Image Image Image Image

Bears Front office Moves (now to 2020 offseason)

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#1 » by patryk7754 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:27 pm

I think we should seriously consider trading for Ramsey. You get a corner like him once every 10 years. I know what everyone is going to say
1. We already have Fuller making big-time money
- Fuller is getting bigtime money and is really good but he isn't a true shutdown corner like Ramsey is. With both of them on the team, passing won't be an option for opposing teams.

2. He has an attitude problem
-Nowadays being passionate is mistaken as an attitude problem. I will say, Ramsey probably didn't handle whatever happened with his HC the best way but there have been reports of issues between the FO/HC of the Jags and the players and with Tom Coughlin at the helm, I'll put my money on the FO/HC being the issues. Here, we have player's coaches so I don't see that being an issue. He'll probably talk trash to Tru tho.

3. We've already given up a lot of first-round picks
-We gave up those picks for a transcendent talent. Ramsey doesn't have the value of Mack but we won't have to give up that much to get him. Also, picks are grossly overvalued in the NFL. I highly doubt we draft anyone nearly as good as Ramsey in 2021 (the next time we have a 1st). Also, I remember watching Mike and Mike 3 or 4 years ago and they were talking about like 35% or 40% of first-round picks stay on the team that drafted him and that a crazy low number of first-round picks stay in the league. The best value 1st rounders have is the low salary but thats assuming you don't draft a bust but at Ramsey's talent level it's kind of a moot point

4. Some might even say he's not that good
-It's debatable whether or not he's the best CB in the NFL but anything other than that isn't really worth addressing.

With this Trade, I think we can kinda filp it into our favor (even moreso than just getting maybe the best CB in the NFL). We'd probably have to give up Prince along with the 2021 first. But I think we could throw in Burton as well and cut our losses with him. We took a risk with him (not necessarily a bad one) but at the price that Burton comes with, he's a bust signing. He can't catch so everything else is kinda irrelevant.

Getting rid of Burton helps with relief for the contract we'll be giving Ramsey (along with the money we "save" by giving them Prince as well)

We might have to throw in a later pick as well but that's ok with me.

Prince, Burton, 2020 5th, 2021 1st is a great deal for Ramsey.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: Bears Front office Moves (now to 2020 offseason) 

Post#2 » by Axxo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 pm

We would have a hole at tight end which is important for Nagys offense. Shaheen is never healthy. Also would Ramsey be willing to play any role asked of him...Special teams, slot etc? Is he going to point fingers at the offense when they struggle? If so that will not help anything
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#3 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:56 am

Axxo wrote:We would have a hole at tight end which is important for Nagys offense. Shaheen is never healthy. Also would Ramsey be willing to play any role asked of him...Special teams, slot etc? Is he going to point fingers at the offense when they struggle? If so that will not help anything

Dude. WHAT?? Why would Ramsey play special teams? Why would he play nickel? He would play nickel if we're playing an offense with a top 10 receiver and that receiver happens to be moved around and occasionally lines up in the slot; in which case, yes he would play the nickel.

Do Kyle Fuller, Eddie Jackson, or Khalil Mack play special teams? No. So why would anyone ask Jalen Ramsey to regularly play special teams? Maybe on a game-deciding play or something. That's it.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#4 » by Axxo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
Axxo wrote:We would have a hole at tight end which is important for Nagys offense. Shaheen is never healthy. Also would Ramsey be willing to play any role asked of him...Special teams, slot etc? Is he going to point fingers at the offense when they struggle? If so that will not help anything

Dude. WHAT?? Why would Ramsey play special teams? Why would he play nickel? He would play nickel if we're playing an offense with a top 10 receiver and that receiver happens to be moved around and occasionally lines up in the slot; in which case, yes he would play the nickel.

Do Kyle Fuller, Eddie Jackson, or Khalil Mack play special teams? No. So why would anyone ask Jalen Ramsey to regularly play special teams? Maybe on a game-deciding play or something. That's it.

It was mentioned that his blow up with Marrone was in part not being agreeable to being used in different ways or taking on ALT roles. Ways that the HC deemed better for the team overall. Thats the point I'm making. No matter what is asked of him will he do it.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#5 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 10:26 am

Axxo wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:

It was mentioned that his blow up with Marrone was in part not being agreeable to being used in different ways or taking on ALT roles. Ways that the HC deemed better for the team overall. Thats the point I'm making. No matter what is asked of him will he do it.

Probably because the Jaguars blow and the coach is dumb and tried to put him in stupid situations. He will not be asked to play special teams if he comes here. He will not be asked to slide over to the nickel spot unless it is to cover a top WR.

If Matt Nagy asked Khalil Mack to play on punt and kickoff coverage on a regular basis then I would fully expect him to refuse, even if it creates a scene on the sideline.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#6 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:35 pm

To ramsey;
Bears need not invest any more in the defense when the offense is bottom 3 after week 4.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 10:58 pm

I think there are three main things that need to be fixed.

The O-line
TE
QB

1. The oline has been disappointing. Leno and Massie have not been up to par. Long is often hurt and Whitehair and Daniels are out of position. There is an opportunity to create the best o-line in football for next season. I hate to say it but Long will have to go. To replace him, we sign Brando Scherff. He's an all-pro G and there is no way he resigns with Washington. Then we trade for Trent Williams. All-pro LT. The trade would be centered around Leno and a 2nd. And finally (something that should be done now, is switch Daniels and Whitehair back.

2. We cut or trade Burton (maybe we can include him in the Trent Williams trade). Then we go hard after Austin Hooper. He's huge and fast, making him a match up nightmare. He's a great route runner and most importantly, he can actually catch. It's hard to tell how much he'll get but I doubt the Falcons resign him because of what they just paid Juilo.

3. There's really nothing we can go here right now except to continue to build the team around Trubisky and hope he becomes worthy of the 2nd overall pick. With that oline and arguable the best receiving crew after adding Hooper, there will be no excuses for Tru and Nagy.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#8 » by Axxo » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:21 am

patryk7754 wrote:I think there are three main things that need to be fixed.

The O-line
TE
QB

1. The oline has been disappointing. Leno and Massie have not been up to par. Long is often hurt and Whitehair and Daniels are out of position. There is an opportunity to create the best o-line in football for next season. I hate to say it but Long will have to go. To replace him, we sign Brando Scherff. He's an all-pro G and there is no way he resigns with Washington. Then we trade for Trent Williams. All-pro LT. The trade would be centered around Leno and a 2nd. And finally (something that should be done now, is switch Daniels and Whitehair back.

2. We cut or trade Burton (maybe we can include him in the Trent Williams trade). Then we go hard after Austin Hooper. He's huge and fast, making him a match up nightmare. He's a great route runner and most importantly, he can actually catch. It's hard to tell how much he'll get but I doubt the Falcons resign him because of what they just paid Juilo.

3. There's really nothing we can go here right now except to continue to build the team around Trubisky and hope he becomes worthy of the 2nd overall pick. With that oline and arguable the best receiving crew after adding Hooper, there will be no excuses for Tru and Nagy.

Shaheen needs to go b4 Burton. Sowell needs to go back to Oline. Nagy hasn't had TEs since he's been here and that position is needed for his offense. Move Long to 3rd string and promote Bars. I'm not sure if Daniels and whitehair are at fault but Long and Leno have been total trash.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#9 » by transplant » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:44 pm

It was nice that the OP stated both the proposition and several of the reasons to oppose the proposition...saves us all time.

Based on the reasoning of the OP proposition, EVERY TEAM should trade for Ramsey, and if anything, the Bears need him less than most.

Yet no team has has made a trade proposal for Ramsey that has met the Jaguars requirements. In fact, I haven’t even read of a trade offer that was rejected. How can this be?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#10 » by patryk7754 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm

The bears won't make change at QB or HC until the offseason and unless there is radical improvement, I don't think they make it to the next season. Tru would be the the backup but Nagy has been a bad HC and bad playcaller.

With that in mind, I think we should go after Andy Dalton and Jay Gruden (as a OC). They did well together in Cincy and Gruden is a balanced play-caller. With Alex Smith at QB, Gruden was coaching a playoff-caliber team.

I can't really think of anyone who would come in as HC right now, but I don't want the new hot thing again. I want someone who has had success. Maybe we can Promote Pagano. He was underwhelming in Indy but that team was never that talented and the players always liked him.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#11 » by Axxo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 am

patryk7754 wrote:The bears won't make change at QB or HC until the offseason and unless there is radical improvement, I don't think they make it to the next season. Tru would be the the backup but Nagy has been a bad HC and bad playcaller.

With that in mind, I think we should go after Andy Dalton and Jay Gruden (as a OC). They did well together in Cincy and Gruden is a balanced play-caller. With Alex Smith at QB, Gruden was coaching a playoff-caliber team.

I can't really think of anyone who would come in as HC right now, but I don't want the new hot thing again. I want someone who has had success. Maybe we can Promote Pagano. He was underwhelming in Indy but that team was never that talented and the players always liked him.

Nagy didnt get to pick a QB he could work with. He said when he got hired he and Reid didnt like Mitch as a prospect. He said after that Mitch grew on him ltr but that sounded like a comment he needed to make. Whats tellin is if his 1st impression about Mitch wasnt good then he wouldnt have been all in on drafting Mitch therefore he knew something. Pace shouldn't be picking QBs. Let Nagy have a chance to pick his guy. So replace the QB first, then if that doesnt work Pace is next then the new GM picks his coach.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#12 » by patryk7754 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:23 pm

So Tom Brady and his trainer sold their homes. adam schefter has speculated that that means Tom is ready to play somewhere else. When asked about it, Brady didn't say it wasn't true. So.......
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#13 » by patryk7754 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 am

This offseason comes with a rich QB free agency class. I think the Bears are going to sign someone who will put pressure on Tru and not necessarily replace him long term. I think that only rules out Teddy Bridgewater and Dak Prescott. Along with them, I also think Drew Brees is the only one who will 100% not leave his team. Here's a list of the notable free agent QBs
(BCS=best case scenario, DW=Don't want, ML= More likely, HRHR=High Risk High Reward, SS=Solid Signing, WH= wont happen)

James Winston=HRHR
Tom Brady=BCS
Philip Rivers=BCS
Dak Prescott=WH
Teddy Bridgewater=WH
Case Keenum=ML
Marcus Mariota=SS
Drew Brees=WH
Ryan Tannehill=SS
Chase Daniel=DW
Matt Moore=SS
Eli Manning=DW
AJ McCarron=DW
Josh McCown=SS
Blake Bortles=DW

So obviously getting either Brady or Rivers would a dream come true and there's a small chance they at least choose to leave their current teams. There's speculation that Brady wants to prove that he can win without Bill and Rivers hates it in LA. Either of them coming to Chicago makes them Superbowl favorites. But in reality, there is a 99.99% they either stay or retire.

I think the most likely contenders to be signed are Keenum, Mariota, Tannehill, and unfortunately Chase. I think the first three would be really good pickups. None of them will lose you a game. They are as game manager as it gets. Mariota could be the best fit and maybe he has a resurgence under Nagy. Who knows, maybe if Nagy gets a guy who can complete a 10-yard pass consistently, his coaching decisions wouldn't be so bad.

As for Jamies. He'll throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs but there's a high chance he'll do something to lose the game. Maybe with our defense, a 4th qt turnover won't be as bad because our offense would be scoring 30 a game and our defense would be allowing less than 20.

My top two options are Mariota and Winston with us most likely signing Mariota because he'll probably be cheap. And there's the Oregon connection.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#14 » by Axxo » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:04 am

I wouldnt sign anybody that even Bruce Arians couldn't fix
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#15 » by patryk7754 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:42 am

Matt Bryant has been released by the falcons. He’s only 9-14 this season but I’d still have more confidence in him than Eddy
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#16 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:01 am

Trubitsky is under contract next season, the last year of his rookie deal. Then the Bears could give him an extension or maybe a 5th year option?

Even if the Bears want to move on, what would be the cap hit?

As it is, Mack's huge deal is going to kick in starting next season.

If the Bears really believe they're in the window, they may have to make a big move. Cam Newton was just put on IR. He is under contract next season at 19 million for the Panthers but if they cut him, the cap hit to them would be only 2 million.

Of course no guarantees whether he'll regain his MVP form, after the injuries. Also need to be pointed out that he's probably endured more hits in his years than any other QB.

But Bears may not be able to make a big QB acquisition if Trubitsky's contract isn't cap-friendly.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#17 » by patryk7754 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:45 am

Yeah, I don't see us being rid of Trubisky this offseason. Really no point. His contract is fully guaranteed meaning his cap hit will be at least 9mil if we cut him. I don't see the bears picking up his 5th-year option. What I do see happening is us bringing legit and cheap competition. I thought that would include Cam if he was cut (the panthers would save more than 19mil if they cut or trade him) but all the tv "experts" seem to think he'll get a big contract. I don't see it that happening since he's been very injured the past couple of seasons and pretty bad because of it. I see him signing a one year prove it deal but I guess the tv guys have better insight than I do.

Since we will probably keep Trubisky, we won't sign anyone to a huge deal. Although my top choice would be Cam I dont think we can afford him. With that here is a list of guys I think we can get;

Mariota; signed as FA
Winston; signed as FA
Josh Rosen; traded for a 5th rounder
Matt Moore; signed as FA with the promise to compete for the starting job
Jacob Eason; drafted in the second.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#18 » by patryk7754 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:05 am

I really like Jacob Eason. He was originally at Georgia but I believe he had some sort of knee injury and then Jake Fromm took the starting job and didn't lose it because of Bulldog's success with him at QB. If I recall correctly, he was the number one rated QB coming into college. Since then, he's transferred to Washington where he has 20TDs 5ints, 2.297 passing yards, and 152 passer rating .
He's 6'6 230lbs. He reminds me a lot of Safford from the little that I've seen from him. He seems to be really accurate deep and short. Has a really strong arm. And most importantly, he can throw a ten-yard pass.

While I think he is a 1st round talent, I think he'll be the fifth QB taken which means he can drop to the 2nd. I'm 99% sure Tua, LSU's QB and Oregon's QB will go ahead of him. I think there's a strong possibility that Jake Fromm goes before him as well. Here's how I think the QBs will be drafted:

Dolphins: Tua
Bengals: Justin Herbert (Oregon QB)
Broncos: Joe Burrow
Buccs: Resign Winston
Titans: Trade for or sign Dalton or Cam
Buccs, RD2: Fromm
Bears: Eason

That's probably best case scenario. I can definitely see the Patriots taking Eason with their first.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#19 » by Axxo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:06 am

Cam has lisfranc. So thats rules him out for me. Bears dont have the assets for a major move at QB so expect Mitch to be here next season. Nagy needs to dumb the playbook down again so Mitch can go back to making single read passes. Get some TEs that can block and half way catch a pass
Replace Floyd and then see what happens next season.

Return to Chicago Bears