Brown remains a part of bears plan.

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,048

Brown remains a part of bears plan. 

Post#1 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:14 pm

Confirmed they plan on starting brown. I'm guessing AA starts along side him.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsSt ... ry_id=3241

I'm very happy with that. With brown, dusty d, harris all back, and AA added to the starting defense, we'll be much better to start the year next year. Even without any picks.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#2 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:41 pm

Could it be that Mike kept getting hurt due in part to having to play up closer to the line of scrimmage? Maybe a move back to free safety will keep him a little healthier. Cliff Levingston would just worry about his speed and range at that point.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:43 pm

or we can have a system where on any given play, a different safety comes up to the line, and the QB never knows which one, and our run defense and blitzes are MUCH better.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#4 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:48 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:or we can have a system where on any given play, a different safety comes up to the line, and the QB never knows which one, and our run defense and blitzes are MUCH better.

A big improvement in blitzing would be nice, but listening to Rivera talk about blitzes last year, Cliff Levingston doesn't expect there to be.

Rivera basically said that their blitzes weren't necessarily designed to get the blitzer to the QB; rather to just have him occupy a blocker so they could get a "favorable" one-on-one matchup on the line.

But anyway, that's something for a different topic. It'll be interesting to see if/how Brown and Archuleta co-exist.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, we have a different D-coordinator for a reason. I think we are a little more aggressive this year.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Re: Brown remains a part of bears plan. 

Post#6 » by Posey H8er » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:34 am

Darth Celtic wrote:Confirmed they plan on starting brown. I'm guessing AA starts along side him.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsSt ... ry_id=3241

I'm very happy with that. With brown, dusty d, harris all back, and AA added to the starting defense, we'll be much better to start the year next year. Even without any picks.

If we get Brown, AA, and Tommie Harris back, will are D be better than if we didn't have Briggs and these guys?
Action Paxson
Head Coach
And1: 63

Post#7 » by Action Paxson » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:39 am

Our coverage gets worse. We have 3 stong safeties and one free safety. I don't think Brown should start at FS, it would really hurt our pass coverage. Sure you want to get your best 11 on the field but a good quarterback will destroy us...again.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:51 am

brown started off at free safety, and did very well. he can play free safety.
Action Paxson
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Action Paxson » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:19 am

Darth Celtic wrote:brown started off at free safety, and did very well. he can play free safety.

When he was younger and a different kind of player. Several years and injuries later he is not the run and cover athlete he once was and in this Tampa 2 scheme you need your safeties to cover because the corners aren't always running stride for stride with the WR's. I would feel a lot more comfortable with Danieal Manning who is much faster and should definitely improve going into his 2nd year.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:51 pm

yeah, That way when the other team runs a quick 5 yard slant they can go 60 yards for the TD each time because D. Manning takes the worst angles i've almost ever seen.
TylerB
Analyst
And1: 98

Post#11 » by TylerB » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:38 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:yeah, That way when the other team runs a quick 5 yard slant they can go 60 yards for the TD each time because D. Manning takes the worst angles i've almost ever seen.

And this happened because of Manning about....zero times this year.

Now Ricky Manning was completely burnt against TB this year on a slant that went for a TD, but D. Manning didn't take a bad angle, he was simply stuck in no mans land because of what Ricky Manning did not do.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:06 pm

?? are you kidding? It happened 2 times in just one game. And yes, TB, and yes D. Manning took horrible angles on the guys and ran right past them, the WR didn't even have to make a move. Instead of Getting in a good stance to make a tackle, and slowing down to make the guy make a move so he can be caught, he ran right by the play. and that's just one game.

The guy has potential, but AA and Brown combo will be much better at making tackles in front of them. Maybe they get burned REAL deep a few more times, but they'll keep the guys in front of them.
Action Paxson
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Action Paxson » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:32 am

Darth Celtic wrote:The guy has potential, but AA and Brown combo will be much better at making tackles in front of them. Maybe they get burned REAL deep a few more times, but they'll keep the guys in front of them.

We don't need two safeties who play like linebackers. Reduncancy on a team allows the opposotion to more easily exploit your weaknesses. Plus, its called a safety. There are 7 guys in front of them that are supposed to make the tackle.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:36 am

guess you didn't watch our team against the run last year when brown went out?
TylerB
Analyst

Post#15 » by TylerB » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:21 am

Darth Celtic wrote:?? are you kidding? It happened 2 times in just one game. And yes, TB, and yes D. Manning took horrible angles on the guys and ran right past them,

What game was it?

In the TB game Ricky Manning got abused by Ike Hilliard and D. Manning had really no chance to make a play since Hillard was running full speed and had the entire field to work with and Manning was coming from the middle of the field since Harris was up in the box to start the play. It wasn't a bad angle, it was just what happens when your corner gets beaten off the line that badly

the WR didn't even have to make a move. Instead of Getting in a good stance to make a tackle, and slowing down to make the guy make a move so he can be caught, he ran right by the play. and that's just one game.

Yeah, it was an impossible play. He ran past the play but Hilliard caught the ball in a spot where it isn't supposed to be possible to catch the ball because of the corner back. Its basically like Mike Brown last year when Tillman fell down in the playoffs and Steve Smith scored the first TD of the game. Mike Brown came over from the middle of the field and ran past the play and slipped. He looked like a dunce, but it was Tillman's fault for putting him in an impossible situation.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:48 pm

isn't that a safety's job? to come from the middle and make tackles if the WR gets by the CB? and if he had no chance, then why did D. Manning run right by the wr way before the WR even got to him and had to try and stop and come back to tackle the wr, yet the wr didn't even make a move or change speed? He just took a HORRIBLE angle and overran the play he should have made. I watch every game, then watch it again 2-3 times with the nfl superfan package game shorts. And i have near photographic memory for things like this. He made a bad play, and that's not the only time he overran a play or took a bad angle, just the worst.

I get it, you have a man crush on D. Manning, fine, we agree to disagree, and i don't need a 10 page thread getting quoted back and forth because your opinion of the facts has to be right.

In my opinion, D. Manning is a fine young safety, but still needs more seasoning because he lacks experience and takes bad angles on tackles. In my opinion AA and Brown healthy and starting will help run and pass defense big time.
TylerB
Analyst

Post#17 » by TylerB » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:14 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:isn't that a safety's job? to come from the middle and make tackles if the WR gets by the CB?

Thats an oversimplification in very vague terms that doesn't apply to the play being discussed.

and if he had no chance, then why did D. Manning run right by the wr way before the WR even got to him and had to try and stop and come back to tackle the wr, yet the wr didn't even make a move or change speed?

he way the defense is designed it isn't supposed to be possible to complete a pass where that pass was completed on that route. If you do give up that completion in that defense you will have that same result everytime.

Manning was stuck in no man's land, he reacted to the pass but it was completed and Hilliard had 3/4s of a field to cut into while already running full speed. Manning would have had to known beforehand that Hilliard was going to run that route and catch a pass in that exact position to make a tackle.

He didn't really overrun the play he was on top of Hilliard when he caught it and Hilliard was running towards the opposite side of the field at full speed. You act like Manning came running balls out and just missed him. He was like 10 yards deeper than Hilliard when he caught the ball and Hilliard was going in the opposite direction. The pass was to the right and Hilliard was running left so naturally when the ball is thrown Manning is moving right and had to change direction when Hilliard caught the ball so to you I guess you thought he overran the play because he had to stop and chase going the other way.

It was COVER ONE for crying out loud. How is Manning supposed to make a play on a slant like that when its caught 9 yards past the LOS and he is 20 yards deep? It isn't supposed to be possible to complete a slant like that in cover one and if one is completed in stride the safety will not have a play on it unless they were completely out of position to begin with.

He just took a HORRIBLE angle and overran the play he should have made. I watch every game, then watch it again 2-3 times with the nfl superfan package game shorts. And i have near photographic memory for things like this. He made a bad play, and that's not the only time he overran a play or took a bad angle, just the worst.

I just watched the play 10 seconds ago and you are wrong.

He didn't take any bad angle, he didn't take any angle at all, he wasn't running down a player with the ball, he dropping into his zone and all of a sudden Hilliard has the ball in stride going towards the opposite side of the field that Manning was on. There was no time to react and get into position because Manning got toasted off the line and Rattay threaded the ball to Hilliard in stride.

And you still have not told us about all the other times he took bad angles. You said he took two terrible angles in one game both of which led to long plays, what game was that? What plays?

I get it, you have a man crush on D. Manning, fine, we agree to disagree, and i don't need a 10 page thread getting quoted back and forth because your opinion of the facts has to be right.

I don't agree to disagree with people who have their facts wrong.
Joe Jackson
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Joe Jackson » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:57 pm

TylerB wrote:
-= original quote snipped =-

I don't agree to disagree with people who have their facts wrong.

Does that mean you agree with them? If you don't disagree, that would mean you must.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:50 am

Tyler, i've seen your posts on the bulls board about bears related topics. And your style of HAVING to be right, and if you find somebody who doesn't agree with you you won't drop it and go off quoting every little thing, bit by bit, just like you did, is not a style I'm a fan of.

You have several warnings for this kind of thing. Skirting the rules enough not to get in big trouble, but RAISING the blood pressure of the board.

Now, I want you to keep posting here, but you need to lighten up. Usually I'd give this as a pm thing, but I want all new posters to this board to read up and understand where I'm coming from.

This is a board for ALL bears fans to be able to talk football, have fun, and not be persecuted for their opinions or boarderline attacked. Nobody can win this arguement, and when that is the case, you don't let it go. This arguement can be settled next year after we see who the starting safeties are and how much better or worse our defense is. Until then I think we all know your opinion on them matter, as well as mine. I said my peace. When that happens, and a poster says that they have a different opinion, you need to accept that.

Thanks, have a nice day, GO BEARS!
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#20 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:12 am

Yeah I agree with Darth Celtic.
I do like Tyler's posts though it is fun to have a semi-argument (we had one when Jones was traded).

Return to Chicago Bears