Moderator: Gremz

Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

ESPN.COM- On the Clock: Cincinnati Bengals 

Post#1 » by Buck4Life » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:10 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... d=tab5pos2

Remaining questions

The biggest question mark for this team once again will be the interior run defense. The Bengals still need a big defensive tackle to plug the middle. They have a lot of bodies at linebacker, but no true star at the position. Johnathan Joseph played well late last season, but this team does not have much depth at corner. Safeties Dexter Jackson and Madieu Williams are not consistent in run support, which hurts the run defense.

The team will miss Steinbach, but the depth on the offensive line is solid. Despite all the problems, this team still has a chance to win, thanks to the explosive weapons on offense.

Thoughts?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:29 am

The defensive tackle thing is pretty much a given. Thornton and Sam Adams just aren't cutting it. But that probably won't be solved through the draft and good LB play can probably offset some of that...but there's a bit less of that.

As far as the safeties go, Williams seems to have come along nicely but Dexter Jackson's practically done. I wonder if they'll draft his replacement.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#3 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:43 am

i watched it on espn..... i was excited that its the bengals today but what they said was pretty much a given..... no surprise and poor boring analysis.... plus, 1st round jon beason?!?! really?! don't know, but i would rather take pat willis or paul polzu$)@#%@ over jon beason. don't know much about beason though.

as for the offensive line, i'm not worried about it. steinbach left hurts but our offensive line depth is good enough in my opinion. plus, whitworth proved he can be 1st round material.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:05 am

Beason hardly seems worth a 2nd rounder, let alone a 1st rounder.

I think, though, it's almost set in stone that Cincy will go defense first.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#5 » by CJ_18 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:47 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Beason hardly seems worth a 2nd rounder, let alone a 1st rounder.

I think, though, it's almost set in stone that Cincy will go defense first.

Chris Houston? I need PNF's opinion on him.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:15 am

CJ_18 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Chris Houston? I need PNF's opinion on him.

Don't know what to make of him. Regrettably, didn't see much of Arkansas this season. Didn't really notice him much. The reviews are really mixed.

So, I guess, with a guy like that, I'd say that if the Bengals feel that they can get him at a lower draft spot, then by all means they should make a trade to do so. But if not, I think they should stand pat.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#7 » by CJ_18 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:07 pm

Heres a scouting report on him:

nfl draft countdown wrote:Strengths:
Has good size with long arms...Smooth with outstanding athleticism...Very good timed speed and quickness with a burst...He's exceptionally tough and physical in coverage...Able to run with most wideouts in man...Has fluid hips and can flip and turn...Extremely confident in his abilities...Great leaper...Strong...Has pretty good instincts...Uses his hands well...Breaks up a lot of passes...Has a lot of potential.

Weaknesses:
He might be a little too sure of himself at times...Ball skills are only average...Too aggressive and will get fooled...Still raw in terms of his technique...Does not do a great job supporting the run...Only an average tackler at best...He was not overly productive for most of his career...May be a workout warrior...A high bust factor?

Notes:
Coming off his best season by far and he really made a name for himself in 2006 by limiting Dwayne Jarrett, Robert Meachem and Dwayne Bowe to a combined 14 catches for 168 yards and 1 touchdown...Has just about all of the physical tools that you look for and is similar to another Hog and former 1st round pick Ahmad Carroll...Intriguing prospect who could see his stock soar leading up to the draft.

Linkage

-He ran a 4.32
-He benched 27 reps
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:09 am

27 reps?? That's f**king prodigious for a CB. At least, so I gather.

That report speaks very highly of him...it basically says that, rather than be a hitter trying to be a cover man, he's doing his best Champ Bailey impersonations...although maybe not as successfully.

The tackling thing is somewhat of a concern but that can be worked on.

The thing this scouting report lacks (to my frustration) is a more detailed analysis of his instincts. We get that he's aggressive...but is he trying to knock a guy off his route? Does he look to shadow him tightly? When his man catches the ball, does he use his speed to his advantage in closing in on the guy? I couldn't answer these questions, and this doesn't paint that clear of a picture.

Nevertheless, that sounds like a first-round CB in my book, even though he has some serious question marks he'll have to answer to.

Return to Cincinnati Bengals