ImageImageImageImageImage

Melky

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#41 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 4:00 am

Jitpal wrote:Melky is like Arod. When Melky is throwing out runners and robbing home runs everyone is raving about his defense, fire and good patience for a young hitter. Then when he screws up once, it's all about how he will never be more than average and how he doesn't have any tools. Can't have it both ways. Right now, he is our best outfielder and looks like he will be for the foreseeable future barring any trades or free agent signings this summer. -Jitpal

Couple of problems what this:

1. Melky isn't ARod. Even ARod at his worst was better than Melky at his best. It's a totally different kind of reaction.

2. He's our best outfielder because the other one's are worse. It's a reflection of the caliber of defense that the other Yankee OF's offer than it is about the quality of Cabrera's own skills.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#42 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 4:00 am

LOL, comparing Melky to Arod. That's classic. They couldn't be further apart talent-wise.
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Jitpal » Sat Jun 9, 2007 4:05 am

I wasn't comparing their talents. Thats dumb. I was comparing what fans think of them. Last year when Arod was having a poor season, everyone wanted to get rid of him and say he was horrible. Earlier this year when he was not playing well everyone was bashing him. So today he messes up a play and the amazing plays he has made earlier this year have been forgotten, the plays that won us games have been forgotten for a play he messed up in a game we won. That's all I was saying. -Jitpal
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#44 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 4:06 am

The comparision is awful. I don't see any comparision at all. Melky isn't a good player, he never projects as anything more than an average player. Arod is one of the greatest players of all time and we have high standards for him, and he usually meets them.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#45 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Jun 9, 2007 2:48 pm

the guy wasn't comparing their talents he was comparing how they are received by Yankee fans. When they mess up its like the world is crumbling & we should trade them for some single A first basemen but when they excell they're amazing & should never be traded.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#46 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 3:41 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:the guy wasn't comparing their talents he was comparing how they are received by Yankee fans. When they mess up its like the world is crumbling & we should trade them for some single A first basemen but when they excell they're amazing & should never be traded.

Even when Melky messes up, most Yankee fans don't care. Everybody knows that Melky is a marginal player.

It's different with Arod. Everybody knows that he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. So when he does mess up over an entire season's time, people notice.

I still don't see the comparision.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#47 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat Jun 9, 2007 4:54 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Even when Melky messes up, most Yankee fans don't care. Everybody knows that Melky is a marginal player.

It's different with Arod. Everybody knows that he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. So when he does mess up over an entire season's time, people notice.

I still don't see the comparision.

are you kidding me alot of us love Melky !!!

just look at his fan base , why you think there are "GOT MELKY ?" shirts at Yankees Stadium

BACK OFF MY BOY MELKY, 22 YEARS OLD :evil:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#48 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:57 pm

Melky leading the way

BY ANTHONY McCARRON
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Posted Sunday, June 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

It probably won't replace the catch he made last year against Manny Ramirez atop his personal highlight reel, but Melky Cabrera added another amazing grab to his resume yesterday by reaching over the center-field fence to snatch a likely homer from Pittsburgh's Ronny Paulino.

Cabrera also went 1-for-3 and scored twice and is hitting .378 over a span of 10 consecutive starts. The Yankees are 8-2 in those games.

"Melky gives us life," Joe Torre said. Alex Rodriguez added that Cabrera was a "difference maker" in the team's recent success

(Joe why did you bench him in the ALDS :nonono: )
AGAIN DON'T MESS W/ THE MELK MAN :evil:
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Chach » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:21 pm

cmaff051 wrote:LOL, comparing Melky to Arod. That's classic. They couldn't be further apart talent-wise.

What about ARod and Cairo? They might be farther apart talent-wise.

Melky is a nice young player and will probably develop into a decent regular. However, this is the New York Yankees we are talking about. Decent regulars are not the first thing you think of when you see that line-up. I would guess that he is safe for the rest of this season but I would be pretty nervous if I were him this offseason because he could be involved in a trade for a set-up man or a first baseman. mahalo
~Chach~
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#50 » by 34Celtic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Chach wrote:I would guess that he is safe for the rest of this season but I would be pretty nervous if I were him this offseason because he could be involved in a trade for a set-up man or a first baseman. mahalo
~Chach~
If they wouldn't trade him for Adam Laroche or Mike Gonzalez i'm not really sure who they would trade him for. Maybe a package for Teix. But Gonzalez was the best reliever on the market.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#51 » by Jitpal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Cabrera last 14 games (as an everday player): 17 of 48 (.354), 5 RBI, 10 R

From Peter Abraham's blog. Nothing more than a 4th outfielder my ass. -Jitpal
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#52 » by 34Celtic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:41 pm

Jitpal wrote:

LOL, dont tell me. I said I see him being a .300 hitter, there are others on here (that shall remain nameless) that disagree.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#53 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Jitpal wrote:

Yeah, let's judge a player by a small sample size.

Alex Cora - 24 for 76 (.315), 13 RBI

He should be the Red Sox starting shortstop, right?
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#54 » by 34Celtic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Dude cmaff, Melky proved last year he could fit in well with this team and lineup. Remember his age. Wil he ever be able to carry the team like AROD? No, but there are plenty of good regulars who don't always hit the ball hard. See Damon, Johnny; Cano, Robby; Jeter, Derek. these guys all use the whole field, and can hit inside pitches the other way. Melky does this. he has some decent gap power. Again he's only 22. When do players ever reach their max power potential at 22.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#55 » by throwbackewing33 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:31 pm

there is simply no reason to trade melky.Let the kid play, he is doing a solid job and will only get better.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#56 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Let's just not overrate the guy. He has a .651 OPS, which is just horrendous. That's not even close to being average.

If he becomes an average hitter before the end of the year, I'd be fine with him in the lineup.

But he needs to hit. He can't be an offensive liability. He needs to hit well, he needs to hit consistently.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#57 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:22 pm

LOL, dont tell me. I said I see him being a .300 hitter, there are others on here (that shall remain nameless) that disagree.

Like myself.

With the age and injury issues that Damon and Matsui have these days I think that everyone would be happy with Melky being probably the most effective 4th OF in the game. That said, he is not a starter. I'm sick of mediocre players being lauded for adding fire. I know he hustles his ass off and he always looks like he's having a good time but geez, the dude has a way below average OPS', he doesn't hit for a very high average, and his OBS' is mediocre. Saying a guy adds fire is just trying to make up for that players shortcomings and inadequacies. Jeter plays with fire too but that's not the first thing people look towards when praising him.

I love Melky but, 4th OF is where he should be. Just an opinion I know some of you disagree I don;t want my head taken off.
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#58 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:58 pm

well he certainly came up small last at bat...
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#59 » by Jitpal » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:02 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:well he certainly came up small last at bat...

Yeah, Let's crucify our 22 year old CF who has a .400 BA coming into that AB with the bases loaded. One AB tells the whole story. -Jitpal
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#60 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 am

I feel like he swings at every pitch. No player should swing at some of the pitches he swings at. He is such a liability right now.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza

Return to New York Yankees