Image Image Image Image

OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#1 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:47 pm

I think a large portion of Bulls fans are also Bears fans. I've heard Garoppolo's name attached to a lot of trade rumors with the Bears. Some might seem a bit excessive. I just wanted to ask what would you offer to bring Garoppolo home and do you think he's the real deal.
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#2 » by bulliedog8 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:52 pm

No more than a 4th rounder. Would rather take my chances on Desean watson with the 1st over garoppolo. If anything, they need to acquire more draft picks than send them out. Dont want a Matt Cassell 2.0 to happen to the bears.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,893

Post#3 » by biggestbullsfan » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:03 pm

He has alot of suitors. I think the Browns would give up one of their two Firsts for him.

I think he can be a star QB. But the fun of a rookie QB is also exciting and highly risky.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,778

Post#4 » by jc23 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:05 pm

not a big football guy but i do know your quarterback needs to be a leader of men. I would have gotten rid of cutler years ago, even if it was a buyout.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#5 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:15 pm

I feel like it's close to impossible to get a star unless you draft him. He seems like a good QB. But giving up first? Yikes.
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#6 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:20 pm

jc23 wrote:not a big football guy but i do know your quarterback needs to be a leader of men. I would have gotten rid of cutler years ago, even if it was a buyout.

Cutler is the football version of Melo....drafted in Denver, two big market teams looking for a star traded for them, high profile wife, dumb decision makers, bad leaders, smug smiles, pretenders as elite players and you never win anything with them as leaders.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#7 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:22 pm

Just remember the last time we traded a bunch of draft picks for a highly touted QB......

and then think about how we just watched one two guys we jettisoned start in the Super Bowl because their coach found the right way to play them. (McClellan and Bennett) Patriots can make any player look like a HOF canadate. Cutler could have won the SB playing for Belechick.

Just take Watson or Kaiser with that #3 pick, sign an OL to protect him and let the kid develop.

They draft either of those guys I'm excited. I don't want Garoppolo.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#8 » by rtblues » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:25 pm

Not much, this is a guy that's has had less than 100 passes attempted in the NFL.
What he has done to be considered a valuable trade asset?
4th round pick, maybe a 3rd round pick, no more.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
TheSmooth
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#9 » by TheSmooth » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:36 pm

3rd rounder this year. If they say no, then just keep our picks and look for the best QB available in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Respek.
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#10 » by chrispatrick » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:01 pm

Most NFL people have a 2nd or 3rd round grade on Watson. That's not to say that NFL people haven't been plenty wrong before, but I don't think this is the year to take a QB at #3 as it's a pretty weak class, especially if a game changing defensive lineman like Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen are available. It wouldn't surprise me if those two go 1 and 2 though (even the QB needy Browns probably won't pass on one of those lineman given the talent disparity between them and the QBs).

Watson may well work out, but make no mistake, he's an enormous reach at #3 based purely on scouts grades. As desperate as the Bears are for a QB, this isn't the year to draft one at #3.

As for Jimmy G., the problem is that you have to start paying him big money after next year. So not only are you committing draft picks, you have to commit to him as your QB for the next few years given the massive financial investment you'll be making. If you're confident he's the guy then of course that's worth it. Given that, I'm not sure I trade more than a 2nd round plus mid-round pick for him (probably not 2nd and 3rd). I'm not sure that's enough to get it done.

The Bears QB problem is one that doesn't have a great solution right now.
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#11 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, there's 0 chance that the Pats give him up for a 3rd or 4th rounder. They'll at least recoup the 2nd round pick they used to draft him, possibly/probably more. The latest I heard was that the Bears would give up a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. Seems like a high price for a team that's really not even close to competing, but like the poster above mentioned - this is one of the worst QB classes in a while and if Garppolo actually pans out that would be a steal.

The Cutler comparison is irrelevant. They are two completely different players and the price is also significantly different.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#12 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:27 pm

The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

And, to build off of this further, outside of Brees (who was injured) there is rarely a good QB ever traded in the NFL. If a team is looking to move a QB there's a reason why, they aren't that good.

I'd rather find a QB through the draft than get the next Matt Flynn.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#13 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:41 pm

Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.
chrispatrick
Starter

Post#14 » by chrispatrick » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:48 pm

BigUps wrote:The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

And, to build off of this further, outside of Brees (who was injured) there is rarely a good QB ever traded in the NFL. If a team is looking to move a QB there's a reason why, they aren't that good.

I don't think it smells bad. Brady has consistently maintained he wants to play 3+ years and Garoppolo's contract expires after next year. Therefore, in order to retain him, they'd have to pay their backup QB a minimum of $18 millionish, which simply isn't an option.

And while Brissett was fine, he didn't really do anything, they had an absurdly conservative gameplan with him so he didn't really show anything (for better or for worse).

I'm not saying Jimmy G. will be great, I'm just saying the Patriots are in a position where they pretty much have to trade him, regardless of how talented he is. That's why he's an exception to the "no team would trade a worthwhile QB" logic.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#15 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:52 pm

1. I want Tyrod Taylor. Doesn't turn the ball over. Makes plays with his feet and moves the chains. He also throws a great deep ball and would maximize Alshon. Just sign him as IMO he will be a FA. No way Bills pay him 31M guaranteed that he is owed if not released.

2. I don't want Jimmy G but I'm not giving up more than two 2nds. I'd rather trade back to 7-12, and pick up a late 1st for Jimmy G.I think he will be a good Alex Smith level of QB. But I think Tyrod is already there and he's proven. He doesn't cost a 1st either.

3. Best Case offseason for me is trade back inside top 10 and take Hooker or Solomon Thomas, grab CB Desmond King late 1st, and get a good TE. Sign Tyrod and make the playoffs next season with a top 5 defense, strong running game, and winning the turnover battle.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#16 » by JohnnyTapwater » Thu Feb 9, 2017 5:03 pm

3rd rounder

I wouldn't be too pressed for him yet...I'd tighten up the secondary with Adams in the 1st. round and the highest rated CB in the 2nd....I would also do work in FA.... and keep an eye on Connor Shaw. He was pretty good in preseason before he got hurt...
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#17 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 5:39 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.

So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#18 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 5:42 pm

Honestly, I would be willing to give up 2nd round pick or two. Then still draft another QB in this draft as well.

This FO and organization needs to stop neglecting the QB position and become more proactive in addressing it. I mean even franchises that have elite QBs seem to draft one every season or so, yet our FO hasn't done that in the past 3-4 years.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
chrispatrick
Starter

Post#19 » by chrispatrick » Thu Feb 9, 2017 5:59 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:Honestly, I would be willing to give up 2nd round pick or two. Then still draft another QB in this draft as well.

This FO and organization needs to stop neglecting the QB position and become more proactive in addressing it. I mean even franchises that have elite QBs seem to draft one every season or so, yet our FO hasn't done that in the past 3-4 years.

While I'd agree in general that they need to start addressing the QB position, this doesn't look like the year to do it. It'd be awfully bad market timing to choose this as the year to invest picks in a QB. The Bears issue is they've never drafted high enough to get a top prospect until this year, where there are no top prospects available.

Also, I don't blame them for not throwing mid-round picks at QBs. The hit rate is beyond terrible and Dak Prescott was the exception.

In fact, looking at the full decade prior from 2006-2015, 64 QBs were drafted in rounds 4-7. The ONLY ones who have shown they can play are below... and remember, this is the cream of the 64 man crop:

AJ McCarron - you wouldn't want to start him
Tyrod Taylor - Great pick, but didn't even help the team who drafted him as he was drafted by the Ravens
Trevor Siemian - meh
Kirk Cousins - The one guy on this list who really helped the team who drafted him
Matt Flynn - yuck
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#20 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 9, 2017 6:30 pm

chrispatrick wrote:
BigUps wrote:The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

I don't think it smells bad. Brady has consistently maintained he wants to play 3+ years and Garoppolo's contract expires after next year. Therefore, in order to retain him, they'd have to pay their backup QB a minimum of $18 millionish, which simply isn't an option.

And while Brissett was fine, he didn't really do anything, they had an absurdly conservative gameplan with him so he didn't really show anything (for better or for worse).

I'm not saying Jimmy G. will be great, I'm just saying the Patriots are in a position where they pretty much have to trade him, regardless of how talented he is. That's why he's an exception to the "no team would trade a worthwhile QB" logic.

I get all of this, but at the end of the day there is zero reason for the Patriots to trade him this year. They can keep him and move him next year mid-season if they want to. They can also sign him and overpay a backup QB if they want too for a year or two if thats how long Brady lasts.

If they thought he was the next great one, they wouldn't get rid of him. Its really that simple. As a Bears fan, you know how hard it is to find a good QB. You just don't get rid of them.

Return to Chicago Bears