Moderator: chitownsports4ever

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,393

Re: Bears release G Matt Slauson and S Antrel Rolle 

Post#21 » by fleet » Mon May 2, 2016 5:00 am

RedBulls83 wrote:
fleet wrote:don't forget, they want to lock up Alshon too. The signing bonus will be Uuge

True, but wouldn't that clear up more cap space considering Alshon currently was slated to make 14 mil next year? Assuming his first year is around 8-9 or something like that.

I don't know about all that. How the deal would be structured, or how signing bonuses impact a team's bottom line. Long is also a candidate to extend, preferably as CSN says, at guard money before he maybe is moved to tackle.

There’s been no indication from Pace, Alshon Jeffery, Long or the agents of those players that these moves coincide with long-term contract extensions for both, which can be front-loaded with guaranteed money given the Bears’ comfortable salary cap situation right now. It would certainly provide a better clue but won’t necessarily wind up being the answer. Conspiracy theorists will say the team will try to extend Long at guard money before switching him to the more lucrative right tackle position. But all of Long’s public comments since the signing of free agent right tackle Bobby Massie point toward a desire to stay put. Pace’s reluctance to clarify that over the weekend provides the sense yet another move for Long could be coming — like it or not, kid.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/draft-hellos-and-sunday-farewells-csns-draft-central
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#22 » by RedBulls23 » Mon May 2, 2016 5:26 pm

I still think releasing Slauson is going to be a mistake. He's probably one of your top 3 linemen. Doesn't make much sense to me.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#23 » by transplant » Tue May 3, 2016 12:40 am

Slauson's release surprised me as well. They seem to be betting heavily on unproven players. Sure hope they're right.

Rolls was unreliable so no surprise there.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#24 » by City of Trees » Tue May 3, 2016 1:39 am

The popular reason amongst writers is the Bears want to get more athletic at Guard.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#25 » by Susan » Tue May 3, 2016 4:00 am

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/05/02/draft-the-16-best-picks-in-the-2016-nfl-draft/

PFF rates Whitehair as the 2nd best value pick of the draft. I can live with letting Slauson go if Whitehair is all that.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Re: Bears release G Matt Slauson and S Antrel Rolle 

Post#26 » by City of Trees » Tue May 3, 2016 4:58 am

Susan wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/05/02/draft-the-16-best-picks-in-the-2016-nfl-draft/

PFF rates Whitehair as the 2nd best value pick of the draft. I can live with letting Slauson go if Whitehair is all that.

I get what you're saying but Whitehair is no absolute.

PFF's list is based on an unreliable projection ranking .... Value here is unknown.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#27 » by CjayC » Wed May 4, 2016 1:16 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:I still think releasing Slauson is going to be a mistake. He's probably one of your top 3 linemen. Doesn't make much sense to me.

He said it was because of an injury flag. I liked the guy while he was here, but if they believe his injuries would limit how they want to play Football then I trust what they know.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#28 » by TNBT » Thu May 5, 2016 11:10 am

Rolle never panned out here, so cutting him loose was no surprise. I was pretty surprised with Slauson though. It just doesn't really seem to make a whole lot of sense. I mean why would they cut him for cap space when we already had about $20+ million available? Why would they cut him because of his age but then sign a 33 year old Ramirez? Why would they cut him because of chemistry issues when his teammates unanimously praised his attitude and work ethic?

All I can think of as a reason that might make sense is that Slauson's abilities don't suit the way they want the line to play (i.e. More athletic) and/or that they're really high on Whitehair and want to get him as many minutes and starts as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Chicago Bears