Rex's days of greatness were done.

I agree. Rex sucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way defending Rex. Orton sucked far, far worse though. He could not make NFL throws. Rex has horrible decision making at times, and his confidence seems gone, but he also seems to be able to make NFL throws at times too.

And again Doug. . .about Orton. . .the guy was a rookie. A rookie. Let's withhold judgement until we see him again against a 1st string defense. He might suck. He might not. But holding his rookie year against him doesn't seem fair. Rex's numbers bite and he's 5th year. Why hate Orton prematurely?

Before last year, Rex had only played in 8 games. He didn't have a whole ton more game time than Orton when comparing their practical experience level and these seasons.

I think Orton stinks because his problems were not in recognizing coverage, schemes, or things that I'd consider rookie mistakes. His problem was he could not consistently deliver the ball accurately to wide open WRs when he correctly identified them if they were more than 10 yards down the field. I don't think that's something he'll ever be able to fix.

I'm all for giving him a shot if he's lighting up the practice field, but your argument that he's just as good as Grossman because the team won with both of them doesn't do it for me. Grossman in 2006 was WAY better than Orton in 2005. Granted, Grossman in 2007 is so dreadfully bad that I can't believe he hasn't been benched yet. I'm definitely high on giving Griese a shot.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#179 » by molepharmer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:50 pm

I actually thought Rex looked like "good-Rex" for the first three quarters. If Berrian hadn't dropped three easily catchable balls the game might have been different. The INT on MM's route at ~ the 15yd line could have been either RG or his fault - no way of knowing.

But then the 4thQ started, the Bears were down and Rex pressed, got flustered and threw a bad int in the Bears end of the field. I didn't like it but thought Bears were down and Rexy felt he needed to try something spectacular. It happens. Next possession, he throws the int on the first play (an out to MM); on a ball he should have never thrown where he should have easily seen the defender. That horrendous throw, plus the one arm tackle that he went down on 'cause he has no evasive ability, has pretty much completely removed any of the little faith I had in Rex.

Time for a change.....if for no other reason, than to give listless Bears team I watched on Sunday night a lift.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,988

Post#180 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:06 pm

I actually thought Rex looked like "good-Rex" for the first three quarters. If Berrian hadn't dropped three easily catchable balls the game might have been different. The INT on MM's route at ~ the 15yd line could have been either RG or his fault - no way of knowing.

That's true, the WRs did him no favors at all tonight early. As you go on to later explain, it doesn't make up for the rest of his night though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bears