Image Image Image Image

Bears Preseason

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Bears Preseason 

Post#1 » by mack2354 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:01 am

I figured there should be a thread for the preseason even though the starters haven't played much yet. Something is better than nothing right?

I was skeptical of Montgomery when we drafted him but he impressed me after the first preseason game. He reminds me of a bigger stronger, slightly slower Cohen. Nagy wants his running backs to be both RB's and WR's. Montgomery fits this description alot better than Howard did. Davis I think got the nod over Montgomery out of respect for him being a veteran. Montgomery outshined Davis this first game and I won't be surprised if that trend continues, then bumping Montgomery up to 2nd in the depth chart.

Chase Daniel looked great out there. I think it's a blessing having him as our back-up. His solid play is going to help the coaches evaluate the rest of the 2nd/3rd string guys alot better as opposed to some other teams back-up QB's who are inexperienced and causes the entire offense to be held back.

Duck and Woods looked like football players but none of the reserves on the defensive side looked like they were ready to challenge our starters for their snaps. Hopefully some gems emerge in the next few games. I don't like watching the Bears lose even if it is just preseason.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Re: Bears Preseason 

Post#2 » by 2018C3 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:31 pm

You are spot on with, David Montgomery. I love his attitude, and think he has what it takes to one day be succesful. I was also happy with what I saw from are second running back selected, (Kerrith Whyte). He missed some training camp with injuries and I was surprised to see him play in last nights game. I hope he makes the tean. If he does Im not surewhere he will find minutes, but his speed intrigues me.

David is the guy to root for this rookie season, but I also hope to see a few more reps for Kerrith Whyte in the next few preseason games, and see if he might be able to stick around in some sort of limited role. When he was drafted I initialy saw him as a special teams prospect whos speed may become usefull.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#3 » by transplant » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Whyte is going to have to show himself to be a stud special-teamer or he’s looking at the practice squad. Montgomery, Davis and Cohen are locks.

All 3 of the RBs are Nagy kind of guys. Gabriel was an occasional running back last season, but I figure Patterson will get most of those carries this season cause he’s better at it.

Coverage teams didn’t look very good, but I’m not concerned. All of the main special teamers are playing heavy regular minutes in the preseason.

As expected, preseason games aren’t going to give us much insight into the “$64,000 question,” namely, has Trubisky made the leap? We’re going to have to wait for the regular season opener for that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#4 » by 2018C3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 am

Preseason games are still fun for me to watch, because it gives me a chance to see some of the off-season aquisitions who are fighting for a spot on the team. For the guys who do make it, It helps give a idea on how the organization may plan to use them.

Most of the people I associate with are uninterested in these games. I typically set aside a few hours to watch them, and enjoy them for what they are.

One thing that impresses me in all the content I have seen, is Nagy's grip on this team. He seems to be a very personable guy with lots of charisma and excellent people skills. He has this team compleately bought in to his leadership style.

(His freindly nature is the exact opposite type of coach I ussually like to see leading a team I follow. (I have always perfered hard nose coaches who demand excellence). In the content I have watched Nagy's interaction with the players is 2nd to none, and has me rethinking my ideas of how a coach should conduct his own buisness.
mack2354
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by mack2354 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

2018C3 wrote:Preseason games are still fun for me to watch, because it gives me a chance to see some of the off-season aquisitions who are fighting for a spot on the team. For the guys who do make it, It helps give a idea on how the organization may plan to use them.

Most of the people I associate with are uninterested in these games. I typically set aside a few hours to watch them, and enjoy them for what they are.

One thing that impresses me in all the content I have seen, is Nagy's grip on this team. He seems to be a very personable guy with lots of charisma and excellent people skills. He has this team compleately bought in to his leadership style.

(His freindly nature is the exact opposite type of coach I ussually like to see leading a team I follow. (I have always perfered hard nose coaches who demand excellence). In the content I have watched Nagy's interaction with the players is 2nd to none, and has me rethinking my ideas of how a coach should conduct his own buisness.

I think he has a little hard nose in him. I wouldn't put him in the same category as say Lovie Smith. I think he has a great balance of being player friendly and getting after guys. I like him a lot.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/quick-hits-bears-break-camp-miller-injury-update

“We’ll see where we’re at when we get back to Halas and we practice. The other thing, too, is seeing how our guys react to a little bit of frustration from the coaching staff at times. That’s always good. They understand. So we’ll put the tape on and go from there.”

Nagy isn’t worried about how Bears players will respond to getting chewed out by their coaches.

“They’re good. They’re fine. They get it,” Nagy said. “They’ve seen coaches get on them before. That’s not a first time. They react well. I’m going to always revert back to that when you have high character people, they can handle that. If you have a bunch of bad people or turds, they don’t. And we don’t have turds on this team.”
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#6 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Just watched that slop with our scrubs. To me both the Oline and both QB's were horrendous. Apart from a couple of good plays on D everything else was terrible. Tackling on D & ST was beyond bad. 
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#7 » by Axxo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:14 am

Not a fan of Tabor at all. I said my piece on Chase Daniels already and he continues to prove me right. I kno Matt wants to give everyone a fair shot but he really needs to look into a new ST coordinator. You can really see the difference with how other teams are being coached in that regard.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Bears Preseason 

Post#8 » by transplant » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:02 pm

I think most veteran front line players HATE preseason games. Nagy takes some heat for sitting these players, but my guess is that they love him for it.

This said, blocking and particularly tackling are skills and skills need to be practiced to be sharp. Game-quality blocking and tackling aren’t practiced in camp and for players held out of preseason games, it will be 9 months since they truly blocked or tackled. I can’t say that this doesn’t concern me a bit.

Nagy clearly is doing it his way. He’s responsible for the results, positive and negative. I might not run things the way he does, but there are hundreds of reasons why he coaches the Bears and I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#9 » by Susan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 am

Deon Bush is a freaking MACHINE in preseason. He's going to take a major step forward and honestly makes me feel so good about our secondary right now.

Eddy making a 58 yarder was huge. I like his swag and leg.

Ryan Nall ripping off a 69 yarder was nice. I think he is a player. Not sure he's a RB/FB or even a small TE, he's a dynamic player with the ball in his hands and we should find a way to keep him. Montgomery, Cohen, Nall, White and Davis would give us a really dynamic RB room. Throw in Cordalle Paterson who's gotten some run at the position and there's a ton of playmakers there. White is a freaking BURNER who can play ST so I think he's worth keeping/using.

This team is going to be insanely dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson, Cohen, Miller, Wims, Gabriel, Burton, Montgomery, Shaheen (if he can stay healthy), Patterson and Mitch all have dynamic skillsets so Nagy is going to have a TON of fun this year.
clancyphile
Junior
And1: 10

Post#10 » by clancyphile » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:02 pm

Susan wrote:Deon Bush is a freaking MACHINE in preseason. He's going to take a major step forward and honestly makes me feel so good about our secondary right now.

Ryan Nall ripping off a 69 yarder was nice. I think he is a player. Not sure he's a RB/FB or even a small TE, he's a dynamic player with the ball in his hands and we should find a way to keep him. Montgomery, Cohen, Nall, White and Davis would give us a really dynamic RB room. Throw in Cordalle Paterson who's gotten some run at the position and there's a ton of playmakers there. White is a freaking BURNER who can play ST so I think he's worth keeping/using.

This team is going to be insanely dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson, Cohen, Miller, Wims, Gabriel, Burton, Montgomery, Shaheen (if he can stay healthy), Patterson and Mitch all have dynamic skillsets so Nagy is going to have a TON of fun this year.

Right now, I like this for the roster:
QB: Trubisky, Bray
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Nall, White
WR: Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims, Ridley, Mizzell
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sowell, Bunting
OT: Massie, Leno, Coward
OG: Long, Whitehair, Bars
C: Daniels, Larsen

DE: Bullard, Nichols, Lynch
DT: Hicks, Goldman, Robertson-Harris, N. Williams
OLB: Mack, Floyd, Fitts, Irving
ILB: Trevethan, R.Smith, Kwitkowski, Iylegbuniwe
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine, Shelley, Duck
S: Jackson, Clinton-Dix, Bush. Houston-Carson

K: Pineiro
P: O'Donnel
LS: Scales
Axxo
Analyst

Post#11 » by Axxo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:44 am

Fitts absolutely should not make the roster over Vaughters IMO

Hall over Mizzell
mack2354
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by mack2354 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 am

clancyphile wrote:
Susan wrote:Deon Bush is a freaking MACHINE in preseason. He's going to take a major step forward and honestly makes me feel so good about our secondary right now.

Right now, I like this for the roster:
QB: Trubisky, Bray
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Nall, White
WR: Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims, Ridley, Mizzell
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sowell, Bunting
OT: Massie, Leno, Coward
OG: Long, Whitehair, Bars
C: Daniels, Larsen

DE: Bullard, Nichols, Lynch
DT: Hicks, Goldman, Robertson-Harris, N. Williams
OLB: Hicks, Floyd, Fitts, Irving
ILB: Trevethan, R.Smith, Kwitkowski, Iylegbuniwe
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine, Shelley, Duck
S: Jackson, Clinton-Dix, Bush. Houston-Carson

K: Pineiro
P: O'Donnel
LS: Scales

*Mack*
clancyphile
Junior

Post#13 » by clancyphile » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Had Hick in twice... will fix that... :banghead: :banghead:
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#14 » by Susan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:51 pm

They're keeping Davis 100%. Mizzell is not an NFL player.
clancyphile
Junior

Post#15 » by clancyphile » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Susan wrote:They're keeping Davis 100%. Mizzell is not an NFL player.

With Lamar Miller's injury, I'd deal Davis to the Texans, try to get a draft pick or two for 2020.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#16 » by Axxo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:21 pm

clancyphile wrote:
Susan wrote:They're keeping Davis 100%. Mizzell is not an NFL player.

With Lamar Miller's injury, I'd deal Davis to the Texans, try to get a draft pick or two for 2020.

They wont trade with so many guys about to be released. However if they were that desperate trade Mizzell for a 6th. That would be alot for him. Keep Davis, tales the pressure off Montgomery snd Cohen.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#17 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:10 pm

Read on Twitter
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#18 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:19 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I cannot believe Lucas beat out Bars, Heistand can't be that stupid to recommend that. Beyond disappointed at this point.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#19 » by Axxo » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:01 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I cannot believe Lucas beat out Bars, Heistand can't be that stupid to recommend that. Beyond disappointed at this point.

I was thinking the same. Lucas moves like he has cement shoes on
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,205

Post#20 » by fleet » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:18 am

The only thing that makes sense is that Bars' knee is either cooked, or he's not ready to play yet with top speed
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.

Return to Chicago Bears