ImageImage

Rockets Off-Season Priorities

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Re: Rockets Off-Season Priorities 

Post#101 » by texasholdem » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:56 pm

Wisedude wrote:Rockets gave up all their trade ammo to get CP. They don't have the right players that Knicks want, expiring contracts and draft picks for Melo.

Knicks could use Eric Gordon with Derrick Rose leaving. Frank T is only 18 and probably not ready yet to start.

This trade works and I think Knicks would be interested . I'm not advocating for it but I think it is possible:

Carmelo Anthony and Joakim Noah to Houston. Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Ryan Kelly, Tim Quarterman and Shawn Long to New York.
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6903565

With Pj Tucker signed he can replace Gordon as the teams 6th man. Noah is an albatross contact but he could still contribute. He and Nene can alternate games to keep one of them fresh for the playoffs. Knicks would be sending us 44m in guaranteed contracts while we would be sending only about 33m so they would get a big trade exception.

Rockets
F: Ariza, Uthoff, Williams
F: Anthony, Qi
C: Capela, Nene, Noah, Nanu
G: Paul, Taylor
G: Harden, Tucker

It would hurt to lose Gordon but if Morey really wants Anthony I think taking Noah is the only way.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#102 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:05 pm

I do not want the team to deal Gordon. Losing him and taking on Noah is not a good thing.

I'm still not convinced that Melo is worth all of the fuss. I'm content with the team as-is. Just say "no" to overpays!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,940

Post#103 » by K_chile22 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:25 pm

Mr. E wrote:I do not want the team to deal Gordon. Losing him and taking on Noah is not a good thing.

I'm still not convinced that Melo is worth all of the fuss. I'm content with the team as-is. Just say "no" to overpays!

Yeah, anything more than Ryno and a first is an instant no from me
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#104 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:28 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I do not want the team to deal Gordon. Losing him and taking on Noah is not a good thing.

Yeah, anything more than Ryno and a first is an instant no from me

This is still a very well constructed team. I know that Anderson needs to be way more consistent; but losing Gordon's scoring punch off of the bench at the guard position (with no replacement on the horizon) is a step back.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#105 » by TMU » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:31 pm

Give Ryan Anderson the Westbrook MVP treatment, by allowing him to average 20+ ppg and close to triple double and then ship him off to get at least a 1st-round pick instead of having to give up our own 1st. Do it MDA!
fa2011
Senior
And1: 1,009

Post#106 » by fa2011 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:03 pm

Anyone see that Melo's in Houston? Can't link it or see them because of work filters, but if you look at Ben Dubose's Twitter, there's a pic of Melo and his luggage/tag at Intercontinental.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by texasholdem » Thu Jul 6, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm not convinced either but getting Melo could mean the difference in keeping Paul or him being a costly one year rental a'la Randy Johnson.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
jetlife_
Junior
And1: 170

Post#108 » by jetlife_ » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:07 pm

Even though I don't particularly want Melo, it'd almost be worth getting him just to keep him away from the Cavs (or another contender).

But if we're dealing Gordon than I'd rather get back Courtney Lee than Noah.

The Knicks are in an even worse position than the Pacers with George, since Anthony's no-trade clause means he can veto any trade he doesn't like.

On another note, I'm wondering if we couldn't lure a decent big man from the Nuggets for cheap.

With the addition of Millsap, they now have him, Faried, Jokic, Mason Plumlee (RFA), Trey Lyles, and Darrell Arthur. Plumlee or Faried would both be great pickups for frontcourt depth.

I'm guessing they don't want Spaceman though :lol:
PocketRockets
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#109 » by PocketRockets » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm pretty sure morey is sitting put and seeing how everything plays out. IF someone approaches with something, try to milk them for all they got. It'd be funny if Celts didn't get this to work out and lost some picks along the process. Mortgage part of the future to end up in the same spot or worse. If IT's hip really does need surgery, he may be out and then if they've lost avery, smart and Crowder...you can see how bad that team will be.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#110 » by MaxRider » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:27 pm

Read Morey doesn't plan to sign any contract larger than minimum at this moment. He is going to save the BAE till mid season and use it to sign player that just got bought out. And he is going to keep those NG. He will be patient and wait for the right deal.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#111 » by MaxRider » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:29 pm

jetlife_ wrote:Even though I don't particularly want Melo, it'd almost be worth getting him just to keep him away from the Cavs (or another contender).

But if we're dealing Gordon than I'd rather get back Courtney Lee than Noah.

The Knicks are in an even worse position than the Pacers with George, since Anthony's no-trade clause means he can veto any trade he doesn't like.

On another note, I'm wondering if we couldn't lure a decent big man from the Nuggets for cheap.

With the addition of Millsap, they now have him, Faried, Jokic, Mason Plumlee (RFA), Trey Lyles, and Darrell Arthur. Plumlee or Faried would both be great pickups for frontcourt depth.

I'm guessing they don't want Spaceman though :lol:

I don't mind Melo if he is buyout/waive. I just don't want to gave up too much for him. Between Harden, CP3, and Melo. I don't know if anyone would settle to be the 3rd star.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#112 » by inquisitive » Fri Jul 7, 2017 5:35 pm

I doubt the Rockets were interested in Crowder, Bradley, or Smart. Otherwise, we would've heard rumors of Rockets being interested. With Bradley gone and Celts keeping Crowder, i guess it pretty much ends any thought of it.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
inquisitive
RealGM

Post#113 » by inquisitive » Fri Jul 7, 2017 6:01 pm

So Rockets, Blazers, and Knicks are talking trade.... Moe Harkless, Meyers Leonard, Ryan Anderson, Carmelo Anthony

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/762f53b6-4f18-3d55-bd56-fa683c9a6ef5/ss_rumor%3A-blazers%2C-knicks%2C.html

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#114 » by TMU » Fri Jul 7, 2017 10:50 pm

Houston Rockets or Team USA? Regardless of whether or not we get Melo (really don't care for him TBH), I just can't wait for the season to begin.
inquisitive
RealGM

Post#115 » by inquisitive » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 am

James Johnson just signed with the Heat though...not sure if he can be traded that soon

Read on Twitter
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#116 » by TMU » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 am

inquisitive wrote:James Johnson just signed with the Heat though...not sure if he can be traded that soon

Read on Twitter

James Johnson is an awesome player with high IQ, but we have to many ball handlers on the roster and I'm not sure how he'll fit in.
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#117 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Sixers fan here, huge Morey fan. I think Melo would be an awesome fit as he'd get to play in off the ball Olympic Melo mode where he just spots up and scores super efficiently.

Regardless though, after the CP3 deal I'm assuming Morey's gonna need a handful of guys off the scrap heap to fill out this roster (especially if you guys give up Gordon and/or Anderson or someone else for Melo) and I'm really interested to see what he comes up with in his efforts to find some Robert Covington type diamonds in the rough. You already plucked Shawn Long from us which many of us over at the Sixers board were pissed about and think he is a real player. I like giving Uthoff a shot too. Outside of super under the radar Summer League guys he may be looking at I came up with a couple possibilities that could be had for pretty much nothing:

-Hollis Thompson (serviceable defensive wing, 39% career 3PT shooter)
-Thabo Sefolosha for the vet min?
-Deandre Liggins? good defensive wing, no idea why the Cavs waived him for Dahntay Jones
-Pat Connaughton from Portland looks intriguing and could be had for nothing probably.
-Luc Mbah a Moute - great versatile defender that you guys really lack. vet min?
-Brandon Rush for the vet min?
-Alex Poythress, summer league guy who looked decent with us in his cup of tea last year.

Anyways, just spitballing here because I've been daydreaming about what Morey will do with this roster with basically no flexibility and few assets. Good luck to you guys and I hope you find a way to take down GS.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 pm

DikembeFor3 wrote:Sixers fan here, huge Morey fan. I think Melo would be an awesome fit as he'd get to play in off the ball Olympic Melo mode where he just spots up and scores super efficiently.

Regardless though, after the CP3 deal I'm assuming Morey's gonna need a handful of guys off the scrap heap to fill out this roster (especially if you guys give up Gordon and/or Anderson or someone else for Melo) and I'm really interested to see what he comes up with in his efforts to find some Robert Covington type diamonds in the rough. You already plucked Shawn Long from us which many of us over at the Sixers board were pissed about and think he is a real player. I like giving Uthoff a shot too. Outside of super under the radar Summer League guys he may be looking at I came up with a couple possibilities that could be had for pretty much nothing:

-Hollis Thompson (serviceable defensive wing, 39% career 3PT shooter)
-Thabo Sefolosha for the vet min?
-Deandre Liggins? good defensive wing, no idea why the Cavs waived him for Dahntay Jones
-Pat Connaughton from Portland looks intriguing and could be had for nothing probably.
-Luc Mbah a Moute - great versatile defender that you guys really lack. vet min?
-Brandon Rush for the vet min?
-Alex Poythress, summer league guy who looked decent with us in his cup of tea last year.

Anyways, just spitballing here because I've been daydreaming about what Morey will do with this roster with basically no flexibility and few assets. Good luck to you guys and I hope you find a way to take down GS.

Maybe the Sixers could be the third team to get Melo to Houston?

Rockets get: Carmelo Anthony from Knicks
Sixers get: Ryan Anderson and Tim Quarterman and future first rounder (top 8 protected) from Rockets
Knicks get: Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas, Jerryd Bayless from Sixers and Shawn Long from Rockets

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6908525

I know the Sixers frontcourt is already pretty crowded with Ben, Dario, Joel, Richaun and the recently added Amir. Maybe Ben can start at guard like he wants to with Markelle, with JJ coming off the bench. Anderson and Redick would be a great shooting duo for the second unit even at $43 million a year combined.

Knicks might think Okafor (who was drafted 1 spot ahead of Porzingis) still has potential to turn into a solid post player. They wouldn't have to take on Anderson's contract to get rid of Melo.

Edit: The Rockets had Deandre Liggins (well they got his rights from Dallas for cash) and traded him to Clippers for Chris Paul.
inquisitive
RealGM

Post#119 » by inquisitive » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

TMU wrote:
inquisitive wrote:James Johnson just signed with the Heat though...not sure if he can be traded that soon

Read on Twitter

James Johnson is an awesome player with high IQ, but we have to many ball handlers on the roster and I'm not sure how he'll fit in.

I don't think it meant us getting JJ. It just meant those players were involved in a mult team deal with us getting Melo, but i could be wrong.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

inquisitive wrote:
TMU wrote:

Read on Twitter

I don't think it meant us getting JJ. It just meant those players were involved in a mult team deal with us getting Melo, but i could be wrong.

He just signed a new contract 5 days ago with Miami so he can't be traded anytime soon.

Return to Houston Rockets