ImageImage

Kostas Papanikolaou

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

turbostef
Senior
And1: 213

Re: Kostas Papanikolaou 

Post#41 » by turbostef » Sat Aug 9, 2014 1:31 pm

Wow. I am really surprised that Pap finally came over to Houston.

The salary is high....

But as some people said he is a rookie but a very experienced one.

He played pro ball on the highest Level in Europe with Olympiacos and Barelona
and won 2 Euroleague Titles with Olympiacos.
And he was a S5 Player and not a bench warmer.

Additionally he plays for the Greek National Team for years and will be
our main SF even in front of Antetokounmpo.

He played all the greek National Teams including the youth national teams of Greece,
won Gold and Silver at the Under 20 European Championships and is clearly
the best of our 1990er Class.

He just turned 24 some days ago so he can not be really considered old.
For his age he lived a lot of Basketball Experience.

He is quite athletic for a greek Player, he has power and brings in a lot of
Engery. I don't see him being able to play the PF Position especially in the NBA
but he is a good SF.

His shooting is OK, his Defense good although he could be faster on his feet.

I am not 100% sure if his Game fits perfect to the NBA but for sure he is one
of the greeks that could fit better than anyone else except Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Pap is a Euro Player with the ability to play in the NBA.
Giannis is a NBA Player born in Greece :D
www.basket-balls.de

German Euro/FIBA Forum
CoolbeansB
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#42 » by CoolbeansB » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:20 pm

Known as a defender? I like it!
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,864

Post#43 » by inquisitive » Sat Aug 9, 2014 3:14 pm

2 yr is option , so it gives rox some flexibility next season... i really havent seen him play, so don't know what to think.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,382

Post#44 » by red96 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 4:17 pm

What a nice surprise. Im anxious to see how Kostas will preform in the nba, but doesn't it usually take a couple years for most Euro's to adjust? I don't recall many Euro's tearing up the league in year 1.

Either way, he looks to help our depth and gives this team more defense and shooting. Wish it was October already.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Greek
Starter
And1: 449

Post#45 » by Greek » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:23 pm

red96 wrote:What a nice surprise. Im anxious to see how Kostas will preform in the nba, but doesn't it usually take a couple years for most Euro's to adjust? I don't recall many Euro's tearing up the league in year 1.

Either way, he looks to help our depth and gives this team more defense and shooting. Wish it was October already.

Kostas is playing for a European powerhouses from like his 20. He is used to be a role player (important one), he is really hard worker very good attitude, not a diva mentality. So i dont think that he will need 2 years to adjust. Understandable the 1st half will be an adjustment period for him, but he can be a fan favorite with his style.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,864

Post#46 » by inquisitive » Sat Aug 9, 2014 11:56 pm

i think rockets gave him 4.3 mil, but kostas had to pay for his own buyout which was over 1.3 mil...so i think he is making like 3.5 mil
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
CoolbeansB
Sophomore

Post#47 » by CoolbeansB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:29 am

Wow! A 50% 3 pt shooter??!! From the looks of his video highlights, he shoots a lot of three's!
Freefloater
Sixth Man
And1: 892

Post#48 » by Freefloater » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:18 am

if he turns out half the hustler beverley is i will be delighted...
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
Greek
Starter
And1: 449

Post#49 » by Greek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 am

He had great game against France on a friendly game. He actually showed some floor game with some nice assists and straight line drives, and some nice cuts to the basket, plus he played some nice D on Batum. He finished the game with 16 points 5-7 and 6-7FT's
turbostef
Senior

Post#50 » by turbostef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Greek wrote:He had great game against France on a friendly game. He actually showed some floor game with some nice assists and straight line drives, and some nice cuts to the basket, plus he played some nice D on Batum. He finished the game with 16 points 5-7 and 6-7FT's

Not to Forget that he energized the game when france
Build a big lead.

He was the factor to start the Comeback.
www.basket-balls.de

German Euro/FIBA Forum
Freefloater
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by Freefloater » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Greek wrote:He had great game against France on a friendly game. He actually showed some floor game with some nice assists and straight line drives, and some nice cuts to the basket, plus he played some nice D on Batum. He finished the game with 16 points 5-7 and 6-7FT's

what was batums statline?
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#52 » by texasholdem » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Freefloater wrote:

6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal in 20 minutes.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Freefloater
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by Freefloater » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 pm

texasholdem wrote:
Freefloater wrote:

hehe thnx so i guess we have an antidote for batum now....cant wait for season to start to see the new d-edition of rockets...also cant wait to see bev-papa-ariza-adrien-howard on the floor together
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#54 » by texasholdem » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Freefloater wrote:
texasholdem wrote:
Freefloater wrote:what was batums statline?

hehe thnx so i guess we have an antidote for batum now....cant wait for season to start to see the new d-edition of rockets...also cant wait to see bev-papa-ariza-adrien-howard on the floor together

It was a meaningless exhibition game. Don't think it's fair to Batum (or Parsons) to claim that Papa is the Batum-Stopper. Hope you are right but we'll see.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
turbostef
Senior

Post#55 » by turbostef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:16 pm

It was just a friendly game

Last time in 2011 Batum
Killed us (and pap) alone...

Ok Pap has developed since
Then but Batum is out
Of reach (for now ;) )
www.basket-balls.de

German Euro/FIBA Forum
Freefloater
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by Freefloater » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:06 pm

texasholdem wrote:
Freefloater wrote:
texasholdem wrote:

It was a meaningless exhibition game. Don't think it's fair to Batum (or Parsons) to claim that Papa is the Batum-Stopper. Hope you are right but we'll see.

i dont think its fair to claim anything...nobody knows the future...regardless of sample size....but its fun and entertaining to hope for best...
JordanRules
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#57 » by JordanRules » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 am

It's fun that he was teammates with Beverley, Dorsey and even Josh Powell in Olympiacos. It will be easy to adapt. Fans will love his hustle.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#58 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 am

rocketsballin, Beverley only played one year in Euroleague and he was a third string point guard. His time in Euroleague and his success there is greatly exaggerated in USA.

Also, Papanikolaou only played 5 seasons in Euroleague and he was only in the rotation in 4 seasons.
CoolbeansB
Sophomore

Post#59 » by CoolbeansB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:rocketsballin, Beverley only played one year in Euroleague and he was a third string point guard. His time in Euroleague and his success there is greatly exaggerated in USA.

Also, Papanikolaou only played 5 seasons in Euroleague and he was only in the rotation in 4 seasons.

Lets see, Beverley was probably a 3rd stringer because at the time he was a rookie fresh out of school. Papanikolau played 5 seasons and was in the rotation for 4. Also he was considered one of the top players in Euroleague for the past two seasons.
Win and win.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#60 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Beverley was not a rookie out of college. He had already played in Europe before.

Kostas was not considered one of the top players in Euroleague the last two seasons. He was considered a good role players in good teams.

Again, it is these same types of huge exaggerations in USA about what any NBA players did in Europe if they played there. Kostas has never been considered one of best players in Euroleague. That is huge exaggeration and is very untrue claim to make.

You cannot call a good role player in a winning team one of the best players in the league. If that is the case then there are dozens of "top players in NBA" - dozens of them. He was a role player in good teams, that was it.

Just like Beverley was a third string in Euroleague. Rockets managers must do some crazy amounts of propaganda with their marketers and media to get all these fans believing all this hype. Kostas was a role player in Euroleague and Beverley was less than that even.

Return to Houston Rockets