Image Image Image Image

With the Bears looking to trade Bennett, there is almost no chance of Cutler having as good or better season than last

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

JerrySloan
Junior
And1: 54

With the Bears looking to trade Bennett, there is almost no chance of Cutler having as good or better season than last 

Post#1 » by JerrySloan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Trading Bennett virtually guarantees another non-playoff and probable losing season.

The only way this makes sense is if everyone from Pace to Fox to Fangio to McCaskey understand that the defense will take at least an entire year to start to be anything resembling dominant so there is no reason to keep a guy who is bent on trying to renegotiate the last two years of his existing contract and who, like Marshall, is somewhat of a disruptive figure on the team.

Looks like Forte - if they don't trade him as well, which I doubt they will - be carry even more of the offensive load.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Re: With the Bears looking to trade Bennett, there is almost no chance of Cutler having as good or better season than la 

Post#2 » by Chi town » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Doubt Bennett gets traded but if he does maybe Forte goes too.

Massive thread title as well!
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: With the Bears looking to trade Bennett, there is almost no chance of Cutler having as good or better season than la 

Post#3 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Stranger things have happened in the NFL. In no way am I saying the Bears are making the playoffs, but every year everyone thinks a team's going to be awful and they aren't. Virtually everyone has written off Cutler and the Bears can part ways with him after the season for almost nothing if they choose. Basically, there is no pressure. Everyone thinks the Bears & Cutler "suck" (and it's a generalization. I still think Cutler, while not great, is the best option the Bears have in 2015). Season's gotta play out.

This regime should stick to what they said. No long term deals and no new deals. If they (Forte especially) don't like it. Oblige him. No one's dumb enough to give a RB in today's NFL what he wants. And he can play the "I had my own schedule" card all he wants. We know what's up. He wants new paper. Good luck, Matt.

As for Bennett, trade him. He's been productive on paper, but nowhere near what was expected. And it's not Cutler's fault. But hey, he's always the scapegoat. Why not now?
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#4 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Next season is clearly a transition year with the new coaching staff and new front office.

That said, Bennett is in the last year of his contract, so if he goes he goes. Ditto for Forte, who's been a great soldier and will probably have his jersey retired, but he's got a ton of mileage and the new regime isn't going to invest in him. Would not be surprised if we draft a RB in the middle rounds.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#5 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:53 am

Bennett's signed through 2016. There's just no guaranteed money left. So he could be a very attractive trade chip this weekend. I don't expect anything to happen, but you never know.

Bears also have been told by the NFL they are not allowed to retire anymore numbers. Ditka was the last.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#6 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:36 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:Bennett's signed through 2016. There's just no guaranteed money left. So he could be a very attractive trade chip this weekend. I don't expect anything to happen, but you never know.

Bears also have been told by the NFL they are not allowed to retire anymore numbers. Ditka was the last.

Yeah, Forte's old by RB standards and in the last year of his deal. No way I'm offering him a new deal unless it's so team-friendly that he wouldn't possibly accept it.

Bennett does have 2 left, he just wants more. I don't really see any reason to cave if I'm the Bears.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#8 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:42 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Bennett and the 7th for NO's two 1st and a 2nd?

I'd be shocked if NO went for that. NO's two firsts alone are almost certainly worth more than the 7. Bennett would not come close to returning a 2nd.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#9 » by ADDinChicago » Fri May 1, 2015 3:18 am

NO also would probably want to draft a TE rather than acquire one. I think they would have moved Brees had someone called (he just makes too much). They're going to be ready to blow it up soon down there. Things are going to change with the Saints. Pace got out at the right time.
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#10 » by stl705 » Fri May 1, 2015 11:58 pm

Even with Bennett, I don't see how the Bears win more than 5 games next year with Cutler at the helm. Where have they gotten better? They lost 2 captions in the locker room. Lost a pro-bowl WR for a rookie (could be great, who knows). The only good, young player they have pre-draft is Fuller.

Where are these wins going to come from? Cutler is, and has been a failure at becoming a SB winning quarterback. 5 OCs in 7-8 years? Maybe it's not the coaches...
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#11 » by patryk7754 » Sat May 2, 2015 12:00 am

You guys think the seahawks would bite on Bennett? They still don't have a legit number 1 wr and his brother plays for them. Not to mention he fits the system
stl705
Senior

Post#12 » by stl705 » Sat May 2, 2015 12:03 am

patryk7754 wrote:You guys think the seahawks would bite on Bennett? They still don't have a legit number 1 wr and his brother plays for them. Not to mention he fits the system

They just traded their #1 pick for Jimmy Graham, so I would highly doubt that happens.
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#13 » by patryk7754 » Sat May 2, 2015 12:08 am

stl705 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:You guys think the seahawks would bite on Bennett? They still don't have a legit number 1 wr and his brother plays for them. Not to mention he fits the system

They just traded their #1 pick for Jimmy Graham, so I would highly doubt that happens.

I know. They could have to of the best TEs in the NFL and have great success, just like the Patriots did with Gronk and hernandez
stl705
Senior

Post#14 » by stl705 » Sat May 2, 2015 12:36 am

patryk7754 wrote:
stl705 wrote:

I know. They could have to of the best TEs in the NFL and have great success, just like the Patriots did with Gronk and hernandez

Never know, it is an interesting strategy, especially with Wilson at QB. If I was a Seahawks fan though, i'd rather use the resources in other areas though.
JerrySloan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#15 » by JerrySloan » Sat May 2, 2015 9:03 pm

Yeah, Forte's old by RB standards and in the last year of his deal. No way I'm offering him a new deal unless it's so team-friendly that he wouldn't possibly accept it.

Bennett does have 2 left, he just wants more. I don't really see any reason to cave if I'm the Bears.

I'm awfully tired of hearing this B.S. regarding Forte being old for a RB. He's missed only 5 out of 112 games. Payton played 190 games and took - as well as dished out - a lot more punishment than Forte has, year in, year out. There is ZERO reason, given how he trains and takes care of his body, just as Walter did, that he cannot have AT LEAST 4 more very productive years barring injury.

Forte, in his 7 years, has averaged 107 TOTYPG compared to Payton's 110.5. He's averaged 4.2YPC rushing to Payton's 4.4.

The only area - and it is significant - in which Payton was clearly superior was in scoring TDs.

Forte is, by far, the most disrespected Bears star in the more than half century I have followed them.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#16 » by RedBulls23 » Sat May 2, 2015 11:42 pm

Comparing Forte to arguably the best RB to ever play the game is ludicrous.

Talk about disrespect :noway:
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#17 » by ADDinChicago » Sun May 3, 2015 3:49 am

How old's Forte? 29. 30 during the coming season. That's old for a RB in today's NFL, so it's not BS.

No one's saying he's not very good right now, or a reliable player RIGHT NOW. It's the fact of the matter that no good GM is going to give him another big deal at his age. He could come out this season and have 2,000 yards rushing, 100 catches again, etc. He's never getting another big pay day unless he wants to go to an awful franchise.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#18 » by ADDinChicago » Sun May 3, 2015 3:52 am

stl705 wrote:Even with Bennett, I don't see how the Bears win more than 5 games next year with Cutler at the helm. Where have they gotten better? They lost 2 captions in the locker room. Lost a pro-bowl WR for a rookie (could be great, who knows). The only good, young player they have pre-draft is Fuller.

Where are these wins going to come from? Cutler is, and has been a failure at becoming a SB winning quarterback. 5 OCs in 7-8 years? Maybe it's not the coaches...

Why is it always on Cutler? I'm just curious.
stl705
Senior

Post#19 » by stl705 » Mon May 4, 2015 12:55 am

ADDinChicago wrote:
stl705 wrote:Even with Bennett, I don't see how the Bears win more than 5 games next year with Cutler at the helm. Where have they gotten better? They lost 2 captions in the locker room. Lost a pro-bowl WR for a rookie (could be great, who knows). The only good, young player they have pre-draft is Fuller.

Because Cutler turns the ball over far too much. Inconsistency is not a good attribute for a QB imo.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#20 » by ADDinChicago » Mon May 4, 2015 6:01 am

stl705 wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:

Because Cutler turns the ball over far too much. Inconsistency is not a good attribute for a QB imo.

I understand that, but again, why is it his fault solely to so many people? The offense was terrible because of everyone. The defense was putrid because of everyone. Yet, most of them get a pass.

Return to Chicago Bears