ImageImageImageImage

Champ the best defensive player in the league???

Moderator: NyCeEvO

milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Champ the best defensive player in the league??? 

Post#1 » by milehigh » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:38 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... d=tab4pos2

In my opinion it has to be Champ because he can do it all. Merriman cheats and he is one dimensional he can only rush the QB, average at stopping the run, and he's terrible in pass coverage.

On top of all that Champ has way more tackles than merriman(yes I know he missed 4 games), but champs a corner and merrimans a middle linebacker.

Thoughts.....
denvers_finest
Starter
And1: 31

Post#2 » by denvers_finest » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:24 pm

Champ is, in my biased opinion, the best defensive player in the league, and its not even close.

He doesn't get the opportunities that other CBs do, yet he still lead the league in interceptions. Why? Because any team that was stupid enough to throw the ball his way gets the ball picked. He litterally takes the other teams top reciever out of the game.

Merrimen, Taylor, Lewis, Peppers.. there all great defenders. And teams most definately game plan for the impact that they will have, but teams aren't afraid to challege them like they are Champ.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#3 » by MHZ » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:00 am

I've been saying as much. I said all year, it's a travesty he didn't win DPOY. This guy dominates his position more than any player dominates. They throw the ball at him so few times, and he still ends up with so many picks. Champ is sick.
milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Post#4 » by milehigh » Fri Apr 6, 2007 10:20 pm

whoops sorry about that guys gave you the wrong link!

All fixed :D
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Elway=GOAT » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:18 am

Hes the most complete corner ever. He is currently the most complete defensive player as well. He can do anything on the field. Hes an amazing player, and I hope he retires a Bronco.
EMB6903
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by EMB6903 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Champ plays the toughest position in football and Dominates while doing it, no question Champ is the best.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by MHZ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:25 pm

Kind of unrelated to him being the best defensive player in the league, but it's amazing how much Champ gets ignored because his position isn't sexy enough. More importantly, I suppose, the way he plays the position. No balls get thrown his way because he shuts his guy down, so his name isn't mentioned every play on telecasts.

It just boggles my mind that a guy like Vince Young gets the cover of Madden even though he's throwing more picks than TD's. You're a QB, dude. You're a different type of player no doubt, but Vick gets the tar and feather treatment for his passing inefficiency.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#8 » by Elway=GOAT » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 am

MHizzle wrote:Kind of unrelated to him being the best defensive player in the league, but it's amazing how much Champ gets ignored because his position isn't sexy enough. More importantly, I suppose, the way he plays the position. No balls get thrown his way because he shuts his guy down, so his name isn't mentioned every play on telecasts.

It just boggles my mind that a guy like Vince Young gets the cover of Madden even though he's throwing more picks than TD's. You're a QB, dude. You're a different type of player no doubt, but Vick gets the tar and feather treatment for his passing inefficiency.

People rode Vicks Jock early in his career, just like they are doing Young's
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by MHZ » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:02 am

Elway=GOAT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

People rode Vicks Jock early in his career, just like they are doing Young's

I know, I remember it well. I'm saying people aren't satisfied with what Vick does, yet he puts up better numbers than VY. Sure, VY's a rookie, but if he's going to get all the credit for winning games (absurd) and win ROY, I think it's an interesting comparison. Give VY a full season, let defenses adjust and force him to make an un-Godly number of mistakes. Tampa Bay figured out really quick how to defend Vick, in my opinion Vick was and is more talented than Young.

Compare Vick's first season at QB - his second, he only had spot work his first season - to VY's season last year. It's not close. Vick's numbers are better in every aspect, most notably 16 TD's and 8 picks passing vs. 12 and 13 from Young.
Ruben Douglas
Veteran
And1: 25

Post#10 » by Ruben Douglas » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Urlacher
Dark Star
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Dark Star » Tue May 1, 2007 11:45 pm

plummer...that guy can really tackle...HA!
oaktown_refugee wrote:lol @ Cheney as "shooting" guard...
Gibbs
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#12 » by Gibbs » Tue May 8, 2007 2:39 am

Champ is easily the best cornerback, but the best defensive player?

He would stack up against Urlacher and Peppers.

These three are really my best three defensive players in the league.
Metalmilitia404
Junior

Post#13 » by Metalmilitia404 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:27 am

Champ is the best at his position in the game today, but the best defensive player in the league....I dont know.

he is definetely a big candidate though.
Old habits reappear. Fighting the bitter fear.
growing conspriacy, everyones after me.
Fraid ends of sanity, Hear them calling.
Hear them calling me.
EG4life
Junior
And1: 31

Post#14 » by EG4life » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:28 pm

id say yeah
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#15 » by Elway=GOAT » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:54 am

Gibbs wrote:Champ is easily the best cornerback, but the best defensive player?

He would stack up against Urlacher and Peppers.

These three are really my best three defensive players in the league.

He is better than Both imo. Urlacher is more debatable, Peppers is not. Hes not even the best at his position, Richard Seymour is.

Return to Denver Broncos