Moderator: chitownsports4ever

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: Coaching search 

Post#81 » by transplant » Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:45 pm

Axxo wrote:
transplant wrote:
Axxo wrote:In my mind this team can't afford a step back. The new staff needs to take the next step. Anything other than a playoff berth next season is a failed effort. Whichever one of these candidates can pull this off while continuing to build a strong locker room is the right guy. Opinions will differ on which guys has the ability to do this.

Really, so much of it depends on health. If the Bears get hit by injuries next season like they did in the past couple seasons, they'll be bad again and the head coaching hire won't matter much.

If the Bears were to make the playoffs next season, I'd be completely surprised and of course delighted. IMO, it's OK to hope for it, but unreasonable to expect it.

While I do hear you...injuries are apart of the NFL. The buffer for this incidence is depth in the roster construction. Whats the expectation for this team if making the jump from rebuild to competitor isn't considered realistic? The eagles and Rams did it in a couple years and Bears will be in year 4 next time around. How many more years of losing should bears fans consider acceptable?
IMO, you can try to build a winner or you can react to your fans/media...hard to do both.

My only take on these is that it's clear that Shurmer is a Andy Reid guy and it's hard to see any particular mentoring influence on DiFilippo. By the way, is being an Andy Reid disciple a good thing?
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#82 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:08 pm

transplant wrote:
Axxo wrote:
transplant wrote:
Really, so much of it depends on health. If the Bears get hit by injuries next season like they did in the past couple seasons, they'll be bad again and the head coaching hire won't matter much.

If the Bears were to make the playoffs next season, I'd be completely surprised and of course delighted. IMO, it's OK to hope for it, but unreasonable to expect it.

While I do hear you...injuries are apart of the NFL. The buffer for this incidence is depth in the roster construction. Whats the expectation for this team if making the jump from rebuild to competitor isn't considered realistic? The eagles and Rams did it in a couple years and Bears will be in year 4 next time around. How many more years of losing should bears fans consider acceptable?
IMO, you can try to build a winner or you can react to your fans/media...hard to do both.

My only take on these is that it's clear that Shurmer is a Andy Reid guy and it's hard to see any particular mentoring influence on DiFilippo. By the way, is being an Andy Reid disciple a good thing?

I agree with what your saying. George M did tell Pace that he would be rated by the number of wins. So Pace needs to start winning.

For Any Reid: yes, his line of coaching is the same stream used to develop Brett Favre.

Also:
"Assistant coaches under Mike Holmgren who have become NFL head coaches: Jon Gruden, Marty Mornhinweg, Mike Sherman, Andy Reid, Pat Shurmur, Dick Jauron, Jim Zorn, Steve Mariucci and Ray Rhodes."
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#83 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:26 pm

Shurmur is hard to evaluate. His work in St. Louis and Cleveland weren't good. He found success in Philadelphia with Chip Kelly but didn't turn that into another HC job. Minnesota is definitely his most impressive work given what Case Keenum was a year ago and how Minnesota's offense struggled under Norv Turner.

It doesn't really strike me as a great hire though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Axxo
Analyst

Post#84 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 8, 2018 3:16 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Shurmur is hard to evaluate. His work in St. Louis and Cleveland weren't good. He found success in Philadelphia with Chip Kelly but didn't turn that into another HC job. Minnesota is definitely his most impressive work given what Case Keenum was a year ago and how Minnesota's offense struggled under Norv Turner.

Which were you looking at?
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Coaching search 

Post#85 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 8, 2018 3:55 pm

Axxo wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Shurmur is hard to evaluate. His work in St. Louis and Cleveland weren't good. He found success in Philadelphia with Chip Kelly but didn't turn that into another HC job. Minnesota is definitely his most impressive work given what Case Keenum was a year ago and how Minnesota's offense struggled under Norv Turner.

Admittedly, my personal contribution isn't good on this one because I'm not that high on most of the candidates and I want to retain Fangio as DC.

Carmichael intrigues me. Toub is interesting. But I'm not big on the ones we've interviewed. Shurmur might end up being the best of the bunch, but I'm not sure what that means going forward. Has he developed a young QB from scratch before? Keenum isn't good but he's a different case since he's been in the league for a while now.

Axxo
Analyst

Re: RE: Re: Coaching search 

Post#86 » by Axxo » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:37 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Axxo wrote:

Admittedly, my personal contribution isn't good on this one because I'm not that high on most of the candidates and I want to retain Fangio as DC.

Carmichael intrigues me. Toub is interesting. But I'm not big on the ones we've interviewed. Shurmur might end up being the best of the bunch, but I'm not sure what that means going forward. Has he developed a young QB from scratch before? Keenum isn't good but he's a different case since he's been in the league for a while now.

He worked with Sam Bradford as a rookie as the OC.
transplant
RealGM

Post#87 » by transplant » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:57 pm

Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#88 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:05 pm

Not sure how to feel about the hire. Hoping for the best from a Reid disciple.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#89 » by Susan » Mon Jan 8, 2018 11:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Hopefully we get good news on Fangio here today.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#90 » by CjayC » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:00 am

Good I hope Pettine gets it We desperately need some consistency where we can get it. Cant keep rolling over all of the staff, especially the one's that did a good job.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#91 » by CjayC » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:04 am

transplant wrote:My only take on these is that it's clear that Shurmer is a Andy Reid guy and it's hard to see any particular mentoring influence on DiFilippo. By the way, is being an Andy Reid disciple a good thing?

Yes working under him seems to be a great thing.

Andy Reid 2001 Eagles coaching staff

QB Coach - Brad Childress
TE Coach - Pat Shurmur
DB Coach - Leslie Frazier
Asst. DB Coach - Steve Spagnuolo
LB Coach - Ron Rivera
Defense QC - Sean Mcdermott
Special Teams coach - John Harbaugh
Special Teams QC - Dave Toub

I believe 8 current NFL coaches have been under him at one point which is ridiculous and it might be more if Shurmur gets hired. Its a KO especially if you want to compare it to Belichick's coaching tree.
transplant
RealGM

Post#92 » by transplant » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:35 am

Been listening to the radio most of the day and I've yet to hear anything other than a glowing endorsement of Nagy. And no one compared him to Trestman.

Axxo
Analyst

Post#93 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:46 am

transplant wrote:Been listening to the radio most of the day and I've yet to hear anything other than a glowing endorsement of Nagy. And no one compared him to Trestman.

Which guy were you hoping for again Trasplant?
Axxo
Analyst

Post#94 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:59 am

transplant wrote:Been listening to the radio most of the day and I've yet to hear anything other than a glowing endorsement of Nagy. And no one compared him to Trestman.

All I got
transplant
RealGM

Post#95 » by transplant » Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:50 am

Axxo wrote:

Initially, I wanted McDaniels, but backed off on this.

The thing I liked about Fox was that he had successfully done the job before. This couldn't be said of any of the guys the Bears were interviewing, so I was going to be nervous with whoever they hired. Still, I'm fine with Nagy and will probably start building a statue for him by the end of the week.

Axxo
Analyst

Post#96 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:59 am

transplant wrote:
Axxo wrote:

Initially, I wanted McDaniels, but backed off on this.

The thing I liked about Fox was that he had successfully done the job before. This couldn't be said of any of the guys the Bears were interviewing, so I was going to be nervous with whoever they hired. Still, I'm fine with Nagy and will probably start building a statue for him by the end of the week.

LOL..ok. Kinda strange I'm the one not criticizing the hire (for the most part) and having to talk most of you guys down :lol:

Return to Chicago Bears