Image Image Image Image

Game 4: Chicago @ Detroit; 9-30-07 @ Noon

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

batman_crip14
Junior
And1: 0

Post#241 » by batman_crip14 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:14 pm

i see a possible trade happening.... briggs for mcnabb. this will only go down when the eagles are on a losing streak and mcnabb will take all the blame for it.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#242 » by DJhitek » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:23 pm

The Good
-Hester is amazing, simply put.
-The Bears defense until the 4th, they played pretty well for the first 3 qtrs.

The Bad
-The offense in general, Griese just made some terrible passes.
-Benson can't run, I don't care what excuses people make. He needs a dominant offensive line to fulfill his potential and we don't have that.
-The receivers drop every third pass thrown to them it seems.
-OL
-Defense was pretty bad in the 4th, on very long drives at that.

Got to say, I don't see us beating Green Bay next week if we don't get healthy in the secondary.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#243 » by Shootdabull » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Is it too much to ask for the Bears to not have a joke of an offensive coordinator once in my life? I said it last year too,but Ron Turner needs to go so badly.

I'm with you on the dump Turner band wagon. Either all of our offensive players stink or its the play calling and coaching. I've seen enough of Greise - time for some Orton - at least he wont turn the ball over three times.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#244 » by CBS7 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Yeah, he might turn it over 5 times.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#245 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Oct 1, 2007 12:14 am

Why exactly wasn't Grossman given a chance with the shotgun again and Griese was?

Also, the Bears have some terrible receivers and their O-Line looks like utter crap. Their defense looked great for 3 quarters, especially considering that secondary was nothing but backups.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#246 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Oct 1, 2007 12:15 am

Shootdabull wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm with you on the dump Turner band wagon. Either all of our offensive players stink or its the play calling and coaching. I've seen enough of Greise - time for some Orton - at least he wont turn the ball over three times.

Terry Shea > *

When Grossman played.
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#247 » by NLK » Mon Oct 1, 2007 2:02 am

_CBS7_ wrote:I've still got a bit of hope.. we started 1-3 in 2005. If we can finish 9-7 or 10-6 and squeak into the playoffs while getting our guys healthy and Griese more incorporated into the offense, I wouldn't want to be a team that has to play the Bears.

CBS, i know where you're coming from. I just dunno. We are what we are with what we got, injuries and all. We're not even a mediocre team. We don't have a RB that can play, but our O-Line is just looking worse than super smooth mashed potatoes or something. At least mashed potatoes would slip up the opposing defenses. Six sacks on Griese? C'mon. I mean we're expected to get sacks, but to give up that many? Additionally, we didn't win the turnover stat-line, and slightly edged them in Time of possession. Nothing to really look forward to as of right now regarding the Bears, except the future draft picks. It'll pain me to see this Defense go if management can't fix some of this mess they made. Eh, Who knows, maybe next week our guys upset the Packers???!
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#248 » by NLK » Mon Oct 1, 2007 2:14 am

batman_crip14 wrote:i see a possible trade happening.... briggs for mcnabb. this will only go down when the eagles are on a losing streak and mcnabb will take all the blame for it.

i won't mind that happening, since briggs will pull the same ol' bull---- in the offseason, as this past year. Might as well fix the QB position, and alleviate the bleeding we're having on our Defense. However, I dont know how much McNabb would fare in a Bears uni right now, if our O-Line sux. Right now, his current O-Line sucks booty, against a hyped up (but still mediocre) defense in the ny giants. I'm sure PHL would love to add another srong defensive player in Briggs. They could use a guy who can play the run really well, and switch Spikes to covering the pass.
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
IlliniNRG
Rookie

Post#249 » by IlliniNRG » Mon Oct 1, 2007 3:35 am

I really don't have a problem with how Turner coaches. He didn't make the receivers drop all those balls, or Griese throw 3 picks, or close up all the holes Benson was supposed to run through. I'll actually give him credit for drastically changing up the gameplan for Griese - the routes were much shorter and lower-risk, and Benson hardly ran when he was so ineffective. The talent/youth just isn't there on offense.

My question is, where is Greg Olsen? Is he still banged up? He and Clark should have been out there at the same time far more than they were, given Griese's weaker arm. Especially after the WRs dropped all those passes, we needed somebody/anybody who could catch a damn pass.
Chaomino
Junior
And1: 18

Post#250 » by Chaomino » Mon Oct 1, 2007 8:00 am

_CBS7_ wrote:
Negatives from the game

- Griese looked bad at times, in a similar way to when Grossman looked bad at times. 3 picks, 2 in the red zone, and the other returned for a TD.
- Offensive line still sucks.
- Benson still can't run the ball and fumbled.
- Allowing 34 points in the 4th quarter? Are you freakin kidding me?
- The WRs still dropping balls left and right. 6 or 7 drops today?

Unfortunately, the negatives far, far outweigh the positives.

I miss on the negatives the Play Call.

If you was INT at the red zone, the next time run the ball and if u cant score a TD, hey! a FG is good
GO BULLS GO
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#251 » by CBS7 » Mon Oct 1, 2007 1:50 pm

Has Grossman ever led the team down the field like Griese did at the end of the game? I know we still lost, but has Grossman ever done anything but throw more picks when we're down with the ball with less then 5 minutes to go?
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#252 » by Shootdabull » Mon Oct 1, 2007 1:57 pm

IlliniNRG wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I really don't have a problem with how Turner coaches. He didn't make the receivers drop all those balls, or Griese throw 3 picks, or close up all the holes Benson was supposed to run through. I'll actually give him credit for drastically changing up the gameplan for Griese - the routes were much shorter and lower-risk, and Benson hardly ran when he was so ineffective. The talent/youth just isn't there on offense.

My question is, where is Greg Olsen? Is he still banged up? He and Clark should have been out there at the same time far more than they were, given Griese's weaker arm. Especially after the WRs dropped all those passes, we needed somebody/anybody who could catch a damn pass.

Maybe I am just jadded as I had high expectations this year and I see the wheels falling off with no end in sight. The Lions were at the bottom in run defense and what do we do - pass the ball 52 times. If we are supposed to be a running and team and we can't figure out a way to run against one of the worst run defenses in the league. I blame that on the coaching. The game plan was horrible - he asks a guy who has not played in two years to throw that many passes. I have never been a fan of Turner and at this rate I never will be.
IlliniNRG
Rookie

Post#253 » by IlliniNRG » Mon Oct 1, 2007 10:18 pm

Maybe I am just jadded as I had high expectations this year and I see the wheels falling off with no end in sight. The Lions were at the bottom in run defense and what do we do - pass the ball 52 times. If we are supposed to be a running and team and we can't figure out a way to run against one of the worst run defenses in the league. I blame that on the coaching. The game plan was horrible - he asks a guy who has not played in two years to throw that many passes. I have never been a fan of Turner and at this rate I never will be.

I totally hear the frustration thing, but I've always thought of running as more of a power game and passing the more cerebral/o-coordinator-oriented game. Surely there are elements of each in both, but I'm not sure how Turner is to blame for Benson and our line sucking.

As far as Griese passing so much...I guess. The Bears had drives at the end of the first half, and the two at the end of the game where they HAD to pass every down. On top of that, Benson's been ineffective all season. On top of THAT, the Lions showed last week they were totally inept at defending the pass. Turner probably thought any monkey could pass for 300 yards and 2 TDs on Detroit.

I am by no means a Turner fanboy (he torpedoed Illinois), but he's certainly better than Shea, Shoop and Crowton. Hell, everyone thought Turner was a genius last year when Rex was stepping into his throws and our WRs weren't dropping them.
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#254 » by Shootdabull » Thu Oct 4, 2007 6:52 pm

IlliniNRG wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I totally hear the frustration thing, but I've always thought of running as more of a power game and passing the more cerebral/o-coordinator-oriented game. Surely there are elements of each in both, but I'm not sure how Turner is to blame for Benson and our line sucking.

As far as Griese passing so much...I guess. The Bears had drives at the end of the first half, and the two at the end of the game where they HAD to pass every down. On top of that, Benson's been ineffective all season. On top of THAT, the Lions showed last week they were totally inept at defending the pass. Turner probably thought any monkey could pass for 300 yards and 2 TDs on Detroit.

I am by no means a Turner fanboy (he torpedoed Illinois), but he's certainly better than Shea, Shoop and Crowton. Hell, everyone thought Turner was a genius last year when Rex was stepping into his throws and our WRs weren't dropping them.

I like your style but saying Turner is better than Shea, Shoop & Crowton just underlines how pitiful our offense has been. I still think turner should be on the hook for the poor offensive play. Let's face it we heard all training camp how good this offense was going to be. So far they have remained healthy, (mainly by finding ways to get off the field quickly). So what has changed - every position on the offense seems to be sputtering. Did all are players become bad all at once? The players certainly are accountable but I also blame the coaches in this case.

Return to Chicago Bears