ImageImage

ESPN.com: Houston Rockets trying to trade for Dwight Howard?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Re: ESPN.com: Houston Rockets trying to trade for Dwight How 

Post#641 » by Stebo_SSK » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 am

A BETTER DJ wrote:I think that Houston fans and Orlando fans need to work our GMs to keep the Lakers out of the trade. You guys will have a great team with Dwight... probably keep him once he sees what Houston weather is like and the Asian marketing $$$. The Magic will do well at developing the rooks and pix you give us and will be ready to take over the east when the Miami run is over. Most importantly... working together we can keep the Lakers from getting all the rings the next 2-3 years. I'd love to see you guys take out the Heat in 2013!

That sounds stupid. Houston passing up the opp to get Bynum who is willing to resign would be a bad move. That Toronto pick they have is a 4th pick at best.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#642 » by zapatasblood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:00 am

Rather pass on Bynum instead of helping the Lakers get Howard. See no reason to give up a package that gets the Lakers the 5th best player in the league and we end up with Bynum. Would be a big let down
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#643 » by inquisitive » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

zapatasblood wrote:Rather pass on Bynum instead of helping the Lakers get Howard. See no reason to give up a package that gets the Lakers the 5th best player in the league and we end up with Bynum. Would be a big let down

unless all we gave up was Kmart, Morris, Patterson, and Raps pick to get Bynum taking back only duhon which i have no problem with :wink: ....i doubt Orlando would agree to that.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Stebo_SSK
Banned User

Post#644 » by Stebo_SSK » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm

zapatasblood wrote:Rather pass on Bynum instead of helping the Lakers get Howard. See no reason to give up a package that gets the Lakers the 5th best player in the league and we end up with Bynum. Would be a big let down

But thats essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face. LAL would be a top 2 for the next 2 years at best with this move. Kobe and Nash are on their last leg. This is really a long term move for both teams. Imagine Bynum, Lamb and Lin in 2 years from now? Kobe and Nash likely gone or declined to the point where other teams are competing. Instead you would rather roll with a lightweight European Center and some unproven rookies. Lamb is the only guy they drafted that I know for a fact will be a productive NBA player. Why would you want to forgo a move to keep another team from getting better that in turn makes ur team better? Why stay mediocre while the Lakers would still be a top 3 team in West anyway?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#645 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

no way Morey is dumb enough to sacrifice his young players for Howard now that he's basically said he's going to Dallas if traded there. Honestly think Houston will move on from this while the Lakers will try to fabricate a three team deal with someone else to send Bynum to. It's either that or Orlando can wait until they can get Lopez again. :lol:
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#646 » by MaxRider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:no way Morey is dumb enough to sacrifice his young players for Howard now that he's basically said he's going to Dallas if traded there. Honestly think Houston will move on from this while the Lakers will try to fabricate a three team deal with someone else to send Bynum to. It's either that or Orlando can wait until they can get Lopez again. :lol:

he sacrificed Rudy Gay for Shane Battier
i know he wasn't the GM at that time
BUT IT WAS HIS IDEA!
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#647 » by KiDdFrESh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Why the hell are people still crying about Rudy Gay? Big whoop! What has he accomplished in his career. I am actually quite grateful that the Rockets are not paying him Kevin Durant money. That would be GAY!
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#648 » by moofs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Actually, it's usually mostly Max...
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#649 » by Bruteque » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

MaxRider wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:no way Morey is dumb enough to sacrifice his young players for Howard now that he's basically said he's going to Dallas if traded there. Honestly think Houston will move on from this while the Lakers will try to fabricate a three team deal with someone else to send Bynum to. It's either that or Orlando can wait until they can get Lopez again. :lol:

he sacrificed Rudy Gay for Shane Battier
i know he wasn't the GM at that time
BUT IT WAS HIS IDEA!

Huh? Shane Battier was signed long term, not a 1-year/half-year rental.
b_mind
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#650 » by b_mind » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm glad we didn't keep Rudy Gay.
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#651 » by rocketsballin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 pm

shane was a proven elite wing defender, rudy hasnt played a minute of nba basketball. shane was at a position to HELP us be contenders...unforunately HE WAS the "contending" move :(

but in hindsight i'd keep rudy over shane. this team desperately needed a 3rd scorer. i remember a playoff game vs utah where only 3-4 players got on the scoreboard. jesus thats disgusting
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#652 » by MaxRider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:47 am

rocketsballin wrote:shane was a proven elite wing defender, rudy hasnt played a minute of nba basketball. shane was at a position to HELP us be contenders...unforunately HE WAS the "contending" move :(

but in hindsight i'd keep rudy over shane. this team desperately needed a 3rd scorer. i remember a playoff game vs utah where only 3-4 players got on the scoreboard. jesus thats disgusting

dwight is best center in the nba
let's trade lamb, white, patterson, jones, morris all unproven 1-3 years players for him
:D
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#653 » by A BETTER DJ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 am

AntwanBoldin wrote:probably keep him once he sees what Houston weather is like and the Asian marketing $$$
----------------

Lol

Marketing is what I do and I'm well beyond exceptional at it!

Linsanity is coming to Houston and a gazillion Chinese are going to become Rockets fans. If Dwight is on the team his Asian Marketing value is going to be significantly higher than his US/China marketing in NY or LA could possibly be. His agent's cut on endorsements is 10-20% compared to only 4-10% of his contact. Dwights agent is a greedy Mo-fo and if the Nets owner doesn't have him killed he will make millions off Dwights China endorsements if he is a Rocket.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#654 » by inquisitive » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:17 am

A BETTER DJ wrote:
AntwanBoldin wrote:probably keep him once he sees what Houston weather is like and the Asian marketing $$$
----------------

Lol

Marketing is what I do and I'm well beyond exceptional at it!

Linsanity is coming to Houston and a gazillion Chinese are going to become Rockets fans. If Dwight is on the team his Asian Marketing value is going to be significantly higher than his US/China marketing in NY or LA could possibly be. His agent's cut on endorsements is 10-20% compared to only 4-10% of his contact. Dwights agent is a greedy Mo-fo and if the Nets owner doesn't have him killed he will make millions off Dwights China endorsements if he is a Rocket.

I agree. What alot of people in NY,LA, CHI don't have a clue on how big the Asian market is in Houston. There are alot of mainland Chinese investing in Houston. If you go along Bellaire just past Wilcrest, you can see some buildings that were the earliest direct investments by the mainland Chinese from years ago. You then have apartment complexes further west that are owned by overseas Chinese as well as property downtown.Also, there is a direct connection of Chinese business people in Houston to many industries in China. Then you have Yao's own business ventures and his own management firm. Lin and Howard together is gonna be a booming buisness. Just pure ignorance from people outside of Houston.

When D12 comes here, i'm confident he and his agent will be swayed to stay here. I think that is one of the reasons why Morey is so confident about re-signing D12 too. I do think though that the Rockets will need to win 45-50 games to seal D12's re-signing. The first hurdle is getting him here and then go from there.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#655 » by A BETTER DJ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 am

From the tone of AntwanBoldin's reply it sounds like there is at least 1 person in Houston that doesn't know the Asian market either LOL.

Houston will be a powerhouse with a Dwight/Lin pair combined with whoever is left after the trade. Morey has done a great job of bringing in youth and setting you guys up to get some really good players. Other than Duhon any bad contracts you will get from us can still play some decent ball. Some of them may actually thrive being out of SVGs system. You should have no problem getting 45-50 wins the 1st season and when Dwight gets those huge Chinese endorsement deals it will be hard to walk away from them. Houston will love Dwight as much as Orlando will hate him...
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
AntwanBoldin
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#656 » by AntwanBoldin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Yea Dwight needs that Asian market. To hell w/ winning. Go dive on the floor for Lin turnovers you'll be rich!
Stebo_SSK
Banned User

Post#657 » by Stebo_SSK » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Dwight and Lin does not equal a powerhouse by any means. Its just the foundation for rebuilding and there are still questions on whether Lin can duplicate what he did in that stretch in NY. Dwight is interested in winning now not rebuilding with a bunch of unproven players.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,935

Post#658 » by Effigy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

You probably shouldn't make the trade and just tank like crazy. You'll be set up so well in 3 years if you do that. All the young guys from this year, the Toronto pick, your own picks, maybe getting picks for guys like Martin.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#659 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 pm

I wouldn't mind that, Effigy. The way I see it we have a good opportunity to see what we have, pick up some high draft picks and still have the ability to make some trades down the road. This team is in pretty good shape right now.

Well...as long as we aren't talking about winning! :lol:
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#660 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:38 pm

inquisitive wrote:I agree. What alot of people in NY,LA, CHI don't have a clue on how big the Asian market is in Houston. There are alot of mainland Chinese investing in Houston. If you go along Bellaire just past Wilcrest, you can see some buildings that were the earliest direct investments by the mainland Chinese from years ago. You then have apartment complexes further west that are owned by overseas Chinese as well as property downtown.Also, there is a direct connection of Chinese business people in Houston to many industries in China. Then you have Yao's own business ventures and his own management firm. Lin and Howard together is gonna be a booming buisness. Just pure ignorance from people outside of Houston.

When D12 comes here, i'm confident he and his agent will be swayed to stay here. I think that is one of the reasons why Morey is so confident about re-signing D12 too. I do think though that the Rockets will need to win 45-50 games to seal D12's re-signing. The first hurdle is getting him here and then go from there.

You are right. I don't think that a lot of people outside of Houston truly understand just how deeply tied this city has become to China over the past 15 years.

Actually, I don't think that a lot of people in Houston realize it, either! :lol:

Energy, Oil, Chemical, Shipping...Houston is the focal point for US/China trade. China isn't funding the Panama Canal expansion to get to the East Coast- those supertankers and cargo carriers are heading here.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Return to Houston Rockets