Coaching search

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Coaching search 

Post#41 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:09 am

Vikings OC is someone that interests me too.

With all the injuries they had on offense, and he still found a way to get them rolling.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,109

Post#42 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:35 pm

Susan wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Didn't Pete Carrol struggle in his first stint?

Pats went:

1997: 10-6
1998: 9-7
1999: 8-8

He also coached the Jets in 1994 to a 6-10 record.

yeah. the perception was that Pete struggled really bad but he finished with a record around .500 if i remember right
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#43 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 4:28 am

I don't get the Josh M cDaniels hype. Seriously. Yeah, he may be much better his 2nd time around, but this idea that a franchise would bend for him is wild to me.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#44 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 1:51 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:I don't get the Josh M cDaniels hype. Seriously. Yeah, he may be much better his 2nd time around, but this idea that a franchise would bend for him is wild to me.

I’ve never heard that McDaniels would want full control. Where’s that coming from?
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#45 » by transplant » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yes, he said the Vikes' DC.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#46 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 2:55 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:I don't get the Josh M cDaniels hype. Seriously. Yeah, he may be much better his 2nd time around, but this idea that a franchise would bend for him is wild to me.

I’ve never heard that McDaniels would want full control. Where’s that coming from?

All I keep hearing is that he wants to bring his own guy with him for GM. And control of the 53 man roster.
transplant
RealGM

Post#47 » by transplant » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks. This from the article:

While familiarity will be a big value to Pace, his (Saints' OC Pete Carmichael Jr) demeanor is eerily similar to that of former Bears head coach Marc Trestman and speaking with people connected to the Saints organization, some wonder if he can truly lead a locker room of 53 players.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

transplant
RealGM

Post#48 » by transplant » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:28 pm

According to the SCORE's website, there are 6 known candidates:

McDaniels, Shurmer, DiFilippo, Nagy, Edwards and Panthers DC, Steve Wilks.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/01/03/bears-request-interviews-2-more-matt-nagy-george-edwards/

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#49 » by Susan » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:50 pm

transplant wrote:

Thanks. This from the article:

While familiarity will be a big value to Pace, his (Saints' OC Pete Carmichael Jr) demeanor is eerily similar to that of former Bears head coach Marc Trestman and speaking with people connected to the Saints organization, some wonder if he can truly lead a locker room of 53 players.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I saw him on Youtube and I felt the same thing but I've got two counterpoints to that.

Trestman was moving around after 2 years in every place he was. Carmichael has been with the Saints for a decade. That could be because he fits perfectly behind Peyton or because he's just a decent dude overall.

That locker room that Trestman had to manage was significantly more troublesome than our current group. Marshall, Bennett and Cutler to go with vets who were all Lovie guys who had massive success with Lovie was absolutely more difficult to manage than our relatively young locker room.

John DeFilippo seems to be a rockstar personality wise though.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#50 » by Axxo » Wed Jan 3, 2018 6:57 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:

All I keep hearing is that he wants to bring his own guy with him for GM. And control of the 53 man roster.

I heard the same Red. Makes sense, b/c Belichick is a control freak. If Josh is building a patriots system he would be the same way.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#51 » by Axxo » Wed Jan 3, 2018 7:22 pm

transplant wrote:According to the SCORE's website, there are 6 known candidates:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/01/03/bears-request-interviews-2-more-matt-nagy-george-edwards/

Interesting interview on "in the loop" last night. They interviewed Derrick Gunn, Eagles insider. They asked if Defilippo would be a good fit at HC. He said in his opinion that would be a big jump for him right now and another year in philly for seasoning would be to his benefit. When asked what team he would be best suited for he said Oakland or Detroit b/c they have more pieces in place which would ease the transition. I think a more experienced canidate would better for the bears.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#52 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 10:59 pm

Out of the people the Bears have shown interest in my top guys are Shurmur and Fangio. These two are unquestionably elite coordinators over a very long time, regardless of the roster or the situation in general, and they seem to be extremely popular among their players.

I would also add Toub and Harbaugh to that seem tier if they become viable options.

I think Defillipo is the most interesting out if the rest because of his personality and energy, but it might be too early for him. That would be a huge risk, and I'm not sure if the Bears are willing to make that type of gamble.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#53 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:34 am

Fangio is getting an interview. The only issue I have with Fangio becoming HC is that we'll miss out on bringing in one of these top offensive guys. Maybe we can still bring inDefillipo as OC. We'll have to see if he can call plays.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,402

Post#54 » by fleet » Thu Jan 4, 2018 7:57 am

transplant wrote:According to the SCORE's website, there are 6 known candidates:

I gotta tell you, after Lovie, Trestman, and Fox, this city and franchise should be ready for some intensity. Other than Harbaugh, I'm jumping on the DeFilippo bandwagon. He's been great for Wentz. Let him get his hands on Trubisky now. The entire focus should bring a young inspiring coach that can design a team around Mitch. This is the type of coach that could start trending more in the NFL. Get in on the ground floor right now. And Baldy sold me with this quote:

“(DeFilippo) is the guy,” analyst Brian Baldinger said before the Bears-Eagles game in November when asked if there’s an up-and-coming candidate in the vein of Rams coach Sean McVay. “Sharp, sharp, really sharp. Like he’s the smartest guy in the room. He would be unbelievable with a young quarterback. Everywhere he’s been Flip has been good. High energy, nonstop. If you’re looking, he’s head coach material.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-john-defilippo-interview-20180101-story,amp.html
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#55 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 1:46 pm

I don’t care who the HC is as long as we keep Fangio and bring in a good player caller. Has this team ever had a good play caller outside of Gase?
Axxo
Analyst

Post#56 » by Axxo » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:03 pm

fleet wrote:

I gotta tell you, after Lovie, Trestman, and Fox, this city and franchise should be ready for some intensity. Other than Harbaugh, I'm jumping on the DeFilippo bandwagon. He's been great for Wentz. Let him get his hands on Trubisky now. The entire focus should bring a young inspiring coach that can design a team around Mitch. This is the type of coach that could start trending more in the NFL. Get in on the ground floor right now. And Baldy sold me with this quote:

“(DeFilippo) is the guy,” analyst Brian Baldinger said before the Bears-Eagles game in November when asked if there’s an up-and-coming candidate in the vein of Rams coach Sean McVay. “Sharp, sharp, really sharp. Like he’s the smartest guy in the room. He would be unbelievable with a young quarterback. Everywhere he’s been Flip has been good. High energy, nonstop. If you’re looking, he’s head coach material.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-john-defilippo-interview-20180101-story,amp.html

Last time they went for a really smart coach they hired Trestman. Wasnt that the talk about him? His advanced football mind.... McVay is a rarity for a reason.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#57 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:40 pm

Seems like Fangio is gone unless he gets the HC job. I like Fangio, but you better have one hell of an OC to make that work. I'd rather do the opposite and prioritize an offensive mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#58 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:17 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Seems like Fangio is gone unless he gets the HC job. I like Fangio, but you better have one hell of an OC to make that work. I'd rather do the opposite and prioritize an offensive mind.

what makes you think he's gone?
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#59 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:45 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Seems like Fangio is gone unless he gets the HC job. I like Fangio, but you better have one hell of an OC to make that work. I'd rather do the opposite and prioritize an offensive mind.

what makes you think he's gone?

Just seems like they were very mum on Fangio's future and there were rumors of other teams wanting him.
transplant
RealGM

Post#60 » by transplant » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:16 pm

These coaching searches are crazy times. Because we care so damn much, we end up forming opinions based on very little information. I think most of us form these opinions based on the perceived style of the candidates. The teams seeking a new coach have the benefit of reference checking and extensive interviewing, but since they're usually interviewing candidates who have never done the job (or done the job earlier in their careers but failed), there's an inherent and significant risk of failure.

All of the candidates worry me. Di Filippo appears to be the most charismatic, but least experienced, Shurmer's the safe pick with loads of experience, a lot of it pretty meh and Nagy is somewhere in-between. I've backed off McDaniels because I agree that he'll likely be seen by the Bears as too demanding power-wise. Though Pace claims that he's open to hiring a coach from the defensive side, I'm afraid I don't believe him, so no Fangio, Wilks or Edwards. Lastly, after the Trestman comparison above, I can't bring myself to mention the Saints OC by name, but no thanks.

Return to Chicago Bears