ImageImage

Kevin McHale needs to make changes to his coaching

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

dunleavyjr
General Manager
And1: 54

Kevin McHale needs to make changes to his coaching 

Post#1 » by dunleavyjr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 am

Rockets win X number of games, and then goes on to lose the same X number of games. This has to change. Towards the ending of last season, Rockets were on a winning streak. But then, all of sudden, they went on a losing streak, and eventually cost the Rockets the 8th seed.

McHale has to fix such pattern.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Re: Kevin McHale needs to make changes to his coaching 

Post#2 » by Guy986 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 am

The only way Mchale can fix this team is if he go back in time 25 years and suit up at the PF spot. We'll have one of the better guard/forward tandem in the league.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 am

Start at PG. Make Lin earn that starting spot.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#4 » by Zubby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 am

You expect McHale to turn water in wine?
Jesus doesn't care about basketball...

damn wade sick shot :o
dunleavyjr
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#5 » by dunleavyjr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 am

Guy986 wrote:The only way Mchale can fix this team is if he go back in time 25 years and suit up at the PF spot. We'll have one of the better guard/forward tandem in the league.

The PF position does seem kinda weak for the Rockets. The Rockets actually played better with Patrick Patterson on the inactive list. Do a trade or something.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#6 » by NYK 455 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am

Outsider here, but as an NY fan who saw Lin play in NY and follow him this year, one thing I noticed is his aggressiveness attacking the basket this year is inconsistent. He needs to be banned from shooting the three ball unless he's totally wide open, and should only drive and attack the basket, like he did in the 4th quarter tonight, and during Linsanity for us last year.

That and you guys need a better starting PF. But McHale has no control over that.
phoenixx
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#7 » by phoenixx » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 am

its the same problem as in the beginning of the season. lin and harden are both ball dominant, but lin has the comparative advantage in efficiency when he controls the ball to when he plays off the ball. Harden still has the absolute advantage in both areas, but comparative advantage is what creates an efficient system.
hungsizzle
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by hungsizzle » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 am

why don't we just suit up larry the cable guy? At PF?

any guy is better than Patterson... Jesus f-in Christ patty pat play defense!! and Get a F-in rebound..

my two cents for the day :) cheers!
madbucky
Bench Warmer
And1: 32

Post#9 » by madbucky » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

phoenixx wrote:its the same problem as in the beginning of the season. lin and harden are both ball dominant, but lin has the comparative advantage in efficiency when he controls the ball to when he plays off the ball. Harden still has the absolute advantage in both areas, but comparative advantage is what creates an efficient system.

+1. intelligent post.

Anyways, PG is not an issue for Houston. Lin is 13th in the league in assists among PGs. His 2.1 AST/TO ratio is good enough and about the same as PGs like Curry, Lillard, Collison. His 43% FG% is 16th among PGs, and higher than PGs like George Hill, Nate Robinson, Lillard, Lawson, Westbrook, Jameer Nelson, Kidd, Deron Williams, Conley, Brandon Jennings, Monta Ellis, Ramon Sessions, Felton.

The bottom line for Houston is to improve the defense. The problem with defense is that if 1 out of the 5 players is playing poor defense, you give up points. Whereas on offense, you only need 1 out of 5 players to be able to score.
melman34
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by melman34 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Biggest challenge Houston facing is finishing up the games.Last night,they caught up with dallas so many times i even lost the count,but they could never take the lead.and it was all Harden's fault if you ask me.every time we came close to taking the lead,Harden hogged the ball.killing the time and trying to make a play for himself by either driving to the hoop or taking a silly shot.i was so pissed at him,second unit fights hard brings the game close,stop the Mavericks and the next position,instead of drawing a smart play,we went with one on one.why??????????it was obvious that his shots were not going in,so why force it damn it!!!!

i love this team,the way they play,but if they want to be successful they better start playing as a team.drive to the hoop and open up the lanes for others or kick out the ball to outside,just do smth,anything but taking a silly silly shot!!!!!
msg4k90
Junior
And1: 84

Post#11 » by msg4k90 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

well the reason why lin has to shoot so many threes is because that's where he's at. he stands by the 3 point line because harden or other players pump fake - they drive to the rim but they draw the defenders to the paint. so then their stuck and they pass to lin, he has to take a 3 pointer because he's open.

lin is not a great spot up shooter. and thats why harden and lin aren't great together.

i looked at lin's stats earlier in the season and I predicted his struggles would continue, I knew it. I don't think its gonna change and at best lin won't even play "great." you gotta be kidding me, his averages are

pts: 12.3
assist: 6.3

he is a scoring PG, smh what were the rockets thinking? you get a PG for 20m+ and you don't even know how to use him. and I remember I read some article that said he draws more fouls without harden on the floor, and harden does too when lin is out. so u get 2 players who need the ball to be effective...ok great.

I know I posted this before but the rockets rank defensively

fourth: in 16-23 feet 40.7%

first: in 10-15 feet 45.8%

shawn marion had a good game because of what I just posted. he got free points several times, from what I saw.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#12 » by 90sAllDecade » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 am

He not perfect, but he's been solid and I wouldn't put this on the coach.

There are a couple wins we should have had, like New Orleans and the Clippers without Paul off a back 2 back (and we had 2 days rest).

But a lot of it has to do with the brutal January schedule, 6 back to backs this month, 12 out of 16 on the road. :o

After this month the schedule is a little more balanced, but there are still quality teams to beat. If we don't get it together by the end of next month, then yeah it's probably lotto time.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#13 » by bigbreakfast » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 am

is there a reason why hou went away from Lin + Asik PnR and have Lin be that initial point of attack in this last game against Dallas? I thought they had some success with that during their win streak. I haven't watched most of the rest of this losing streak so I don't know what exactly happened.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#14 » by Durant Durant » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

opposing teams are figuring out the Rockets plain and simple esp Harden. I agree a change in strategy should be in the offing.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#15 » by MaxRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:52 pm

mchale wasn't meant to turn this team around
he was hired so we can suck and get a high draft pick
sampson is supposed to be the future coach when thing get better
unfortunately we are still stuck in the limbo
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#16 » by Zubby » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 pm

No it was Chris Finch who was said to be the future coach and McHale was only going to be here 2-3 years
bballfanatic81
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#17 » by bballfanatic81 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Baller 24 wrote:Start at PG. Make Lin earn that starting spot.

better yet, how about trading lin for millsap? houston fans don't seem to want lin around with harden running all point guard duties anyway..

houston benefits with a pf that can actually play once in a while, and utah benefits with a pg that can actually get all their big men involved. sorry mo williams?
East_Coast wrote:Now that he's a #1 option, we'll see how Harden does. I've said for over a year that he was overrated because of his situation, and that if traded he would be exposed.

^ LoL. man...
bballfanatic81
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#18 » by bballfanatic81 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm

phoenixx wrote:its the same problem as in the beginning of the season. lin and harden are both ball dominant, but lin has the comparative advantage in efficiency when he controls the ball to when he plays off the ball. Harden still has the absolute advantage in both areas, but comparative advantage is what creates an efficient system.

i watched a few games lately, and i don't understand why mchale is relegating lin to the corner. that role is better suited for douglas, parsons, or delfino. there was some ugly basketball being played in boston when parsons and delfino were trying to create. i don't get it..
East_Coast wrote:Now that he's a #1 option, we'll see how Harden does. I've said for over a year that he was overrated because of his situation, and that if traded he would be exposed.

^ LoL. man...
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#19 » by MaxRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Zubby wrote:No it was Chris Finch who was said to be the future coach and McHale was only going to be here 2-3 years

really? my bad
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#20 » by Mr. E » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, Finch is the heir apparent.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Return to Houston Rockets