Image Image Image Image

Bears off-season moves

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Re: Bears off-season moves 

Post#101 » by dice » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 pm

according to spotrac, amos is worth about 8.1 mil a year and bears were paying him 2 last season ($6.1 mil positive value contract). they also say clinton-dix is worth 9.6 mil and he just signed for $3.5 (also $6.1 positive value). so the bears theoretically don't miss a beat value-wise at that position

team loses value coming off the rookie deals of callahan ($6.4 mil player on $1.9 mil deal last season) and witzmann ($4.6 mil player on $0.4 mil deal last season), which will need to be replaced by productive rookies to bring the team back to last year's strength (assuming no internal improvement/decline)

only other bears player valuated was trubisky. $22.9 mil value on $7.9 mil deal ($15 mil positive value). best value contract in the league, of course, is mahomes. $33.5 mil value on $4.5 mil deal ($29 mil positive value)

note also that the strong value contract that mack was on last year is now gone as his salary takes a big jump
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#102 » by Axxo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 pm

dice wrote:according to spotrac, amos is worth about 8.1 mil a year and bears were paying him 2 last season ($6.1 mil positive value contract). they also say clinton-dix is worth 9.6 mil and he just signed for $3.5 (also $6.1 positive value). so the bears theoretically don't miss a beat value-wise at that position

team loses value coming off the rookie deals of callahan ($6.4 mil player on $1.9 mil deal last season) and witzmann ($4.6 mil player on $0.4 mil deal last season), which will need to be replaced by productive rookies to bring the team back to last year's strength (assuming no internal improvement/decline)

only other bears player valuated was trubisky. $22.9 mil value on $7.9 mil deal ($15 mil positive value). best value contract in the league, of course, is mahomes. $33.5 mil value on $4.5 mil deal ($29 mil positive value)

Good post 8-)
Axxo
Analyst

Post#103 » by Axxo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 pm

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#104 » by NZB2323 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:55 am

I don’t get the Jordan Howard trade. I guess we like Cohen, but it’s nice to have both of them, Howard is only 24, and with Cohen he doesn’t have that much wear on him.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#105 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:25 am

I guess they think Mike Davis is better. I'm just disappointed we didn't get a pick in this year's draft.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#106 » by Axxo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Must be a cash saving move. A 6th rnd pick in 2020 for him is dirt cheap. Mia did the same the trade with DAL for R. Quinn as a cash saving move.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,516

Post#107 » by panthermark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:57 pm

Seems like an odd move...a 6th rounder? Do not like.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#108 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 3:21 pm

The Bears re-signed FS Deandre Houston-Carson, OLB Aaron Lynch, and LS Patrick Scales.

That makes K the only real hole left on the roster. We're definitely setup to take best player available in the draft. We have two 2nd round picks next year, so I can see us using one of those in a trade package to get into the 2nd round this year if someone really good is available.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#109 » by City of Trees » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:45 am

Alexander Mattison is a good all around back. Not too many backs in this draft as good as him.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#110 » by transplant » Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:53 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I don’t get the Jordan Howard trade. I guess we like Cohen, but it’s nice to have both of them, Howard is only 24, and with Cohen he doesn’t have that much wear on him.

Yeah, they like Cohen...a lot, but it's more that they don't like Howard. It appears that Nagy wants all his skill position players to be explosive guys who can score on any play. Howard is a guy who can get you the tough inside yard or two. Nagy is as likely as not to use Akiem Hicks in those situations...Nagy's a madman. Frankly, we can trust him or we can grumble. For now, I'm trusting him.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Axxo
Analyst

Post#111 » by Axxo » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:43 pm

Media outlets have reported that although Jordan Howard had nearly 1000 yards rushing, in Nagy’s gap scheme he was only avg 3.7 yards per carry. He also wasn’t exploding through the holes and evading tackles in space. Although he could and did catches passes overall he was limited and ended up being most effective on 3rd down situations, but this also made the offense more predictable to opposing defenses. Pederson runs more zone scheme ergo his usage of Lagarrett Blount which is why they feel they have a place for Howard. I still wonder though if Nagy is married to scheme in some ways eventhough he is creative. If you need a certain type of RB (i.e. gap scheme back) to run your offense isn’t that the same thing as being married to scheme even if you are creative within that scheme?
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#112 » by transplant » Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Not much activity here, but I thought I'd just note that the Bears announced several position changes recently:

- James Daniels and Cody Whitehair are switching positions...Daniels to center and Whitehair to left guard. I like it. I remember when Whitehair was drafted. He was a guard who could play some center. Daniels was a center who could play some guard. What clinched it for me was when Olin Kreutz said that he thought Whitehair could be an occasional Pro Bowl selection at C, but Daniels could be a long-term All-Pro at the position. There's no one's opinion on this that I respect more than Kreutz unless it's Bears OL coach Harry Hiestand, and on this move, they agree.

- Swing tackle Bradley Sowell is switching to TE. Sowell impressed as a receiver on goal line trick plays last year. He's listed at 6-7 312 so I have to imagine he'll need to slim down some. Though I've heard several observers say that this change makes it less likely that Sowell will make the team, they do need an in-line (Y) tight end. I like this move too.

- Taquan Mizzell is being moved from RB to WR. Mizzell is 5-10 185. This has Josh Bellamy special team replacement written all over it. As a RB, Mizzell was pure meh. Though Bellamy improved slightly as a receiver last season, his play as a wideout in previous seasons made him one of my absolute least favorite Bears. I wish Mizzell good luck, but admit that I'm glad to see him out of the RB rotation. This one feels like more of a longshot than Sowell.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#113 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:20 pm

Seeing the playmaking we added on the back end with HAHA and an improvement in time spent by Smith and a training camp with Mack I expect the defense to actually be better this year.

I loved our D- Coordinator before, but I'm excited to see a more aggressive defense. We might give up more big plays, but we'll have a better chance at big plays ourselves. Imagine an attacking defense with multiple blitzes from different spots with the guys we have on the line.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Axxo
Analyst

Post#114 » by Axxo » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:22 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Seeing the playmaking we added on the back end with HAHA and an improvement in time spent by Smith and a training camp with Mack I expect the defense to actually be better this year.

I loved our D- Coordinator before, but I'm excited to see a more aggressive defense. We might give up more big plays, but we'll have a better chance at big plays ourselves. Imagine an attacking defense with multiple blitzes from different spots with the guys we have on the line.

The day of training camp I was there he lined up Hicks, Mack (hand in the dirt) and Floyd standing all on 1 side... needless to say the oline was obliterated
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#115 » by 2018C3 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:04 pm

I found this article last week. David Motgomery is a little faster than the combine results.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/David-Montgomery-NFL-Draft-40-yard-dash-time-improve-Iowa-State-Pro-Day-130548970/

He dropped his combine results 4.63 in the 40 down to 4.57. I have high hopes for this kid. I think he could still drop another 5 pounds or so and maintain his strength,

In other interviews I have seen the way he talks, and his confidense in himself reminds me alittle bit of a young Derrick Rose. I'm not saying he will have the same success, but I think he comes from a similar mindset. (Soft spoken, humble but not cocky, confident in the work he puts in, and just wants to win).

In another interview he was asked about preasure to perform. His respounce was "I dont feel preasure, preasure busts pipes and also makes diamionds. I'm a diamond in the ruff". If you spend sometime watching his interviews, and what others who are close to him have to say, you will come away impressed.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is driven by success and determination to max out his potential. As fans thats everything we can hope for.

Return to Chicago Bears